Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 31-08-2017, 13:59   #16

Boat: 42 Leopard- Sunk by Irma
Re: When is Best Time to Sail the Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roniszoro View Post
Hi Jeff;

By aged out I mean doing it singlehanded, which is my desire. (I'll soon be 74.) This November I'm taking my 35' sloop to the Abacos, singlehanding, and leaving it there and flying in a few times a month for 5-7 day sails. I may haul out there in June for the hurricane season if I don't return to Florida, and I would then make the jump to the Caribbean in mid November 2018 on the route recommended by Tor Pinney. I do sail a lot and within the last year sailed with a friend on his 44' sloop from Newport to Bermuda and then on to St Maarten. I joined him for a number of trips to various islands and we did the Caribbean 600 Race. But I wished I'd been able to stop at some of the islands we raced by and drop the hook.

Regards,
Ron
Ron, good on Ya. you are well ahead of me, sailing wise. I too will be single handed sailing, just hoping to be able to still do it at your age. Fair sailing Ron!

Old 31-08-2017, 15:13   #17

From Miami, 5-6 days east then a week south. Depending on your distance made good.

Old 31-08-2017, 16:44   #18

Boat: Moody 54

Don't skip the Abacos. Beautiful islands just a quick jump from each other. Half deserted. Half small town. Google Pam Walls- she is a Bahamas expert with great itineraries and advice.
Old 25-09-2017, 19:56   #19

Boat: Pearson 303
Thumbs up Re: When is Best Time to Sail the Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaKube View Post
Don't skip the Abacos. Beautiful islands just a quick jump from each other. Half deserted. Half small town. Google Pam Walls- she is a Bahamas expert with great itineraries and advice.
2nd that, did the Abacos last January/February. Hopped down the coast on the outside until West Palm then over to Freeport and through the Abacos to Hope Town. Could've been warmer, but definitely not crowded!
Old 23-10-2017, 07:14   #20

Anytime in the Bahamas are good (hurricanes excepted), if you don't mind crowds. If you do, hit it about mid April. By May1, the mega yachts vanish.
Old 23-10-2017, 08:34   #21

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

Have done it both ways. By far the better plan is to go offshore to the Eastern Caribbean and then hit the Bahamas on the way back. From St. Martin or the Virgins it is down wind and down current all the way. Probably one of the most pleasant passages I have ever sailed. Beating your brains out upwind from the Bahamas going east is doable but not what I would call a pleasant relaxing sail. Hard on the boat too.

Tags
Bahamas, sail

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: