Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2014, 11:40   #1

Boat: RH52
Xperia Z (sgp311) users

I am a Xperia Z user and would very much like to know how many members are also users of this tablet.
I have now managed to root the tablet and install Linux
I will be happy to provide the steps for both.
However, I don't know much about android or Linux so I don't know which version of Linux got installed or where the install is in the tablet.
I can see the Linux desktop using a vnc viewer but everything looks so small I am sure there is something I did wrong ...
I will live it at that and wait to see if there are other Xperia users interested in rooting or sharing their installs.
The objective is to install OpenCPN in my tablet.
Need to know the opencpn Linux version to install.
Thanks for the help
Felipe
felipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 10:05   #2

Re: Xperia Z (sgp311) users

Which Linux installer did you download from Google Play?

Depending on the Linux flavour you have installed, you may have two alternatives for installing OpenCPN in your linux chroot environment. You can try using an .rpm or .deb package, or compile and install OpenCPN from source. Since you are new to linux installing a package should be your first choice.

I recommend you use Linux Deploy to install Debian Wheezy since there is an OpenCPN package that should work.

Complete instructions are here: opencpn.org/ocpn/node/193

Regarding the 'tiny' nature of anything displaying in linux, this is on account of the Experia's high resolution. If you use bVNC Free from Google Play, pinch and zoom should help to overcome the 'tiny' issue and at any resolution on any device avoid inadvertently deleting a route or other important work.

Note the reference in the instructions to the forum where recent discussion and assistance is available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felipe View Post
I am a Xperia Z user and would very much like to know how many members are also users of this tablet.
I have now managed to root the tablet and install Linux
I will be happy to provide the steps for both.
However, I don't know much about android or Linux so I don't know which version of Linux got installed or where the install is in the tablet.
I can see the Linux desktop using a vnc viewer but everything looks so small I am sure there is something I did wrong ...
I will live it at that and wait to see if there are other Xperia users interested in rooting or sharing their installs.
The objective is to install OpenCPN in my tablet.
Need to know the opencpn Linux version to install.
Thanks for the help
Felipe
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 14:16   #3

Boat: RH52

Hello Wrong, Thanks for your reply
I downloaded and installed Linux Deploy. I also installed the terminal and the viewer. Yes, I can make the viewer work better by zooming in/out. After I start Linux Deploy, it creates a set of mounting parts...

Mounted parts on linux
* /
* /proc
* /sys
* /sys/fs/selinux
* /dev
* /dev/pts
* /dev/shm
* /mnt/0
Available mount points
* /system: 0.8/2.0 GB (ext4)
* /data: 5.3/11.4 GB (ext4)

And many more... I am unable to "copy and paste" while using the terminal... is there a way?

How can I make the available mount points, available?

I will read again the instructions and try following them... will post results.
Thank you!
felipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 16:12   #4

While you can use linux commands in a terminal to copy, delete, rename files and much more, you will find operating on files much easier with the FX file Explorer downloadable from Google Play. You must also download the FX root extension from G.P.. Read the instructions again. It's all mentioned there. See the thread discussing OpenCPN on androids at the location referred in the instructions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felipe View Post
Hello Wrong, Thanks for your reply
I downloaded and installed Linux Deploy. I also installed the terminal and the viewer. Yes, I can make the viewer work better by zooming in/out. After I start Linux Deploy, it creates a set of mounting parts...

Mounted parts on linux
* /
* /proc
* /sys
* /sys/fs/selinux
* /dev
* /dev/pts
* /dev/shm
* /mnt/0
Available mount points
* /system: 0.8/2.0 GB (ext4)
* /data: 5.3/11.4 GB (ext4)

And many more... I am unable to "copy and paste" while using the terminal... is there a way?

How can I make the available mount points, available?

I will read again the instructions and try following them... will post results.
Thank you!
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote