Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-03-2012, 12:12   #16

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: Which hand bearing compass to buy

For Android phones, check out the "Smart Compass" app.

Nice clear little hand bearing compass -- uses the phone's rear-facing camera to look "through" the phone, with the compass bearing superimposed on the view. Not something you would want to leave by your side in a wet cockpit, but handy nonetheless.

Old 04-03-2012, 14:33   #17

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty469 View Post
I read that in a SAIL mag. They also used clothespins.
Great minds think alike, I suppose...
...but I can see clothespins moving too easily. Even a dot of Liquid Whipping on the "deck side" of the lifeline in a bright colour would work. You just need to use it like the bead on a gunsight to know when you are X degrees off, and then replicate that angle on your chart when you can do it on the opposite side of the boat. It's surprisingly accurate. If you REALLY want accuracy, take bearings with a sextant to landmarks X and Y. Two LOPs later on a chart, you have your position where they cross.

But few people need that much accuracy or have that level of "keeping the sextant still".

Old 04-03-2012, 14:42   #18

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
It's surprisingly accurate. If you REALLY want accuracy, take bearings with a sextant to landmarks X and Y. Two LOPs later on a chart, you have your position where they cross.
At one time sextant makers produced what were known as sounding sextants just for that purpose. These allowed for simultaneously measuring the angles of three geographical features to fix one's position when approaching land.
Old 04-03-2012, 14:53   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 42' Bob Perry sloop

The OP said he was going to the BVI for the first time.

I'd say, based on over 40 years of sailing there, that a good set of 7x50 binoculars with a built-in compass would beat any hand-bearing compass hands down for utility and fun (don't forget, there's a lot to see in the islands).

You don't have to pay $500 for the Fujinon Polaris or Steiners, either. Perfectly adequate ones can be had, e.g., for:

Nikon: $199

Pentax: $199

Bushnell: $137

EyesKey: $109

Hammers $99

... all new and currently on eBay

Bill
Old 04-03-2012, 14:57   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here's another vote for the Plastimo Iris 50. My only beef with it is that the phosphorescent dial grows dim pretty quickly. At night I use my headlamp to "charge" it, covering it with my hand to protect my vision. It glows well enough for a few minutes. Otherwise it's a great compass -- easy to hold, to read, and well-damped.

I've got some nice binocs with an illuminated compass, but I actually prefer the Iris 50 for general use such as monitoring crossing situations.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 16:38   #21

Boat: contessa 32

Another piece of equipment with limited use that takes up space,must be maintained etc, etc. etc..
If you are sailing along, I find it is reasonably accurate to just sight over the compass that you are already staring at. Furthermore, your steering compass is already the best compass on the boat with known deviation and proven reliability (it got you there didn't it?). Compass mounted on a binnacle is easiest but my current boat has dual bulkhead compasses and I can contort my head around to get a good bearing on things behind.For super accuracy especially in rough conditions ,Just put ships nose on any point and read off your steering compass, way more accurate than any handheld when the deck is pitching and spray everywhere.

FWIW: my dated garmin GPS (475) has a pointer that you can use to get an instant read out of any identified object on its chart.
Old 04-03-2012, 20:29   #22

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
At one time sextant makers produced what were known as sounding sextants just for that purpose. These allowed for simultaneously measuring the angles of three geographical features to fix one's position when approaching land.
I learn a lot around here. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2012, 15:14   #23

Boat: Le Guen Hémidy, Lévrier de mer, 16 m / 53 ft, "AZAWAKH"
Re: Which Hand Bearing Compass to Buy

The alternative to the Plastimo Iris 50, is the Latitude Mini-Morin 2000 which is the original hand bearing compass with such design (small, surrounded by rubber...) and is also sell by westmarine with their own designation.
We have both onboard and enjoying them equally.

For all these compass, always "bear" in mind that glasses may impact the reading and the values, metallic ones of course.

Tags
compass

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: