Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2008, 03:57   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
I must be getting old, but all I seem to put on my wrist these days is a blood pressure monitor.
Not sure what the figures mean though...
Finger and wrist blood pressure devices do not measure blood pressure very accurately. They are extremely sensitive to position and body temperature
The American Heart Association recommends an automatic cuff-style upper arm monitor. Wrist monitors are not recommended because the brachial artery in the upper arm gives a more reliable reading than the wrist artery.

* The top number is your systolic pressure, the pressure created when your heart beats.
* The bottom number is your diastolic pressure, the pressure inside blood vessels when the heart is at rest.
Thus, a blood pressure reading of "120 over 80" means you have a systolic pressure of 120 and a diastolic pressure of 80.

Blood pressure readings fall into four general categories, ranging from normal to stage 2 hypertension (high blood pressure). The level of your blood pressure determines what kind of treatment you may need.

Systolic / Diastolic = Category
<120 / <80 = Normal (except if very low = hypotension)
120-139 / 80 - 89 = Pre-Hypertension
140-159 / 90 - 99 = Hypertension, Stage 1
>169 / >100 = Hypertension, Stage 2

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2008, 04:14   #62

Boat: Lavranos 39 S/v Continental Drift
I yust got my new Amazon.com: Casio Men's Pathfinder Multi-Band Solar Atomic Black Watch #PAW1300-1V: Casio: Watches

I love it, smaller, solar powered, atomic clock, compass, baro ,etc and Time.
bmartinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2008, 14:16   #63

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
I wear a Breitling with a titainium band that I bought more than 12 years ago. It is on my wrist always. Other than having the battery replaced for the third time, it has been great.
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2008, 12:42   #64

I wear everyday an old scratched up heavy stainless auto-winding Breitling Superocean with a stainless band, it has a black face.
I also have an identical Superocean with a blue face and a slightly fancier stainless band, its in excellent condition and polished highly, then there is the third Breitling that I do not wear often especially since it uses a battery that only lasts a year and thats the titanium Aerospace, it has the gold bezels.

But overall that heavy clunky Superocean is the most dependable watch I have ever owned, you do need to wind it up manually if you are not wearing it for more than a day or so.
Silverado6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2008, 14:01   #65
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

The Aerospace should give you a 3-year battery life, reliably. If not then your source is selling you old old batteries that are already half dead, or there's something wrong with the watch. Unfortunately, Breitling-US provide customer service that makes a good reason to buy a Timex.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2008, 15:45   #66

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
My Aerospace has been going thru a battery about every 4-5 years and the one time I sent it to Breitling USA I received a quick turnaround and excellent service. Just had the gold bezels replaced, it looks like new again.
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2008, 17:50   #67

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
My Aero space broke and went back to Switzerland for new innards. $500 dollars later it is just like new. Currenly I'm wearing a Breitling Evolution. I've also got a Chronoavenger in Titanium but my favorite boat watch is my titanium Casio Stars and Stripes that is solar powered and one tenth the cost of the band on the Evolution.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2008, 03:53   #68

Boat: Dix 43 CC, steel, 43 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to Stranded Mariner
I have an Omega Seamaster, which means much to me, as it was a birthday gift from my wife for my 40th. Also have a TAG Heuer, which was actually a Christmas present from my employer. Don't need a lot of features, as I am not racing.
Old 19-10-2008, 07:21   #69

Dinghy racing usually the Suunto M9, big boat racing nothing. All the numbers are right there, no need to wear a watch.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2008, 11:08   #70

Boat: Privilege 37
This thread has become a My Toy is better than yours and is not really adding anything to our knowledge.

Instead of bragging rights about what space age technology we have on our wrists, this thread would be much more usefull if people commented on what facilities their watches have and which ones they actually use/find usefull.

Mine is waterproof and tells the time - sometimes correctly.
Old 19-10-2008, 12:26   #71

Well thats a fair comment to make, I have a collection of watches like one that sits on its display case now for several years now its a Citizen titanium Blue Angels version Navihawk, its too pretty to wear.
I always wonder why so much is said of owning a Rolex, I was never interested in one solely because its now just an everyday status symbol, like who cares? Fake Rolex watches are a dime a dozen, biggest amount of spam I get is sellers trying to unload one on me.

My Superocean is the older original version, its like wearing a brick, would be a deadly weapon if I were to hit someone with it, real solid high grade stainless steel, I have dunked it in tar, fuel oil, cleaning solvets, paints and corrosive chemicals like calcium chloride that will eat up my stainless Leatherman knife blade, not a blemish on this watch.

Lots of people have no idea what a Breitling is until I tell them what it costs brand new, I bought all three of mine on Ebay and yes they are real, loads of fakes available and some are very hard to tell from the real thing.

Thats the big problem, too many fake status images nowadays starting from the top like Obama, its too easy to acquire that "I got it" image and thats the problem nowadays, I prefer tools and personal items to be something worth investing that will actually be worth something decades later. This pic is what mine would look like brand new, mine is scratched up and not so polished, my other one does look like this one but with a fancier band and has the blue face, best doggone watch I have ever owned, will pass one on to my son someday unless he wants a GPS/cell/text/TV/biofeedback watch.
Silverado6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2008, 13:11   #72

Fair enough, here is why I use the M9 racing dinghys.

Time: Calendar, 3 alarms, dual time, stop watch, GPS time synchronization
Weather: Absolute barometric pressure, last 6 hour weather trend graph, temperature, 48-hour memory, weather alarm
Compass: Tilt compensated, Bearing, bearing tracking, bearing to waypoint (when navigation is active)
Sail: Speed, heading, distance, GPS navigation data, MOB function
Navigation: 50 routes, 500 waypoints, guidance to waypoint
Racing: Sailing timer, start line bias, distance to start line, lift / header calculation, distance to layline

Mostly I use the racing functions but I guess it tells time.

Big boats have elctronics that are easier to use and much better then the M9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
This thread has become a My Toy is better than yours and is not really adding anything to our knowledge.

Instead of bragging rights about what space age technology we have on our wrists, this thread would be much more usefull if people commented on what facilities their watches have and which ones they actually use/find usefull.

Mine is waterproof and tells the time - sometimes correctly.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2008, 13:16   #73

Boat: 2004, Hunter 36
TAG, 10th year with that watch on my wrist, every day, whatever I do, quartz-date-time..thats all.
Rastarea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 12:38   #74

I disagree that the rolex are just a everyday status symbol. I have had a Rolex Submariner for over 8 years. I have neither had it serviced and it is always on time. It is worn every day Through heavy construction works and Sports. Sailing (Power boat). Diving. Potholing and Rugby. Johnny
johnnyreno13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 15:53   #75
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Jonny, no one doubts that Rolex builds a fine mechnical chronometer-certified watch, although one can easily figure out there's a LOT of profit built into each price. Watches of similar quality have always been available for way less.

The problem today has been that "chronometer quality" just means the watch is capable of being adjusted (during some weeks at the factory) to an accuracy of not less than two minutes per month. Heck, my '68 Accutron was rated to the same standard and actually holds better than 15 seconds (consistantly slow) per month, and I could tweak it tighter if I really cared to. Any cheap quartz watch today will keep the same 15 seconds per month, many exceed that.

IF your Rolex really is keeping better time than that--it only proves that you leas a uniform lifestyle, and you have a "Winchester one in one thousand", i.e. the one that exceeds the norms for the product. Treasure it.

Then again, most folks wouldn't notice if there watch varied a minute or so each month, and you can indeed change the speed of a Rolex (and most mechanical watches) by over 30 seconds PER DAY simply by taking it off at night and positioning it properly. This is all old news to watch buffs. The trick to the new quartz watches, is that they are CONSISTANT and don't suffer from these variations at all.

On your Rolex with 8 years without servicing? All you have to do is dive to the bottom of a large pool, stay there a minute, and you'll flood the watch out. Oyster stem and case or not--it relies on rubber seals, which degrade with sweat, and soap, and grit and dust. Without an annual or second-yearly servicing to replace those, your Rolex will do what pretty much all watches do, even in the shower. It will flood.

Damn shame about that, but so far there's only been one wathc built that's hermetically sealed--and that went off the market long ago.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote