Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-10-2012, 21:28   #46
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: What months are the best months/weather windows to sail from Hawaii to Philippine

I would think you should make that decision when you find the boat. If it already has a convenience flag registry that you can have seller transfer to you, that might be the easiest. It will all depend on cost.
If you do flag US, choose an obscure home port and sail low key, as flying a US flag in Asia has an added security element that you don’t need.

Old 19-10-2012, 22:20   #47

Boat: Com-pac 25
Re: What months are the best months/weather windows to sail from Hawaii to Philippine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I would think you should make that decision when you find the boat. If it already has a convenience flag registry that you can have seller transfer to you, that might be the easiest. It will all depend on cost.
If you do flag US, choose an obscure home port and sail low key, as flying a US flag in Asia has an added security element that you don’t need.
Agree on cost as a significant factor. If the South China Sea is considered by some to be a potential flash point, then it becomes to me a form of insurance. Not trying to be pessimistic or alarmist, just applying the principles of risk management. If most of the work is going through administrative crap, I'll be retired and I will have time. If I ever get stopped by the Philippine Coast Guard it would be a lot easier to explain why it is a US Registered boat and not Philippine registered.

Old 19-10-2012, 22:40   #48
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Registering in the Philippines is the LAST option you should consider.
Friend of mine decided to do that with a yacht he had built there.
MARNA Department / Manning requirements / Seaman’s licenses all came in to play… all on silly levels where he had to have a qualified engineer because of inboard engine over 50hp.
That could have been because he was a foreigner, but be careful.

Sounds like you have thought this thru, but in 17yrs of cruising Philippines, I have never been stopped by CG.
Reason I suggest staying low key is that US presence in the Philippines is increasing.

There are 2 aircraft carriers here in Subic this weekend along with about 60,000 horny sailors, so “times they are a changing”. Again!

Philippines, US confirm US Navy's return to Subic Bay

By Michael Cohen and James Hardy

10/12/2012

US and Philippine officials have confirmed that Subic Bay, once home to the 7th Fleet and the site of the United States' largest overseas naval base, is to host US personnel on a semi-permanent basis.
The Philippines' Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said that a rotational deployment of US forces had been ongoing since 2011. "President [Benigno] Aquino has authorised this, as have both houses of Congress, and it is a move widely popular with the Philippine people," said DFA Visiting Forces Agreement Director Edilberto Adan, a retired general and former chief of staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP).
"The US will not return to the bases they gave up in 1991, but they will be here regularly and are welcome here," said Adan. He added the resultant increase in joint military exercises would have an effect beyond better interoperability and improvements in AFP doctrine and equipment. "It improves our security and, to be honest, gives people in Southeast Asia peace of mind."
Subic Bay's port facilities were built during the Cold War to handle the anchorage requirements for the US Western Pacific fleet. The US left the naval base in 1992
Old 20-10-2012, 17:00   #49

Boat: Com-pac 25

Staying low key is prudent and will be imposed by a limited budget.

The increased presence of aircraft carriers and submarines visiting Subic can only be interpreted as deliberate and one of many indicators of tensions rising in the Asia Pacific region.

Registering a locally built motorized banka in the Philippines is a nightmarish process even for most Filipinos.

Tags
hawaii, Philippines, sail

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: