Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2016, 17:44   #1

Which MFD/charplotter/radar?

Shiva is still using a Raymarine C80 with a 2KW radar. The unit is fine but I fear it will die or the radar and then it's time to replace. But the question is with what?

Technology has marched on and will continue to. I am not looking for lots of bells and whistles and having a B&G T7 not thrilled with touch screen... perhaps hybrid.

I don't spend much time at the nav station... don't bother with routes and waypoints are easy to set up so I don't have extensive waypoint libraries nor see the need for them.

I would like radar in the cockpit and I suppose N2K allows that. My T7 sits in a winch under the dodger so if it could display radar that would be fine. I haven't learned the T7 interface, but perhaps a Zeus T9 to replace the C80 would make sense... and a B&G radar... with the T7 on an N2K network... I assume I can then get radar at both locations.... with the fat cable connected to the one at the nav station.

I am rather clueless and overwhelmed by the options out there. I do want to have repeaters in the cockpit dash.... replacing the old B&G.. probably with a few 4x4 mfds.

Is there some place where I can really kick the tires on these units? Are there any experts who I can consult with to help make the choice? I am facing a pretty substantial change... probably abandoning the old stuff... maybe keeping the T7.

Comments? Suggestions?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 19:22   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Which MFD/charplotter/radar?

There is a new kind of radar now, different tech, higher res. etc. Raymarine I think
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 08:03   #3

Boat: Oyster 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
Shiva is still using a Raymarine C80 with a 2KW radar. The unit is fine but I fear it will die or the radar and then it's time to replace. But the question is with what?

Technology has marched on and will continue to. I am not looking for lots of bells and whistles and having a B&G T7 not thrilled with touch screen... perhaps hybrid.

I don't spend much time at the nav station... don't bother with routes and waypoints are easy to set up so I don't have extensive waypoint libraries nor see the need for them.

I would like radar in the cockpit and I suppose N2K allows that. My T7 sits in a winch under the dodger so if it could display radar that would be fine. I haven't learned the T7 interface, but perhaps a Zeus T9 to replace the C80 would make sense... and a B&G radar... with the T7 on an N2K network... I assume I can then get radar at both locations.... with the fat cable connected to the one at the nav station.

I am rather clueless and overwhelmed by the options out there. I do want to have repeaters in the cockpit dash.... replacing the old B&G.. probably with a few 4x4 mfds.

Is there some place where I can really kick the tires on these units? Are there any experts who I can consult with to help make the choice? I am facing a pretty substantial change... probably abandoning the old stuff... maybe keeping the T7.

Comments? Suggestions?
I had even older Raymarine with RL70 in cockpit and RL80 below. I changed everything which included getting new radar. I sold the old items on eBay. I sold all the NT+ cards too

I now have C120 in the cockpit. Best not to have touchscreen so no grubby finger prints all over the screen and allegedly more reliable. Since the MFD transmits on wireless, I have a 12 inch android tablet at the chart table and an Sony waterproof 8" tablet at the helm. I am glad I waited to get a MFD with wireless as saved on buying a repeater display.
I also got an AIS transmitter so that its all integrated.
New Raymarine software is great
TudorSailor
Tudorsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 11:15   #4

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

Go to your local West Marine and play with all the different models. Ask questions. Even better, go to the boat show in Annapolis or Newport where the various vendors are showing off what they have.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 11:27   #5

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter

loving my all Garmin setup. Low cost, easy install, intuitive interface, great radar, good charts, reliable operation. 4000nm so far and no complaints.

ymmv...

bg
NSboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 11:34   #6

Boat: Hylas 49

As others have said, you REALLY need to get your hands on the units. I doubt a Ray radar will display on a B&G MFD. Find the unit you find to be most intuitive. Build your system from there.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar