Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2016, 14:14   #16

Re: Yachting from Miami to Trinidad

Neither of those boats is made for offshore passage making. And neither is safe for your plan. You might want to investigate having it shipped. It could be less than you think. And don't forget to include import duties.
dgz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 14:17   #17

Boat: bare boat charter world wide

Fuel, and a sailing vessel...

Last year we sailed a jeanneau 36i, Bareboat with Conch Charters, out of Road Town, BVI. Two weeks thru most of the BVI, with good winds and sailing every passage.

Two weeks, upon returning, they had us motor across road harbor to the fuel dock. Took a grand total of 7.2 gallons of diesel. Mostly due to charging up the batteries while on moorings for the evening. Two weeks...seven gallons.

For the endeavor of sailing/ motoring nthroughout the Caribbean, perhaps, more investigation on purchasing a strong, well found, blue water motor vessel might be a good plan.

Also agree, should you purchase a boat, learn that vessel and every system, part, and handling in all conditions, and become well familiar with the vessel before heading out.

As noted, a sailing vessel is much more stable that a power boat, but if you are not an experienced sailor, then you have to take lessons, and get some blue water off shore experience as well. That may not be an option.

Lots of things to think about, but everyone here wants you safe and have a rewarding experience.

Good on ya, for posting on this forum. There will be plenty of well meant suggestions to help you .
bvisailing32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 15:05   #18

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Trinidad View Post
Hi everyone.. I hope you are well..
I'm in process of buying a mini yacht - 2 options - 33ft regal twin engine (454) or a Silverton 34 express with same twin engine capacity.
Would like to boat this through the Great Lakes from Canada to Miami, then from port in Miami the intention is to island skip down to Trinidad..
Can anyone advise on the challenges I may face with this type of boat.. It's obviously not a sail boat so refuelling is one of my concerns. Wide beam so I'm hoping would be more stable than a sailboat. Also how well this type of boat should/would hold up to the elements out there??
I've boated all of my life but never out in the open sea with my own vessel.. I've fished a lot out there and though rough at times I realize that weather has a huge part to play so I'm thinking that if I plan well?
===

I owned a Bertram 33 with twin 454s for a couple of years. It was a good boat in most respects but the fuel range with a 325 gallon tank was only 140 miles or so. It burned 2 gallons of gasoline per mile which is typical for those engines. Gasoline (petrol) in the Carib can cost as much as $10/gallon which makes your operating cost somewhere north of $20/mile. Definitely the wrong boat for the islands unless you have an unlimited fuel budget.

The other issue is durability. Regal and Silverton make a decent inshore boat but they are not designed or built for bashing through 5 to 10 foot waves which you will definitely encounter at times in the Carib. You will soon develop structural issues if you try. You'd be better off to look for an older Bertram, Hatteras or Viking with diesel engines. They will also burn a fair amount of fuel but you'll have tankage for longer range and a well built boat.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 18:33   #19

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Yes, you could install diesel engines in those boats and still save money on fuel costs. The idea would still be very bad. Do you realize that you could truck the boat to Panama and save a fortune. It might help to elaborate on exactly what your cruising dream would be. I don't think it would be bashing through heavy seas in a light cruiser, as beautiful as the area is.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:37   #20

Many thanks for the insight guys.. Sure has changed my thought on process quite a bit. This would explain why there wasn't much literature about my choice of option. I've seen videos on YouTube showing bloats in 19ft jet boats making the crossing so this may have been a bit misleading.
I will be honest as to why I wanted a cabin cruiser vs sailboat and that's the constant swabbing from side to side.. Though I do consider myself a water baby this still on occasion will get me hanging from the bow. Also some images of sailboats living on one side in rough water.. not my 1st choice in comfort that's all..
I was thinking that if I could get a cabin cruiser across I would be set for life (Minus hijacking an oil rig or 3)
The honest opinions are well appreciated as with this venture safety was my concern. Maybe I will venture with one of two that was recommended above - buy sail and trade up once I get home or ship to dest. Shipping and customs looks to be 16k usd so maybe I just do the bigger sail boat.. What's the smallest to largest recommended size sail for both speed and comfort in your experiences?
Also what to look for in a blue water boat?
You guys are awesome thanks.
M-A
Mr. Trinidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:50   #21

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Sir, you don't seem to know the difference between a powerboat and sailboat's stability in open seas. The sailboat is going to be a much more comfortable ride. The powerboat is the one which will be doing the ''swabbing'' you speak of. Yes, the sailboat will be heeled over by the wind, but it is going to stay heeled over. I recommend that before you buy anything you try both types in open seas. Seasickness, well that is something most people get over with some time at sea, medications usually help if not cure the problem all together. There is threads on the subject on the CF. By the time you buy a boat and learn to pilot it seasickness will probably be a thing of the past. If you can afford one, look into a smaller catamaran, they sail upright.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:02   #22

Hi Lloyd I appreciate your feedback and you are absolutely correct. I came here seeking input from others more experienced than I for just that reason. All my life I have owned high powered speedboats and I admit to have never boated or sailed on the open sea on my own. I've fished in open water off the coast of Mexico, Puerto Rico, Thailand, Panama, Mauritius, Seychelles, Koh Tow, Tobago etc and these were all onboard 30-35 vessels. No sailboats other than my younger days in a 21 footer sailing Lake Ontario. I don't even remember the terminology. My business partner stated the same as with the catamaran but I was a bit shy on the 200+ they were asking. FYI - trucking anything to Panama is not as great an idea as one may think & you may take my word on this.

Wayne many thanks for the input on both the Regal and Silverton. This is exactly what I was hoping to establish as most in Ontario had just mentioned the fitting of an internal cooling system to make the journey. Though I somewhat expected the gas costs I pegged it more in the like of under 10k and as well value the safety of myself and whomever will be accompanying me on this voyage.

Bvi - You're probably bang on.. I'll invest some time in a course once more to make sure I understand the real challenges in blue water sailing and then re-evaluate. There's a beautiful c&c 38 for just under 70k CAD that I just found online.

Folks you've all been great.. Not sure if mid life crisis or what but I'm 40, done most of any that one could hope in a lifetime and now I just need a change of direction to slow my pace. I'd like to return home but with a great adventure and maybe the comfort of knowing that if I would like to go through the Tobago cays for a weekend with a lovely lady then I can and probably will in confidence.
Btw I'm accepting applications for those as well

When I figure out which direction I'm taking I'll be sure to make some updated posts and maybe have you folks onboard for dinner if ever we cross paths on passage.

Stay blessed to you all, safe yachting and thanks again for your time..

Marc-A.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:20   #23
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Poor Mr Trinidad got a bit of a caning...

However, to main point of cruising in the Caribbean on a motor boat the size the OP suggests.

I will add: Motor boats one often sees in the ICW or cosatal waters and Bahamas.

Many would make an excellent livaboard cruising boat in the Caribbean BUT there are very very few!
Theres a couple of De Feaver 50 type boats but couldn't count them on a hand or 2.

Getting a boat there is no trouble, chuck it on a ship after doing a great cruise down the Mississippi.

In the Caribbean the waters are fairly protected and the islands only a few miles apart. You can SEE the next island. If you pick the weather a 34 footer has no problem getting up and down the islands. Lots of locals own them.

As for fuel prices, well, of course you are outside the USA, but its never $10 per gallon, thats the Pacific
$4 per gallon, I think? Currently 99 cents per litre in St Martin?

Shipping would be cheaper than the fuel burn on a pretty arduous trip from the Bahamas to the VI's. Ring Tropical Shipping in Miami, Florida and see what their rate would be to St Martin, and then cruise from there.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 14:58   #24

Lol indeed Mark. It was to be expected I'm ok with it..
I'll be sure to investigate the options you'd mentioned.. As a result of all the great feedback I've managed to broaden my options quite a bit.
All very welcomed information.
Have a great evening..

Tags
miami, yacht