Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-11-2009, 17:24   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SettingSail2009 View Post
How was installation?
Did you go for a splitter, or did you install a second antenna dedicated to the AIS?
What do you view the information on?

I really appreciate your help.
I didn't go for a splitter for the following reason - by example - In a busy waterway, I pick up another close proximity boat and want to agree how to pass, so I switch off my AIS - right when I need it most - to talk to him on VHF. So I installed a 2nd dedicated antenna. the cost difference is insignificant

I view info on a PC based Maxsea

Old 07-11-2009, 06:32   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkman View Post
0300 in the English Channel!
A picture worth a thousand words. Best single image I've seen for teaching the value of AIS to newbies.

Old 12-11-2009, 21:31   #18

I also am running the Comar unit, no complaints but I will receive only. I'm to slow to be transmitting what I am and direction and speed to a bunch of yahoo's that might be up to no good. I have flir and radar to find them
Old 13-11-2009, 01:02   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecsjr View Post
I'm to slow to be transmitting what I am and direction and speed to a bunch of yahoo's that might be up to no good. I have flir and radar to find them
Are there units that allow you to turn off the transmit?
Old 13-11-2009, 02:36   #20
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
The easy TRX can be switched off for transmitting in case of pirate infested territory.
We have been using these units on a few of our cats and they work fine and the service of the producer is outstanding. My 2 cent worth
Gideon
Old 13-11-2009, 07:19   #21

Boat: Ovni 445
Thank you everyone for your help and input.

I've decided to go with the Comar CSB 200 Class B AIS Transponder after talking to Mike Wyatt at Milltechmarine. Mike has been a real help and his prices are good, so if anyone is looking for an AIS, I recommend getting in touch with him.

The only thing I now need to get is an MMSI number, because you can't purchase a transponder without it.
Old 18-11-2009, 12:30   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Quote:

I've decided to go with the Comar CSB 200 Class B AIS Transponder after talking to Mike Wyatt at Milltechmarine. Mike has been a real help and his prices are good, so if anyone is looking for an AIS, I recommend getting in touch with him.

The only thing I now need to get is an MMSI number, because you can't purchase a transponder without it.
The MMSI is issued by the country your boat is flagged in if that makes any sense. What are the supposed advantages of the Comar over the more affordable models? Would you care to elaborate? Thanks
Old 18-11-2009, 13:15   #23

What about this unit?

| Cactus Marine (US) : Nasa AIS Black Box Receiver (Nasa 010.185) |

Does anyone have any experience with it, especially connecting it into a chartplotter? From what I read it is very popular in Europe and the price sure is right.
Old 20-11-2009, 01:24   #24
NDH

Boat: Dufour 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoe71 View Post
What about this unit?

Does anyone have any experience with it, especially connecting it into a chartplotter? From what I read it is very popular in Europe and the price sure is right.
Had it connected to a laptop, worked OK, no problems. Have recently gone over to an AIS transponder, Marine Electronic Service Ltd - AIS - AIT250 AIS TRANSPONDER SYS (CLASS B) At least we show up now, providing of course the other vessel is equipped and looking
Old 20-11-2009, 02:06   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDH View Post
Had it connected to a laptop, worked OK, no problems. Have recently gone over to an AIS transponder, Marine Electronic Service Ltd - AIS - AIT250 AIS TRANSPONDER SYS (CLASS B) At least we show up now, providing of course the other vessel is equipped and looking
I was considering that unit, they do have some very reasonable prices at that shop.. By EU standards, anyway
Old 20-11-2009, 03:03   #26

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000
NASA AIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoe71 View Post
What about this unit?

Yup I have a NASA box connected to a Northstar plotter...separate VHF aerial ...works a treat...easy to use...clear and info about vessels...speed, course,,, couldn't be better

AND it was the cheapest option on the market

Cheers

Alan
Old 20-11-2009, 18:02   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
There are two different black boxes from NASA - the older type and the newer one.

I think the newer black box is actually white. Something like they 'added' the second channel or paralleled it or something. Some price, white color, better specs.

NASA website.

b.
Old 23-11-2009, 17:46   #28

Boat: S M Hudson 60' narrowboat
Send a message via Skype™ to richardhula
Quote:

I have one as well so can compliment you on your choice. Comar do have a version of their set-up software that allows transmit control to save hard wiring switch. Contact Peter Cotton at Comar for it or I can PM copy.

Been using it for over two years now without issue although first unit had intermittent boot problem which was quickly resolved by Comar with replacement board.

Don't expect great range when receiving Class B signals. I've seen average around 8nm or less from other Class B equipped vessels so never assume any better with my own transmissions. That's with dedicated antenna BTW which I recommend.

If in doubt RTFM
richardhula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009, 18:07   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless Again
Borrowed a boat with a masthead antenna and fired up my new West Marine AIS transponder and Vesper Watchmate yesterday. Everything seemed to work OK--the GPS locked on and all the indicator lights showed proper operation, but was unable to receive any AIS signals in the Santa Cruz harbor or verify that the transmitter is working. I need to find someone with AIS in the harbor for the next test.
Old 23-11-2009, 19:28   #30

Boat: S M Hudson 60' narrowboat
Send a message via Skype™ to richardhula
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
There are two different black boxes from NASA - the older type and the newer one.

I think the newer black box is actually white. Something like they 'added' the second channel or paralleled it or something. Some price, white color, better specs.

NASA website.

b.
The earlier NASA units wouldn't decode class B signals although I know of at least one cruiser who modded his.

They all use fast switching single channel receiver to monitor both AIS channels in order to keep price down. Only drawback is possible delay in receiving a ships static data, transmitted less often anyway.

Great value device but remember it's just a receiver when comparing prices.

If in doubt RTFM
richardhula is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, AIS

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: