Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-01-2016, 21:48   #16

Boat: Manta 40
Re: Wild Woman is sailing out from FLL to Bimini

If the wind is blowing out of the East, you can anchor in the lee of the island. You might want to spend your first night at the marina when you check in. Bimini Big Game Resort is where customs is located and is a nice resort. The marina right before Bimini Big Game is Bimini Blue Water Resort. It's a two minute walk to customs and the rates are very reasonable. They'll even likely allow you to tie up to the fuel dock to check in assuming you buy fuel.

We prefer anchoring out and don't typically stay at a marina for long.

Anchoring on the West side of North Bimini close to shore near "Bimini Road" is a good spot.

We also anchor in Nixon's Harbour in South Bimini, with good protection from North/NE winds.

Some people reportedly tuck in on the west side of South Bimini just outside the pink townhouses/Bimini Sands Marina, although we have not.

And don't forget that Gun Cay, North Cat Cay and South Cat Cay are all located very close and provide additional anchorage choices.

As for leaving South Florida - we live right at the Hillsboro Inlet. We typically sail to Miami, spend the night in Marina Stadium and leave out Governer's Cut or stay in No Name Harbor and leave out of Cape Florida Channel.

Make sure you wait for a good weather window for your crossing. Recommend leaving at first light to ensure you arrive prior to dark. You don't want to cross the gulfstream with North winds.

Have an awesome trip!

Jason
Breathe - Manta 40

Old 21-01-2016, 08:35   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
I took it to mean that the fetch (of unspecified length) had a depth that varied from 0' to 4'.
Oh, I get it! It always amazes me how I can read something, wrongly interpret it all, and later see the real meaning. I sometimes struggle reading online without the inflections presented in a personal conversation. So, over the expanse of the fetch, the water is shallow! Thanks FSMike, for clearing that up!

Old 25-01-2016, 07:47   #18

That must be her, she was painted blue in December '14 so you might not recognize her. I bought her in September '15, she was docked in the Miami Yacht Club. The prior owner owned her since 2006, but he bought her also in a Marina in Miami so there probably was another owner. Would be nice to title her back to 1983 ; ))

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfarmer View Post
If you leave from Miami... it's pretty straightforward...

BTW... I once owned a 40 foot CC named Wild Woman in Newport, Rhode Island... maybe the same boat? if so...small world... that was back in @1996 I sailed her up from Florida...
Old 25-01-2016, 15:42   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
-----We typically sail to Miami, spend the night in Marina Stadium and leave out Governer's Cut or stay in No Name Harbor and leave out of Cape Florida Channel.
-----
Yep. Unfortunately, scuttlebutt I hear indicates they may finally get serious about no anchoring in the Marine Stadium due to moving the boat show">Miami Boat Show there. That would be a shame because that's a great place to wait out a norther. We'll have to see.
In pleasant conditions it can also be nice just to anchor off the west side of Key Biscayne and leave from there. Miami has a colorful skyline for a sundowner.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:16   #20

Location: Panama / Bahamas / Newport RI / Marathon Fl (now mostly)
Boat: Bristol CC 41.1

As I recall she was a fast slippery boat.... and perfect for the Bahamas with that center board up. Good sailing!

Tags
bimini, sail, sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: