Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2008, 16:01   #1
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
Wireless network questions

Hi all this is JC on board a CL41 at the BVI.

I am thinking in getting a lon range WiFi antenna to put up one of the masts but instead of wiring down to the on board computer I would like to get an access point (router?) right next to the antenna where I can re-distribute wirelessly the picked Internet access point on land.

Thanks
Old 26-12-2008, 05:56   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 - Pamela
Basically your looking at getting 2 wireless routers. The first one should be a commercial grade device operating in the station mode to receive the signal from the shore based AP and the second one can be the identical unit operating as an access point or just a an office grade wireless router depending on whether you want to distribute to multiple computers on your boat or cover a number of adjacent boats.

If you are just looking to distribute signal to multiple computers onboard then you can install the office grade router below. If you want to rebroadcast to the anchorage you'll want another commercial grade unit topsides.

If both units are operating topside then you need to keep the AP's frequency as far as possible from the frequency used by the shoreside AP and you need some seperation between the antennas both vertically and horizontally to avoid interference.

IMO if you are going to redistribute a shoreside AP signal to the general public you need to get permission from the owner of the AP. They'll probably find out quickly anyway.

Bob Stewart
W32PAMELA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 06:27   #3

Boat: 34ft Ganley Shadow, bilge keels
agree on the redistribution, its not unlike stealing bandwidth. i'm most curious about the distance from the shore based signal? do they have a good cisco 802.11# bridge/ap (3000 series) with an omni antenna? (good for several km's) they would also have encryption or mac address filters which would prohibit most from simply "hacking" into it.

wireless internet access has dropped in price a good deal lately, 13 years ago it cost me $30k a month for a 64kb connection into samoa, these days i get 6Gb/7Mbps a month for $100 its so damn cheap even the pensioners buy their own.
bruce in oz is offline   Reply With Quote