Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-11-2014, 07:08   #16

Boat: Tartan30
Re: Winter ICW Advice Needed

It's going to be fine! It's not the arctic circle. Some layers of what you already own will probably work. As has been said...once you get to the Carolina's things will warm up. Meeting the bridge schedules will me more of a pain than anything...lol good gloves and good watch cap and good socks. It will be great! A few years ago I got to sail in snow flurries on Pamlico Sound....it was sooo cool!!!!! That lasted a little while and later that day I was sweating while working on the boat. Bright clear cool days. I am VERY find of my handheld spotlight for the night time running if needed and a very good pair of binoculars. There are many fuel barges that move at night. You will just have to push over to the side and let them go by. Enjoy and let us know how it went. I am on active captain as Scotty Daum s/v REHAB out of New Bern NC

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 22-11-2014, 08:52   #17

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorian 35

Never run the propane heater without the companion way hatch open and you awake and seated or standing...no lying down, because the dead thing can be a problem.

Old 23-11-2014, 00:52   #18

Boat: irwin 37 center cockpit

i should be getting to Norfolk after thanksgiving( weather permitting before, but it doesn't look to good, in Chincoteague inlet now) Yeah, I know, should have taken the del-ches canal after leaving cape may, but no, I belived the weather forecast. any way, it sounds like we'll be going down at the same time. (i'm in a 31ft Irwin) it was cold as could be last night, and it looks like some "stowe" weather coming up again. (with that said, I did wear my snowboard suit while taking advantage of a calm night. wasn't bad, lots of shooting stars) one of the things that I did add to my boat was a 2200 watt generator. makes it easy to keep the heat, t.v.,and charge the cell and laptop in area's that are shut down. hope to see you somewhere down there!
Old 23-11-2014, 05:41   #19

Boat: Cornado 25

At least I'm not the only one running late.... Ah well, two most dangerous things on a boat are a watch and a calendar.
Old 23-11-2014, 06:09   #20

Boat: sabre 28

You'll be motoring a lot so you could install a heater that connects to the closed water loop side of your heat exchanger. This way the inside of you boat stays warm during the day while your moving south. Get yourself a warm sleeping bag, you'll be good to go.
Old 24-11-2014, 19:55   #21

Boat: 1979 Hunter 30 Cherubini

The Mr Heater has a CO sensor/shut off.
Old 24-11-2014, 21:40   #22

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

I use the Mr. Heater Little Buddy as well, for several years now. And more in my off grid cabin back home. Takes ten or fifteen minutes to get my boat toasty warm and usually run it thirty minutes or so at a time. But that's to save gas, not because I'm concerned I'll die.

It's designed and approved for indoor use. Heats 200 sg. ft., has an O2 depletion sensor, and a tip over sensor. Warnings include to provide adequate ventilation and don't sleep with it on. Oh, and California says it will give you cancer and not allowed in a "dwelling home". Can you tell I still have the manual?

Running two or three times in the evening as needed and then again once first thing in the morning works well for me. Makes it easy to get up and going in the morning because I light it from my bunk without getting up and wait a few minutes for the cabin to warm up.

A refill adapter valve to fill the small tank from big bottle is convenient and saves money.
Old 25-11-2014, 06:20   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea7King View Post
The Mr Heater has a CO sensor/shut off.
From what I've read they have an oxygen-depletion sensor, not a CO sensor. The instructions for ventilation and not leaving it on while sleeping make sense. We manage to use propane stoves and other combustion products without dying, but you have to be safety conscious. I advise buying a couple battery-powered carbon monoxide (CO) detectors at Home Depot/Lowes/Walmart and mount them in the boat if you have any possible source of CO onboard (engine, generator, propane stove, furnace, etc.) Cheap peace of mind. Mount them on bulkheads rather than external surfaces - we had one on the deckhead (headliner) and got a number of nuisance alarms whenever it got really cold.
Old 26-11-2014, 21:01   #24

Boat: 1979 Hunter 30 Cherubini

Lodesman, you are correct. Losing my memory along with my hair. ;>}

I do have a CO/Smoke detector aboard though.
Old 28-11-2014, 07:38   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

I always liked the 'bus heater' option. You'll be motoring all the way most likely and they provide safe, dry, heat. Hamilton Marine has lots... Just bypass valves, hose and clamps, and 12v for the fan to install... Hard to beat for long ICW runs.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Scott Berg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 07:49   #26

Boat: Tartan 40

Another trick I've heard of for small boat heating- a clean ceramic flower pot upside down on your stove. Run the stove for 15-20 min and the radiant heat will continue for hour+ afterwards.
Good thing this time of yr is most strong winds are N or W quadrants. So favorable. If you have RF jib can spare diesel in some stretches or at least motorsail.
Bad news about this breeze is in many places it'll blow the water out of the bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 28-11-2014, 10:13   #27

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

If you have the means to heat up a gallon of water, sleeping with a gallon jug as a hot-water bottle is a real treat on cold nights. Insulated under the covers it'll keep warm most of the night.
Old 29-11-2014, 04:51   #28

Boat: Ericson 34

... I mean I've done camping in the cold and snow when I went to school in Blacksburg a couple years ago, So I know it can be done with a grimacing face and the proper equipment. I don't really have any winter sailing gear, so that's probably the place to start. I just need to be pointed in the right direction whether that be a book, blog, website, gear, or insult. There is almost too much information out there and it becomes a haze trying to analyze all of it. Probably just dumb panic. There is always the option to put the boat on the hard in VA and sort it out when it gets warmer next summer. The problem is, I doubt that I'll ever get this type of flexibility ever again and don't want to waste it. I'm sure it will be an interesting experience regardless.

Thanks for any input [/QUOTE]

Hi ! I've just reached Beaufort NC waiting for my windvane made in Germany... late of course 'cause of Thanksgiving ! I've just finished my trip on the ICW after sailing down from northern Chesapeake... I left on November 18 & I FROZE ! I anchored every other night for $ reasons: One suggestion: get two quilts or one quilt & a hot mama for the rest of the gear, the other sailors will tell you
Old 29-11-2014, 07:01   #29

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

I would want to get south of Va as soon as you can. I once walked across the ICW in Coinjock! As folks have already said layers are the answer! Start early as days are very short and have a safe trip. It really is no big deal!
Old 29-11-2014, 07:51   #30

Boat: Her Shine Newburyport 37'

Last week I had thick frost on the decks in the AM St Johns just south of Charleston, SC. And it was a chilly 27* but the afternoon was nice. Wear layers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	414.1 KB
ID:	92517  

Tags
icw

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: