Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2008, 20:07   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post

Mine is waterproof and tells the time - sometimes correctly.
I have a dead citizen and it is accurate twice a day
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 13:04   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Jonny, no one doubts that Rolex builds a fine mechnical chronometer-certified watch, although one can easily figure out there's a LOT of profit built into each price. Watches of similar quality have always been available for way less.

The problem today has been that "chronometer quality" just means the watch is capable of being adjusted (during some weeks at the factory) to an accuracy of not less than two minutes per month. Heck, my '68 Accutron was rated to the same standard and actually holds better than 15 seconds (consistantly slow) per month, and I could tweak it tighter if I really cared to. Any cheap quartz watch today will keep the same 15 seconds per month, many exceed that.

IF your Rolex really is keeping better time than that--it only proves that you leas a uniform lifestyle, and you have a "Winchester one in one thousand", i.e. the one that exceeds the norms for the product. Treasure it.

Then again, most folks wouldn't notice if there watch varied a minute or so each month, and you can indeed change the speed of a Rolex (and most mechanical watches) by over 30 seconds PER DAY simply by taking it off at night and positioning it properly. This is all old news to watch buffs. The trick to the new quartz watches, is that they are CONSISTANT and don't suffer from these variations at all.

On your Rolex with 8 years without servicing? All you have to do is dive to the bottom of a large pool, stay there a minute, and you'll flood the watch out. Oyster stem and case or not--it relies on rubber seals, which degrade with sweat, and soap, and grit and dust. Without an annual or second-yearly servicing to replace those, your Rolex will do what pretty much all watches do, even in the shower. It will flood.

Damn shame about that, but so far there's only been one wathc built that's hermetically sealed--and that went off the market long ago.
I do have to alter the time on occasions. I am not disputing that. I have had this Rolex for 8 years. Through all sports and my work in construction. I have neither had a service or any leaks. And as far as diving i think i know more than a talker than you.I have this watch for the looks, strengh and the precise time keeping. You may know more about sailing than me and probably most. I know about Rolex i own one. Johnny
johnnyreno13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 14:33   #78
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Don't quite know what your diving remark is about, but I've been a certified diver well over 30 years, and I've had plenty of personal experience with dive watches and 'water' watches, including Rolex.

Including the conversation with a Rolex autorized sales/repair station in the islands, where I brought my non-Rolex non-diving watch because of an accident while snorkeling on a reef. The authorized rolex technician said "Yeah, no problem, we get plenty of that (flooding) even on the Submariners."

It ain't my opinion, it is the learned opinion of the entire watchmaking industry that the gaskets--even in Submariners--need to be regularly replaced, or they WILL FAIL UNDER PRESSURE. Measure it in g-shock or in PSI, operating or non-operating, they all still fail under pressure as they age.

Rolex, Omega, Breitling, Bulova (which once was a real contender), Seiko, Casio...ask any and all of them, you'll get the same answer. Service it annually--or you'll pay to repair it, unless you're treating it like a plain wristwatch.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 07:13   #79

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Don't quite know what your diving remark is about, but I've been a certified diver well over 30 years, and I've had plenty of personal experience with dive watches and 'water' watches, including Rolex.

Including the conversation with a Rolex autorized sales/repair station in the islands, where I brought my non-Rolex non-diving watch because of an accident while snorkeling on a reef. The authorized rolex technician said "Yeah, no problem, we get plenty of that (flooding) even on the Submariners."

It ain't my opinion, it is the learned opinion of the entire watchmaking industry that the gaskets--even in Submariners--need to be regularly replaced, or they WILL FAIL UNDER PRESSURE. Measure it in g-shock or in PSI, operating or non-operating, they all still fail under pressure as they age.

Rolex, Omega, Breitling, Bulova (which once was a real contender), Seiko, Casio...ask any and all of them, you'll get the same answer. Service it annually--or you'll pay to repair it, unless you're treating it like a plain wristwatch.

Thanks for your advice. I have now Taken my watch in to be serviced. Johnny.
johnnyreno13 is offline   Reply With Quote