Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 16:03   #76
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

Although a bit of a techno-luddite , gotta say that is some cool sh#t .
It will become available this month and I believe it will kill SPOT sales instantly. It uses the same RCC but it's on Iridium so truly worldwide and the full 2-way from one device is exactly what many want. The price is good too as are the plans.

Panbo.com has a preview of it for more info.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 17:11   #77
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: what is the best navigation system to install on a 16ft dinghy?

^^ I will comment that I was given the prior version In-Reach hardware (without the screen) for testing and the message button died after 1 month. I found the batter life shorter than expected (perhaps because I was using it in cold weather). Also the 'expedition plan' which we had seemed a bit expensive, compared to both full iridium-hardware minutes and to SPOT. But the system does do what it claims, and worked nicely when linked blue tooth to an ipad.

I am getting the new model hardware (with the screen) to test in a month or so.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 17:40   #78
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

i have a garmin c300, it has base maps on it.
i use it as a backup for my big garmin when i am in the ocean.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 20:58   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Captain Bligh, of the famed Mutinity on the Bounty, was set adrift from Tahiti in a very tiny and over-loaded sailboat. He made it to the island of, what is known today, "East Timor". He navigated the 3000+ miles trip, using a sextant; indeed, your dream is doable. Good luck! Mauritz
Assuming you were trained by James Cook.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 03:11   #80
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
^^ I will comment that I was given the prior version In-Reach hardware (without the screen) for testing and the message button died after 1 month. I found the batter life shorter than expected (perhaps because I was using it in cold weather). Also the 'expedition plan' which we had seemed a bit expensive, compared to both full iridium-hardware minutes and to SPOT. But the system does do what it claims, and worked nicely when linked blue tooth to an ipad.

I am getting the new model hardware (with the screen) to test in a month or so.
Having had a SPOT die on me, the big advantage to the DeLorme device is that they do NOT allow the user into the device. SPOT owners open the back to access a non-waterproof are to change the batteries. DeLorme's device has permanent batteries that are charged using a USB connection. Assuming the USB is sealed correctly, this should make the device much more durable than a SPOT. I could see the device being recharged off a cheap trickle charger solar panel, on a micro-cruiser for unlimited use.

Curious to hear how it holds up in your next field test. As Jedi said, this product will dominate the mini-communicator/tracker market.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 03:28   #81

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post

Having had a SPOT die on me, the big advantage to the DeLorme device is that they do NOT allow the user into the device. SPOT owners open the back to access a non-waterproof are to change the batteries. DeLorme's device has permanent batteries that are charged using a USB connection. Assuming the USB is sealed correctly, this should make the device much more durable than a SPOT. I could see the device being recharged off a cheap trickle charger solar panel, on a micro-cruiser for unlimited use.

Curious to hear how it holds up in your next field test. As Jedi said, this product will dominate the mini-communicator/tracker market.
The older Inreach without screen has replaceable batteries. This also means it's runtime is dependent on the type of batteries fitted. They state for the new model it's 100-120 hours or so (memory is fading) while using a 10-minute tracking frequency.

Old 13-05-2013, 04:05   #82

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

wow, you need a lot of technocrap to go somewhere in a boat these days...and heres me relying on an old pilot book, some old laminated charts i got with my boat a few years ago, my cockpit compass which seems to have lost all its fluid but still points somewhere near northish,and a $110 garmin etrex, for which i keep a multipack of aa batts...somewhere. I do have a sextant on board but...i think the almanacs a bit out of date now. If you learn how to navigate relying on electronic crap that might be the only way you ever know how to navigate. And relying on electronic crap in an open boat - good luck on that one.
For what its worth;
plan where you're going; find a good pilot book and photocopy the relevant maps and directions for harbours etc. and laminate them; get the maritime charts for the areas you will be sailing offshore and laminate them; get a compass; If you're going offshore to any significant distance get a handheld gps and enough batteries for your journey between shops. Thats about all you need to navigate pretty much anywhere. I'll concede that a bottomline gps capable of giving a lat/long. position is a piece of technocrap that is necessary - because it replaces a collection of objects (sextant,almanac, timepiece, calculating gear)that are more expensive, more vulnerable to water damage and much less accurate or convenient.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 04:25   #83
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: what is the best navigation system to install on a 16ft dinghy?

Wot ^He^ Sed...
If you want to try and save money contact the manufacturers of the gadgets you 'feel you need' and put your plan to them and ask if they need any stuff testing in 'real life' conditions...
They may just have a laugh...
but..... you never know...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 04:36   #84

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
wow, you need a lot of technocrap to go somewhere in a boat these days...and heres me relying on an old pilot book, some old laminated charts i got with my boat a few years ago, my cockpit compass which seems to have lost all its fluid but still points somewhere near northish,and a $110 garmin etrex, for which i keep a multipack of aa batts...somewhere. I do have a sextant on board but...i think the almanacs a bit out of date now. If you learn how to navigate relying on electronic crap that might be the only way you ever know how to navigate. And relying on electronic crap in an open boat - good luck on that one.
For what its worth;
plan where you're going; find a good pilot book and photocopy the relevant maps and directions for harbours etc. and laminate them; get the maritime charts for the areas you will be sailing offshore and laminate them; get a compass; If you're going offshore to any significant distance get a handheld gps and enough batteries for your journey between shops. Thats about all you need to navigate pretty much anywhere. I'll concede that a bottomline gps capable of giving a lat/long. position is a piece of technocrap that is necessary - because it replaces a collection of objects (sextant,almanac, timepiece, calculating gear)that are more expensive, more vulnerable to water damage and much less accurate or convenient.
So, no VHF for you? That puts you in an old minority, even on CF. For the rest it doesn't matter much what brand of GPS one has, you have it too and that is just as much technocrap as the next GPS.

Don't come with this silly no-tech crap to me, I was navigating crossings far beyond land with paper charts, clock and compass alone when y'all were still crying in mommies lap

Old 13-05-2013, 04:38   #85
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
DeLorme's device has permanent batteries that are charged using a USB connection.
Not the 'old unit'. It had replaceable AA batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
They state for the new model it's 100-120 hours or so (memory is fading) while using a 10-minute tracking frequency.
That's also what they stated for the 'old unit', with lithium batteries (85 hrs with alkaline Batteries). However I got about 25 hrs with new Duracell Alkaline batteries. I am operating it in somewhat colder weather than the spec and that does (apparently) drive battery life down. But the gap between spec and actual was rather greater than I expected.

Related to this thread . . . . if I was taking a dinghy to Iceland I would want gear that was totally proven to work perfectly (in cold/wet weather) and not a brand new just released product. The human edge folks I gave a link to above are THE Experts at what really works in this field.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 05:20   #86

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I suspect the reason for the Wayfarer is the budget is limited, therefore recommending carrying 3 or 4 of the latest GPS hand held chart plotters isn't going to happen.

To answer the question about Lowrance GPS sets, the fixed mounted ones from 1992 when they first appeared in the UK (I had the fourth one to be imported) were brilliant and completely waterproof, dry nitrogen filled and sealed with o rings. I used them on a number of dive boat ribs (17 -22 feet) out in all weathers and included around Scotland, X channel and trips to the IOM for fish and chips. Never had a problem with Lowrance. They continued throughout the 1990s until Lowrance and the other manufacturers started coming out with GPS chart plotters which required a slot either for the card or to be able to update them. I think this is the weak link for a small open boat even if the card slot is behind a little door like our current Garmin.

The good news is if you can find one of these early Lowrance GPS sets is they are likely to be cheap and sealed. You don't need the chart plotter facility just a plain GPS will do quite happily.

If the transom of your Wayfarer is clear there is nothing stopping you fitting a 40w solar panel on a simply painted steel frame. That should give you 3 AH per hour during peak times to charge a small sealed car battery in a water proof box. This could also run your VHF and single mast head light.

If your heading norf don't forget that whilst it goes dark in the Carib at tea time each day, North of Scotland (60.N) has only twilight, it doesn't go dark at night during the summer which helps with navigating.

Sort out a good VHF antenna on a pole/broomstick, we used to pick up Liverpool Coastguard off the North Antrim Coast quite easily because they have a transmitter on top of a mountain on the IOM Northern Scotland will be similar so make use of their 6 hourly weather forecasts.

Emergency hot can food meals will cut the need for cooking when its too choppy and a spray hood essential to keep the wind and spray off you. Do not under estimate this last point and the value in comfort they will add to a small boat. Make one from a small tent if necessary. Our round Scotland rib had one made from a windsurfer boom and an old lorry side curtain, fixed with wide velcro, it was much appreciated during our voyages.

If you are young enough, just go for it and good luck . We will want a virtual postcard from Iceland though

Link to an adventure in a previous life:

Remembering rib racing - the early years - RIBnet Forums

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 05:28   #87

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Enda O'Coineen crossed the Atlantic in a 17ft open rib in 1985. Worth doing a Google search for him, no GPS or Decca back then.

Met him about 10 years ago and he told us the saga. He wore a wetsuit for the trip which rubbed him very badly after a couple of days.

Pete
Old 13-05-2013, 06:21   #88

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Navigation for crossing oceans is over rated. Just follow the Sun or the Moon or Venus and you'll get to the New World allright. It's coastal navigation that is hard, but the ignorant masses just assume that long passages means more difficult.

Old 13-05-2013, 06:28   #89

Boat: Beneteau First 33.7

Get a bigger Dinghy
sailorsaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 07:07   #90

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorsaki View Post
Get a bigger Dinghy
Good idea, in the UK a Corribee 21 or Hurley 22 would offer so much more space and comfort, and a loo for not much extra cash.

Pete

Tags
dinghy, navigation