Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2008, 16:11   #31
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Dan-
If you want to time races, you are pretty much confined to a digital and simply replacing the battery--typically every 2-5 years, no big fuss.

I have a "good" watch but have heard from too many jewelers and finally accepted the fact that no "good" watch is waterproof worth a damn--iuncluding the Rolex Oysters--unless you are willing to have them serviced and re-gasketed every year or two, at a significant price. At that point you can buy an expensive digital (like the Suunto) every 4th year and throw it away and still come out ahead of the same.

I'd say to find the digital that offers the most of what you want, and just call it the "boat watch". The EcoDrives and Seiko Kinetic all come as close to "forever" and "zero maintenance" as you can get, but as long as there is a stem and rear gasket and crystal to be sealed? It will need regular maintenance if you want to rely on it being watertight. The chrono buttons *might* be magnetic switches but more likely are simply o-ring sealed, more o-rings that will break down with time, sunblock, sweat, etc. getting to them.

Might as well get what has the features you want, and if you want to look a little dressier...that annual servicing is just the same as a dry cleaner's bill for suits.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 16:49   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Plenty of Replies - That's Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Dan,

Whatever you decide on, make sure it has a sturdy band. I had a brand new Swiss Army analog with a leather strap stripped right off my wrist and into the water during a sail change in a race. A fold of the luff between hanks grabbed it and, Zip, it was gone!
I was hoping this topic would be getting plenty of action.

I used to be a "watch" guy and have Seikos. Citizens and a Rolex from my younger (and flying) days that I don't wear and have they no batteries.

I wear my Swiss Army watch too much - It is my "20 year" watch from work and has a metal band. It's 7 years old so it's only a matter of "time" before a pin breaks and it goes overbaord - that would be a shame.

I have a cheap Casio that I try to remember to wear sailing. It times but the velcro band has lost all it's velcroness and is held together with a rubber band - After a spinnaker douse I looked over at the leward rail and there was my Casio hanging one strap over the rail. I was able to rescue it that time.

Thanks for all the ideas - I guess my next step is to go looking - I hate shopping.

I think the feature I "want" most is the countdown timer with the ability to synch during the countdown if you miss a flag. That limits the choices somewhat to "racing" watches so Suunto, Ronstan, Gill and Optima might be on the short list. I hear different reports about Suunto reliability.

Christmas is coming so I gotta get my wife calibrated soon.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 17:17   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Christmas is coming so I gotta get my wife calibrated soon.
Do you get her calibrated against the standard wife held at the International Bureau of Weights and Measures, Sevres, Paris or against some other standard?

Hadn't thought of getting it done before - seems like a good idea given the high standard of the models I have seen in Paris .

John
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 19:03   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLandOne View Post
Do you get her calibrated against the standard wife held at the International Bureau of Weights and Measures, Sevres, Paris or against some other standard?

Hadn't thought of getting it done before - seems like a good idea given the high standard of the models I have seen in Paris .

John

You don't know me very well... My standards are much lower than that (smack - "Oh, Hi honey. Didn't see you standing there!)

Actually my wife is a real keeper. I keep her in the galley.

No, really. You are a great crowd - Try the fish.... before it expires and don't forget to tip your server...
Old 11-09-2008, 20:41   #35

Boat: Irwin sloop
It seems like the more expensive the watch, the faster I lose it.My dad was an engineer with the Great Northern RR. and wore his big gold Hamilton on a chain and buttoned in his pocket. He also wore a Timex with a leather band for 26 years just in case. I've had his timex for 14 years and it still keeps on tickin. It suits me just fine. Jesse
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 21:28   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
The price of a watch is directly proportional to the probability of losing it overboard or breaking it.

Ya know..those cheap Casio's really are good watches. I would bet that Murphy's Law applies to watches as well. There are probably more submerged $5000 Rolex Submariners than there are submerged Casio's in this world.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:48   #37
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Dan,
Surely you dont have to travel far to get any number of copy watches. That way, you can try almost every watch made without spending too much.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:52   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Dan,
Surely you dont have to travel far to get any number of copy watches. That way, you can try almost every watch made without spending too much.
My Taiwanese Lorex used to be my favorite watch - LOL...
Old 13-09-2008, 02:30   #39
Armchair Bucketeer

Broke me Casio last week. Had it for 3/4 years - bit too many gadgets, but it looked ok. Watch is still working fine. and the strap also. Just where they meet is fooked

So went watch shopping yesterday - was thinking Rolex - on the basis that I have never had one, but for me they scream 70's medallion man / 90's Pimp bling ....but the stuff from the 50's and 60's looks cool - just I suspect not very practical......

Ended up with a £25 (that is cheap here) Lorus. How long will it last?.......only time will tell
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 06:08   #40

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Citizen Stars and Stripes in Titanium - about $300 or Breitling titanium chrongraph. Citizen has race timer and is solar powered.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 06:15   #41

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
15 years since I wore one, but it was a Seiko divers watch

Dave
Old 13-09-2008, 06:22   #42

I remove my watch when on board. I have enough digital clocks in easy viewing range, 2 count down timers on the companionway... Watch is only something to foul on line and why do I need to consult my watch?

Watches really are bling these days. I have several which I use for different look/feel. In fact I hardly ever look at it for time. Cell phones have perfect time, GPS have perfect time. Car has a clock. Radio is announcing time continually.

The watchband pins break on they end up in Davey Jones Locker. What a dumb idea.

Why do you need a wrist watch?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 07:40   #43
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post

Watches really are bling these days. I have several which I use for different look/feel. In fact I hardly ever look at it for time. Cell phones have perfect time, GPS have perfect time. Car has a clock. Radio is announcing time continually.

The watchband pins break on they end up in Davey Jones Locker. What a dumb idea.

Why do you need a wrist watch?
While I have to agree with this (and other's comments along the same lines), there is (for me) something special about wearing a watch. I ALWAYS look at my wrist for the time (or date) regardless of clocks, computers, GPS etc etc that are always around.

I prefer a simple analogue watch without to much fuss. My Omega Seamaster Professional has given good service for the last 15 years although the pins in the band have broken a couple of times; however it is no better than the previous Seiko sports watch at 1/10 the price.

For once emotion over-rules logic.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 08:03   #44

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
As a practicing mechanic for many years I have never been comfortable wearing rings or watches.

We have a $15 Timex analog strapped to the binaccle. Mud Blood and beer, "Takes a licking and keeps on ticking"

IMHO The good fake Rolex's keep better time than the real thing!

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 10:23   #45

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
Timex Ironman. Even go scuba diving with the thing on. After three years, throw it away and buy another. Had a Tag Hauer, but was jumped by 3 Algerians who knocked me out cold (some sort of sap to the head-full concussion) and took it off of my wrist as I lay there unconscious. No more bling for me.