Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2016, 13:15   #31

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Re: What really means "dangerous rocks?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Surveys are for safe navigation, not for enabling sailing thru reefs, etc. They spent their time getting the bulk of the waters surveyed. Often a cable was towed between 2 boats at a set depth. Many charts contain areas surveyed before GPS. Some before accurate time pieces.
Some chart additions were from ships unsure of their position. Some from ships that didn't know their position was inaccurate. Years ago, I'd been in places where the charts/maps were known to be 3 to 5 miles off.

While the lighthouse aircraft carrier stories are humorous, they have no basis in reality. They do not reflect what happens on a ships bridge nor how communications occur. In modern times, I know of no manned lighthouses.
Good info Lepke!
This is the last staffed lighthouse on Canada's east coast. It may be the only staffed LH in Canada also. Keep those aircraft carriers well clear.The puffins & terns are vicious!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machias_Seal_Island

/ Len
Old 05-05-2016, 14:15   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
In modern times, I know of no manned lighthouses.
Actually most all the lighthouses in chile and Argentina are manned. And you are required to report to them.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 14:25   #33

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

FWIW:

The light on Matsuyker Island, off the SW coast of TAsmania, is manned. Friends of ours did a six month stint as keepers there, and another couple is slated to do so next year. They did not report any marauding battleships or carriers during that time.

Jim
Old 05-05-2016, 14:55   #34

Quote:
In modern times, I know of no manned lighthouses.
Kains Island, Quatsino Sound on the west coast of Vancouver Island is attended (the PC term). I know the lighthouse keeper.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 15:02   #35

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
FWIW:

The light on Matsuyker Island, off the SW coast of TAsmania, is manned. Friends of ours did a six month stint as keepers there, and another couple is slated to do so next year. They did not report any marauding battleships or carriers during that time.

Jim
The island remains 'manned', but it's largely a volunteer role isn't it? And the lighthouse is automated?

Deal island is the other one that is voluntarily manned. I don't think there are any 'manned' lighthouses anywhere in the Southern Hemisphere.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 15:13   #36

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
The island remains 'manned', but it's largely a volunteer role isn't it? And the lighthouse is automated?
I doubt the US has any functioning light houses or ships manned or not. Maybe a Coastie can answer that. The Light House Service got dumped on the CG eons ago.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 16:04   #37

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:

Deal island is the other one that is voluntarily manned. I don't think there are any 'manned' lighthouses anywhere in the Southern Hemisphere.
Yes, the keepers are volunteers, but none the less they are keepers. And no, they don't have to fill the lamps with kero every six hours, and the lamps are likely automated, but the support machinery is not... they have lots of routine duties to tend to.

And upthread is a report that there are many manned lights in south America which resides in the Southern Hemisphere last time I looked!

The actual duties of the lighthouse keeper have doubtless changed over time, but there are still real folks out there in remote and unfriendly locations (well, Deal Island is a pretty posh posting) maintaining the service that some mariners still view as important. It takes a certain kind of person to thrive in such an environment... so bless 'em, and hope that a few still answer the call where they are needed.

Jim
Old 05-05-2016, 16:23   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Yes, the keepers are volunteers, but none the less they are keepers. And no, they don't have to fill the lamps with kero every six hours, and the lamps are likely automated, but the support machinery is not... they have lots of routine duties to tend to.

And upthread is a report that there are many manned lights in south America which resides in the Southern Hemisphere last time I looked! where? I'm not doubting you, I'm just struggling to google any.

The actual duties of the lighthouse keeper have doubtless changed over time, but there are still real folks out there in remote and unfriendly locations (well, Deal Island is a pretty posh posting) maintaining the service that some mariners still view as important. It takes a certain kind of person to thrive in such an environment... so bless 'em, and hope that a few still answer the call where they are needed.

Jim
Absolutely they do a fine job and an important one. But I think what Lepkt was referring to when he said he doubted there were any manned lighthouse keepers left anywhere was to lighthouse keepers who are doing the task of lighout house keeping. That is tending to lights, whether fuel or electric, and doing watchhouse keeping duties such as scanning for ships etc.

I can't seem to find any lighthouses anywhere that are 'manned' in that sense. In the sense that the keeper doesn't have to do anything and the lighhouse still continues to function. It would seem to me that all lighthouses are now automatic. The below link is of someone looking for just that. Without much success it would seem.

How Many Countries in the World Have MANNED Lighthouses? | Lighthouse Memories
Old 05-05-2016, 17:29   #39

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I don't know about Maatsuyker but the light on Deal Island itself was switched off quite a few years ago and replaced by automated lights on NE and SW Islets. The caretakers on Deal are just there to make sure no-one vandalises the museum and historic buildings.

Manned lights in Chile include - Corona, Raper, San Pedro, Fairway, Evangelistas, Felix, Delgado, Diego Rameriz, and Cabo de Hornos... I'm not sure if they are manned further north.
Old 05-05-2016, 18:07   #40

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Give em' a wide berth, Clffyon... As a former commercial fisherman in the PNW, charts from before 1940 were consistently filled with estimated position, depth unconfirmed, foul area and other equally spooky notations. WW II changed that with the need to have better local knowledge of coastal waters. This was true for at least home front vessels... Japanese, not so much. Hence, one ran aground off the west coast of Vancouver Island while shelling a radio station out there somewhere.
I recall hearing some interesting stories from some of the old salts about the wild and wooly west coast from 1900 through 1945. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 18:21   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
The question has been answered well by several. The only ones missed are those cooling to much Scotch at the helm.
Of course it could also refer to dangerous rock music.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 18:49   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

"PNW, charts from before 1940 were consistently filled with estimated position, depth unconfirmed, foul area and other equally spooky notations. WW II changed that with the need to have better local knowledge of coastal waters."
Alaska still has some. Maybe Northern Canada, too.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 20:44   #43

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
I know of no manned lighthouses.

You surprise me Capt. Lepke, because I think you'll find there are still a few manned lighthouses on the BC coast and, as you most probably travel between AK and OR I thought you would surely be aware of that.
I believe when they were changing over to automation, there was such an uproar from the coast communities, (that) they halted the program, leaving some still manned. Possibly Saturna on the west coast of Vancouver Island for one, maybe Race Rocks off the southern tip near Victoria; I'm sure there are others although I have not checked. Maybe those that circumnavigate the Island may have a better knowledge than me.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 21:02   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
You surprise me Capt. Lepke, because I think you'll find there are still a few manned lighthouses on the BC coast and, as you most probably travel between AK and OR I thought you would surely be aware of that.
I believe when they were changing over to automation, there was such an uproar from the coast communities, (that) they halted the program, leaving some still manned. Possibly Saturna on the west coast of Vancouver Island for one, maybe Race Rocks off the southern tip near Victoria; I'm sure there are others although I have not checked. Maybe those that circumnavigate the Island may have a better knowledge than me.
Race Rocks was automated in 1978

Saturna, can't find anything on it.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:20   #45

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Absolutely they do a fine job and an important one. But I think what Lepkt was referring to when he said he doubted there were any manned lighthouse keepers left anywhere was to lighthouse keepers who are doing the task of lighout house keeping. That is tending to lights, whether fuel or electric, and doing watchhouse keeping duties such as scanning for ships etc.

I can't seem to find any lighthouses anywhere that are 'manned' in that sense. In the sense that the keeper doesn't have to do anything and the lighhouse still continues to function. It would seem to me that all lighthouses are now automatic. .......
Most of the Chilean lights I mentioned are 'off the grid' and most of the 'off the grid' ones are good old fashioned 'rotators' - the ones that you can see the loom of the light long before you see the actual light - rather than poncey little 'flashers' so common these days.

While the keepers don't have to trim the wick any more they do keep watches and monitor passing traffic.

So yes they are manned in the traditional manner.

Pic is Punta Delgado ... blue roofed building is the lighthouse keepers' accomodation, radio station, etc etc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0510.JPG.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	123772  

Tags
danger