Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2010, 14:14   #1

Boat: Jeanneau SO 45.2
Where Is the Atlantic High ?

We'll be doing the ARC this Nov. -- crossing the Atlantic east to west. I have never done "the milk run" and am studying up on it. I certainly understand all the stuff about the trades and the wind from DDW.

I have crossed the Pacific once on the Vic-Maui race. In that race, the presence and location of the Pacific High was a major factor in navigating our course to Hawaii. We sailed south, but where we turned right to head west was sort of dependent upon the location of the Pacific High.

I am not as familiar with the Atlantic High, but I assume it has a similar effect. Can anyone tell me where the Atlantic High is in relation to its historic location? Is it higher, lower, or about the same as where it usually is this time of year? And if you have the skills, can you further tell me what that location translates to in terms of the type of weather we can expect?

I guess last year's ARC enjoyed near perfect conditions. Asking for that 2 years in a row might be asking quite a bit, but I remain optimistic.

Thanks for you input.
nelson.peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 16:42   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
I wouldn't be too concerned with the position of the high; your wind for the first week will be dependent on any lows between you and the high.

You should be studying daily at sailing europe atlantic-route wind (gfs) + 0 utc

You may see one of three patterns at the start

1. Wind has filled from the NE in the Canaries, and will continue for several days (a nearby low has or will recently clear out).
2. Wind is/will be light NE in Canaries, but stronger further south.
3. Winds are/will be Westerly/Southerly in Canaries.

First situation, you may be able to rum line it.
Second situation, dive SW for Cape Verdes
Third situation--crap shoot, go for the new wind. Sometimes the best winds are just off the African coast, sometimes you are better off going west. Follow the boat with the highest priced navigator.

Have fun
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 17:08   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson.peter View Post
Can anyone tell me where the Atlantic High is in relation to its historic location? Is it higher, lower, or about the same as where it usually is this time of year? And if you have the skills, can you further tell me what that location translates to in terms of the type of weather we can expect?
Well, right now its lower and weaker than typical, but in 4 days is projected to more 'normal'.

The atlantic high does not define the Canaries to Carrib crossing as completely as the pacific high does the run to Hawaii. The canaries crossing is more influenced by low latitude bubble lows and tropical waves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1016.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	441.0 KB
ID:	20166   Click image for larger version

Name:	1020.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	436.4 KB
ID:	20167  

estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 18:47   #4

Boat: a sailing boat
Hi,

You can see the current situation and forecast at NOAA website. A large and sparse download of grib will also give you a general idea.

It is nearly November so do not expect the High to be very potent.

I am in Las Palmas too, if you feel you need any weather related support you can contact me via a PM.

Cheers,
barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2010, 09:16   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Numerous Surface Pressure charts, and much more

surface pressure 12 gmt + 0 pressure gfs atlantic (north) weather maps weatheronline

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2010, 14:30   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

I am in Las Palmas too,

Cheers,
barnie
Me too. Have sent a msg to hook up.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2010, 23:49   #7

Boat: Jeanneau SO 45.2
non-ARC net

For those considering an Atlantic crossing NOT part of the ARC, there is an informal net setting up for those leaving Canaries and Cape Verdes Nov.-Dec. I do not have the time and frequency of the net as of yet, but I can put you in touch with those that do.

nelson.peter1(at)live.com
nelson.peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 02:14   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson.peter View Post
NOT part of the ARC, there is an informal net setting up for those leaving
Thanks Peter, I have emailed you.

Old 21-10-2010, 03:49   #9

1027-29 forecast in 48 and then possibly to stay like that for another 2-4 days.

Like a good window starting tomorrow for those who want to go now towards Cap Verts.

b.
Old 21-10-2010, 18:01   #10
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
In my experience stick with the 20n30W turning point. rhum line runs have tended to be problematic and somewhat of a crap shoot.

The biggest issue can be windless days pushing south, it can get dicey on the diesel.

dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 08:12   #11

IMHO stick to the reality rather than to an imaginary turning point. The point was set in times when we had no weatherfax, no gribs nor satellite phones. It was a good practice back then and a guarantee of success 6/10. Boats were square rigged and optimized for broad reaching and running. Today we have better boats and weather practices available. Use them.

Weather situation and forecasts are broadcast daily (or more often) to the fleet. Use them wisely. If conditions dictate going West this is what should be done.

Use the days with light weather to position yourself to the side of the track that will be more convenient when the wind comes back.

It is not a race it is a rally. Go with the flow and enjoy the ride ;-)

b.
Old 22-10-2010, 09:11   #12
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Boats were square rigged and optimized for broad reaching and running. Today we have better boats and weather practices available. Use them.

Go with the flow and enjoy the ride ;-)

b.
yeah, this boat does beter on a reach than a dead run.

I will be at sea while the ARC is on but dunno if I will be before it or after it. It would be fun to plot a few other boats positions (I will be further north than them).... just one problem: why are radio scheds always so early in the bloody morning? I just can't listen to static before my early morning coffee at 11 am!

Old 22-10-2010, 14:35   #13

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Quote:
1027-29 forecast in 48 and then possibly to stay like that for another 2-4 days.

Like a good window starting tomorrow for those who want to go now towards Cap Verts.

b.

I think I'd be looking at the National Hurricane Center website before I jumped off towards the Cap Verts.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 16:43   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

It would be fun to plot a few other boats positions (I will be further north than them).... just one problem: why are radio scheds always so early in the bloody morning?
You have a tracker at ARC site, all boats are shown. Last year they said that this year all boats would be carrying Yellowbrick trackers, so maybe also on Yellowbrick site.

The sched had been set up by the organizers and these are Brits. Getting up that early is considered a virtue and also a healthy habit in that cold foggy country ;-))) But to me getting up before midday is a bit of an overkill.

b.
Old 22-10-2010, 16:53   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I think I'd be looking at the National Hurricane Center website before I jumped off towards the Cap Verts.
Yes, and Wunderground has a good and quick graphic update too. Victoria University has a long range graphic forecast too.

Underway you can download US weatherfaxes by sending a brief text e-mail to their server. In return mail you receive the fax. Once the fax is onboard a small grib download is a luxury.

b.