Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2017, 16:59   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Where Have All The Chronometers Gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Jeff, I'm wondering how you determined that you had accomplished this astonishing feat of navigation?

Jim
Considering that he is claiming an accuracy to about 3 seconds of arc, I'd say he is making the claim based on the Precision of his solutions, not the Accuracy.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 17:57   #47

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Darn, I forgot about my Inreach. My previous post should have said eight independent GPS devices
Cutin it kinda close don't you think?
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 20:25   #48

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Question forthe group: Has anyone any wisdom about how quartz wristwatches, ie Casios, aare affected by lightning strikes? Especially ones with metal cases...

Having spoken to a fair number of folks who had electronics damaged by strikes, none of them mentioned anything about their watches. Was it that there was no damage, or that the monetary loss of a Casio is so small compared to the losses in other electronics that no one cared?

Otherwise, those watches a so damn reliable that I just don't worry about them!

Jim
Old 15-04-2017, 20:41   #49

Quote:
Question forthe group: Has anyone any wisdom about how quartz wristwatches, ie Casios, aare affected by lightning strikes? Especially ones with metal cases...

Having spoken to a fair number of folks who had electronics damaged by strikes, none of them mentioned anything about their watches. Was it that there was no damage, or that the monetary loss of a Casio is so small compared to the losses in other electronics that no one cared?

Jim
One could always keep them in a specially built faraday cage to protect them.

Take them out for sightings...
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 21:37   #50

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Suppose that's OK when you only sail a small boat in one Bay
I did did most of my sailing, last year, on Lake Harriet, and somehow I always managed to find my way home.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 04:04   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Sextants and chronometers can be beautiful collectors items as well as function for navigation as they did for many years in the past; however at these times, it is quite safe to cruise far from the lakes and bays without knowing the time of day or the day of the month.

This remains true even with the threat of lightning when back-up devices are safely stored. There can be endless, "But, what if..." arguments to say you need all types of extra safety gear, but each skipper will need to draw his own line to manage risk.
Old 16-04-2017, 05:20   #52

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Question forthe group: Has anyone any wisdom about how quartz wristwatches, ie Casios, aare affected by lightning strikes? .......

Jim
Normally worn on the wrist.... after a lightning strike the owner most often doesn't really care...
Old 16-04-2017, 06:32   #53

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
None of ours got affected by none of the hits we witnessed.

But we were never hit directly nor by a side strike.

This much said I remember reading about a boat that took a direct hit and her boat clock (the kind of decorative quartz movement some boats have on the bulkhead inside) was killed.

So probably this depends on how close to the bolt you keep your Casio.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 09:13   #54
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:

Jim
My answer with lightning is al always who the $;&@ knows. When we got hit the handheld gps inside the chart table was fine but the sitting on top of the chart table, separated by 1/2" of plywood was fried... I have no idea how to explain the difference.

In my admittedly scarce experience with lightning I am convinced that it's like magic, or an evil elf, it just does whatever it wants, and all you can do it pick up the pieces afterword.

If you really want to ensure a time piece makes it thru a strike... I would buy a gps watch like a garmin or the new Apple Watch, take the battery out, and store it in a small faraday bag. If you ever get hit, pull it out, insert the battery, and you should be up and running in a few minutes.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 14:39   #55

Thanks for the responses re watch survival in lightning strike scenarios.

I'm not actually concerned myself, but was curious as to other's experiences. If truly worried, it seems that putting a watch in a small and very well constructed Faraday cage would be simple, and would likely be completely successful in protecting the watch.

A side note: as a cruiser, I wear a watch most of the time. Not to tell the time of day, for I can estimate that from sun angle, etc, but to know what day of the week it is. The grog shops are often closed on Sundays in some countries...

Jim
Old 16-04-2017, 15:19   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
A side note: as a cruiser, I wear a watch most of the time. Not to tell the time of day, for I can estimate that from sun angle, etc, but to know what day of the week it is. The grog shops are often closed on Sundays in some countries...

Jim
Post of the day!
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 16:05   #57

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

no, my 'nautical antique collection' is pretty much limited to whats on board - including a sextant which doesnt get a lot of use because the only really accurate timepieces aboard are built into the handheld GPS, the mobile ph. and the tablet...not to mention most nav in this part of the world can be done from the main bunk by sticking my head out of the cabin hatch and having a quick look to make sure i'm not going to bang into anything for a while.
my curiosity about chronometers is just a thoughtbubble but i found the wealth of information in the answers very interesting - thanks to you all...i'll continue to keep an eye out but i must say the cost of maintaining a workable chrono consigns the idea to a curio at best - as Barnakiel pointed out - if needs must a noonsight and a bit of latitude reading would do at a pinch.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 16:19   #58
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:

Jim
Well, I AM impressed!

You can still estimate time from the sun angle on the the days the grog shops are open...

An art I have sadly lost
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 16:36   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Well, I AM impressed!

You can still estimate time from the sun angle on the the days the grog shops are open...

An art I have sadly lost
Not to hard at all, although I did stuff up this weekend and forgot to input the error for public holidays

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 16:47   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Well, I AM impressed!

An art I have sadly lost
Wottie, it sure is a good thing you live in Oz, where the grog shops hardly ever close and Blue Moon gin is always available!

Hope all is well in Geeveston and Kermandie...

Jim