Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2019, 05:13   #16

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)
Re: What reference books do you have on board?

I have quite a few books on board. Among the reference books, I carry World Cruising Routes, a bunch of cruising guides, Two Calder books (his cruising encyclopedia and diesel repair book), Admiralty Sailing Directions (pilot charts), most of the Pardey books, manuals for most of the equipment installed and a few other reference books such as one for the lighthouses of Brazil and others that don't come to mind right now. I also have a collection of sailing or sea related books that I enjoy reading on the boat. Right now I'm reading "Uttermost Part of the Earth: A History of Tierra del Fuego and the Fuegians" - a wonderful account of a family that moves to Tierra del Fuego to homestead in the 19th century. I wish I had room for more books!
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 06:02   #17

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Food & Wine "Cocktails - More Than 150 Drinks + Appetizers and Party Menus" ... oh and Niger's books too
Old 17-02-2019, 06:25   #18

Ashley's Book of Knots, for when I'm bored.
fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 18:43   #19

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

While we do have a good selection of the books aforementioned, I would say that if you do not have a copy of "Get Rid of Boat Odors" by Peggie Hall, your reference collection is incomplete!
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 20:54   #20

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Well, we carry many of the above mentioned books, but also a copy of the Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, something I've had close to hand since about 12 years of age. (I do have a somewhat newer edition, though!)

Oh, a sorta reference book: over thirty years of bound personal log books, covering our journeys and boat projects over the years and miles. About 20 volumes in all!

Jim
Old 19-02-2019, 23:22   #21

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Years ago I had a soul destroying job which fortunately for me was over the road from the State Library. I spent my lunch times going through the "Discard Book" section where they sold books where one or more pages had broken away from the binding. The prices were normally $2 each.

The books covered all subjects but I focused on certain sections and picked up:
  • A Field Guide to Marine Birds of the World. (That is my prized possession)
  • Mammals of the world
  • Whales, dolphins and seals
  • Cooking afloat.
  • Cruising in Comfort
  • Where to Cruise
  • Lonely Planet travel guides for just about any country you can name.
But I also have "Dangerous Marine Animals of the World", "First Aid Afloat", "Heavy Weather Sailing", "Norries Nautical Tables", Hiscock books as well as Lin & Larry Pardey's books.

One book I always cherished was Steve Dashew's book "The Circumnavigators Handbook". I used to borrow it from the library but after about the fourth time I was told I couldn't take it out again as someone else wanted it. That is the last time we saw the book as the borrower went off to sea with it.

But I bought a copy off eBay just last month and was really pleased with the condition of it but I haven't really had time to look at in depth.
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:02   #22

Location: South Africa. currently sailing in the Bahamas and then heading to the Med via Bermuda in May
Boat: Knysna 500SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeys Kitchen View Post
While we do have a good selection of the books aforementioned, I would say that if you do not have a copy of "Get Rid of Boat Odors" by Peggie Hall, your reference collection is incomplete!
A big plus one for this
There is a LOT more to this book than just managing your heads. If you yet dont believe that prevention is better than cure ....... this book will do so.
It is a must read for any boat owner and then becomes a reference book.
Lambretta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books, enc