Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-07-2014, 16:23   #121

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: What will Happen to you when GPS goes Down

I'm with 'ya Mark!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
And we haven't even started talking about asteroid impacts! Who has enough hubris to go to sea without first preparing for that contingency?
Yes, I'm kidding....

But, below are some facts that some might find "interesting"....

With significant impact events (possible extinct level events, depending on asteroid content and angle of impact), from asteroids of approx. 5km in size, happening every 10 million years (scientific studies of impact craters by astro-geologists have determined that during the last 600 million years, we've been struck by 60 objects of 5 km in size, or more. The smallest of these asteroids would release the equivalent of ten million Megatons of TNT and leave a crater of about 100km across.)

The Cretaceous–Paleogene extinction event occurred about 65 million years ago, and was an object about 10km across....this is what caused the extinction of the dinosaurs, and allowed human evolution to happen...

Most scientists now accept that these larger so-called extinction-level-events occur at least every 100 million years (60 - 80 million years on average)...with slighter smaller environment-life-changing events (caused by slightly smaller, 5km sized objects), which would cause the "almost extinction" of all life (but mankind may survive in some possible scenarios), occur approx. every 10 million years...

FYI, the last media-noticed event was the Chelyabinsk event, in Feb 2013....and was a very small object of about 15m - 20m in size (1000 times smaller than an extinction-level-event object)....causing an air-burst of only a few hundred kilotons strength....

So, looking at the average / median time between major events, we are over-due!! (or at best, on schedule for it, any day...)
And, we should expect an extinction level event within the next 20 - 30 million years....

Oh, and even if the earth survives another few hundred million years (humans won't, of course), our sun will be expanding so much, in about 750 - 800 million years the surface of the earth will be all molten rock (lava), and in approx. 1 billion years (900 million to 1.2 billion years) the sun will have expanded so far that the earth will be completely vaporized / destroyed!!!

And, while many think Mars might be our savior (assuming we could create both an atmosphere AND a magnetic field, on Mars, to protect us and the atmosphere)....if we move onto Mars completely, within the next 100 million years, Mars could give us an extra couple hundred million years, but that's it...as Mars will suffer a similar fate as Earth....just a little later...
So, we really need to find other planets in the Universe to colonize, in order for human beings / mankind to survive....
(sort of sounds like the theme from sci-fi movies, where "aliens" come to colonize Earth, huh??? well, WE may end being the "aliens" someday!!)

While I make this post with my tongue in cheek....please be aware that what I write here is FACTUAL and astro scientists (such as Neil Degrasse Tyson, etc.) will back me up....(although there are some that will have different times +/- a few million years, the main gist IS factual!!)

Fair winds to all....(we're doomed!

John
s/v Annie Laurie

P.S. With the factual info above, some can argue the fallacy of mankind "saving the planet"....

I know I don't want to live in a cesspool / garbage dump, and I'm a sailor who always leaves a "clean wake"!!
But, how much can we (mankind) actually control the Earth and the Earth's environment / climate, etc.????

Just some food for thought, yes??

Old 28-07-2014, 17:00   #122
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
That's it. I'm dumping all my electronically triggered fire extinguishers and getting longer snorkels.

And more duct tape.
Yabut... The water is going to be boiling. You're gonna need some insulation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
Oh, and even if the earth survives another few hundred million years (humans won't, of course), our sun will be expanding so much, in about 750 - 800 million years the surface of the earth will be all molten rock (lava), and in approx. 1 billion years (900 million to 1.2 billion years) the sun will have expanded so far that the earth will be completely vaporized / destroyed!!!
I'm going back to bed. Work, fixin' boats and mucking around seems so futile with only a few hundred million years left...

Here's a test. Go to a park. Get on a merry-go-round. Put a golf ball out about 50 feet. Put on a blindfold and carry a supply of rocks. Have some one spin you around. Make the merry go round 3d, like tilt-a-whirl.

If you can hit the golf ball in the next hundred million years I will give you my boat...

Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 17:06   #123
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: What will happen to you when gps goes down

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
you could hold up your am radio,and tune into a local radio station,then turn it till you find the "null" point direction then sail down that bearing.

used to work great for finding islands in the pacific and caribbean!

a 3 point fix is not much good if you don't have the chart to plot it on!
Yep, used the transistor radio direction finder in Mexican waters once! it works!
in the mid 80's we dead reckoned to mexico , had a SatNav but only got enough fixes in 1.5 years to count on one hand! DR works!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 17:07   #124
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The only solar flare I worry about is the "final" one that roasts the planet....

Old 28-07-2014, 17:43   #125
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I'm not exactly sure what will happen when GPS goes down but I do suspect that Rocna wielding multi-hulls will take the worst of it because they don't go anywhere without it
Old 28-07-2014, 17:56   #126
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Yabut... The water is going to be boiling. You're gonna need some insulation.
boiling water, you say. Sure glad I got a bridge deck to stand on. Anyone got a good recipe for poached monohullers? Do you just dump the carrots and potatoes down the hatches and seal them up for a few hours? Do you cover them in banana leaves or anything like that first?
Old 28-07-2014, 18:25   #127
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
That's it. I'm dumping all my electronically triggered fire extinguishers and getting longer snorkels.

And more duct tape.
Don't forget the tinfoil!

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 18:31   #128
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
if we move onto Mars
No monohuller will be able to make that trip! Looks like the future of mankind is dependent on foiling catamarans!

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 28-07-2014, 18:33   #129
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I'm not exactly sure what will happen when GPS goes down but I do suspect that Rocna wielding multi-hulls will take the worst of it because they don't go anywhere without it
We will just pull out our Texaco roadmap (held course-up, of course) and look for the nearest martini bar

Mark

Old 28-07-2014, 18:43   #130
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
What happens if the internet goes down, and one can't read CF?
That would be a maritime disaster.
My guess is many would be a lot less confused!

Old 28-07-2014, 18:43   #131
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!

At least the 1200w of solar panels multi-holers all seem to have will get a good work out.

What sort of nuclear shadows do multi-holers cast on their bridge decks anyway?

Gotta go turn my monohole into a faraday cage, excuse me...

PS - I was just wondering - Will my SSB still not work after the flare?
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 18:57   #132
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Will my SSB still not work after the flare?
No and neither will your sat-phone - and you can't sue for this…

Mark

Old 28-07-2014, 19:01   #133

I'm located in southern Queensland, Oz. If the electro-where-am-i goes out, I'll follow the big-hot-sky-fire until I see the brown/green and black don;t-bang-into-it stuff then turn parrallell to it with the circlular-turn-the-boat thingy.Then keep the brown/green and black don;t-bang-into-it stuff on my left or right depending if I'd gone up or down the map on the way out.

I'm not skeered.
Old 28-07-2014, 21:17   #134
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

For me..nothing will happen post GPS except that the oceans will seem a lot bigger and less busy
Old 29-07-2014, 03:50   #135
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'

Hey Dan, thanks for explaining it better than me

Now I had better get to work on the MSK / CW reconvertor - otherwise I will never fid Mark J and his home brew in the post GPS era.

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: