Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 07:55   #46
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
Re: what is the best navigation system to install on a 16ft dinghy?

Just kicking out an idea - you will probably be "blessed" by sufficient wind, but nonetheless what about adding a sweep / scull as an alternative means of propulsion? (when wind shadowed by cliffs - or a freighter?!) and as part of a jury rig if things go badly.........although on which note, maybe having a kite onboard for that - kites for boats have come on a long way since Frank's day!
__________________

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:57   #47
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 19
Images: 2
Re: what is the best navigation system to install on a 16ft dinghy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic sea dog View Post
Currently doing my yachtmaster scheme up at Anglesey, Wales UK.
Anglesey Sailing School?
__________________

__________________
55north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:41   #48
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,471
Re: what is the best navigation system to install on a 16ft dinghy?

You know, despite my appreciation for celestial nav, I wonder if carrying all the gear for practicing the art is a good use of space and money in this case? My years of doing celestial were mostly on a 30 foot yacht and that small platform made accurate observations difficult. Trying to do it from a dinghy at sea in anything but a flat calm seems pretty iffy to me -- lots of motion and a very very low height of eye. Then, doing the plotting... no chart table, hard to keep plotting sheets dry... I wouldn't like to rely upon that myself. And finally, keeping the sextant dry and safe from harm -- again, hard to do in a dinghy.

You can buy a bunch of hand held GPS units, store them separately and in secure spots, and have a more reliable means of determining your position and not spend any more than equipping for celestial in this situation, IMO. Pre-loading pertinent waypoints in all of them reduces the need for charts (should they be lost) for the passages. There is certainly no need for a chart plotter.

Cheers,

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:32   #49
Registered User
 
Snore's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: www.USCGMaster.com
Boat: Tartan 33
Posts: 1,882
Many of the ideas being into this conversation are great if the boat was dry. A 16 foot boat that only has an open cuddy and no bulkheads, will have no dry spots after a week or so. All the electronics that require plugs will probably be toast. Changing batteries will be a challenge as his hands and skin will be so saturated, he will have a hard time not dripping into the battery compartment.

Given the probability that everything will have so,e water on it. The safest form of navigation would be a variation of old school nav. Instead of trying to get a sunrise, noon evening fix with a sextant, fire up the GPS three times a day. That will make your batteries last much longer and avoid the inherent error in shooting celestial bodies from a small craft and trying to figure out where you are.

Whatever the OP decides, I would heartily recommend that the OP sea trial whatever set-up he decides up with a 2-week gaunt across the channel and either north or south. Perhaps circumnavigate the British Isles? If it all goes pear shaped, it is easier to turn to land during a simple sea trial than Transatlantic.

Such a shakedown cruise will provide great experience for the electronics, rig and skipper.
__________________
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ismael ---- NEW website! www.USCGMaster.com
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:08   #50
Registered User
 
celtic sea dog's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55north View Post

Anglesey Sailing School?
Yeah The legend that is David. I am very lucky to be able to be taught by him. He has high standards and I respect him greatly. I have a way to go yet before I am ready to cast off across an ocean, but at his school, it is always challenging and his knowledge will only be of benefit to me and give me the preparation I need to put my own plans into practice. He has a keen eye for small details and rarely misses a beat. I enjoy sailing with him very much!
__________________
celtic sea dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:14   #51
Do or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,198
Re: what is the best navigation system to install on a 16ft dinghy?

Would it be okay if a shore-based team does the navigating? In that case you could do with some essentials like compass and then the Inreach SE that shows your position and track to the shore based team, who can then send you messages about which course, how far etc.

For compass, the Plastimo Iris would be my choice:
__________________
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:14   #52
Registered User
 
celtic sea dog's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Many of the ideas being into this conversation are great if the boat was dry. A 16 foot boat that only has an open cuddy and no bulkheads, will have no dry spots after a week or so. All the electronics that require plugs will probably be toast. Changing batteries will be a challenge as his hands and skin will be so saturated, he will have a hard time not dripping into the battery compartment.

Given the probability that everything will have so,e water on it. The safest form of navigation would be a variation of old school nav. Instead of trying to get a sunrise, noon evening fix with a sextant, fire up the GPS three times a day. That will make your batteries last much longer and avoid the inherent error in shooting celestial bodies from a small craft and trying to figure out where you are.

Whatever the OP decides, I would heartily recommend that the OP sea trial whatever set-up he decides up with a 2-week gaunt across the channel and either north or south. Perhaps circumnavigate the British Isles? If it all goes pear shaped, it is easier to turn to land during a simple sea trial than Transatlantic.

Such a shakedown cruise will provide great experience for the electronics, rig and skipper.
Of course, a pre amble like that would be obligotory. Just like test flying a jet or an operating sequence. Preparation is key! I have time. I am in no immediate rush. Whenever I am ready I will do it. In the meantime I am researching, training, planning, reading, picking peoples brains in between as many courses and experience as I can pack in!
__________________
celtic sea dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:18   #53
Do or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,198
Re: what is the best navigation system to install on a 16ft dinghy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic sea dog View Post
Of course, a pre amble like that would be obligotory. Just like test flying a jet or an operating sequence. Preparation is key! I have time. I am in no immediate rush. Whenever I am ready I will do it. In the meantime I am researching, training, planning, reading, picking peoples brains in between as many courses and experience as I can pack in!
Oh I forgot to mention to indeed not let the naysayers influence you in any way. I have sailed my Laser on longer passages than some of those ever sailed in their lives... if they have a boat at all
This is CF: each and every post gets ridiculed.
__________________
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:20   #54
Registered User
 
celtic sea dog's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 28
Re: what is the best navigation system to install on a 16ft dinghy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Would it be okay if a shore-based team does the navigating? In that case you could do with some essentials like compass and then the Inreach SE that shows your position and track to the shore based team, who can then send you messages about which course, how far etc.

For compass, the Plastimo Iris would be my choice:
That would be like having ground control a5 kennedy! Its kind of cool, but there still has to be a plan B should comms fail.
__________________
celtic sea dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:29   #55
Registered User
 
celtic sea dog's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 28
Re: what is the best navigation system to install on a 16ft dinghy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Oh I forgot to mention to indeed not let the naysayers influence you in any way. I have sailed my Laser on longer passages than some of those ever sailed in their lives... if they have a boat at all
This is CF: each and every post gets ridiculed.
Ive got a thick skin, broad shoulders and an unwavering determination to succeed. Folks can say what they like as it doesnt dissuade me in my pursuit of the ultimate adventure. I am well suited to something like this for I know hardship, desperation, having to keep going when all you want to do is give up.
By the way. It wasnt you on youtube sailng the laser across from Ireland?
__________________
celtic sea dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:32   #56
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 19
Images: 2
Re: what is the best navigation system to install on a 16ft dinghy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic sea dog View Post
Yeah The legend that is David. I am very lucky to be able to be taught by him. He has high standards and I respect him greatly. I have a way to go yet before I am ready to cast off across an ocean, but at his school, it is always challenging and his knowledge will only be of benefit to me and give me the preparation I need to put my own plans into practice. He has a keen eye for small details and rarely misses a beat. I enjoy sailing with him very much!
Couldn't agree with the above more! What I really liked is that most of the time he lets you work things out for yourself, but if you keep making the same mistake you get a few brief, highly perceptive pointers. Very good for building confidence. I should add that his ability to remain deadpan in stressful situations is unmatched... "Preparation, preparation and preparation, the three most important things in sailing..."
__________________
55north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:38   #57
Do or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,198
Re: what is the best navigation system to install on a 16ft dinghy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic sea dog View Post
That would be like having ground control a5 kennedy! Its kind of cool, but there still has to be a plan B should comms fail.
Indeed. For that, the new Simrad HH33 VHF+GPS+DSC would be to complete it all; You program that with all possible waypoints for destination and diversion places before leaving. It also is a floating VHF and when you buy the US/Aussie version it has the DSC distress call too.

__________________
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:50   #58
Registered User
 
celtic sea dog's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 28
Re: what is the best navigation system to install on a 16ft dinghy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55north View Post
Couldn't agree with the above more! What I really liked is that most of the time he lets you work things out for yourself, but if you keep making the same mistake you get a few brief, highly perceptive pointers. Very good for building confidence. I should add that his ability to remain deadpan in stressful situations is unmatched... "Preparation, preparation and preparation, the three most important things in sailing..."
Yes he is unflappable.only a week or so ago we headed off to the skerries after being mis informed that a mooring bouy had been re deployed in the skerries inlet, below the lighthouse.
We set out from Holyhead with wind against tide making things a little choppy until reaching the skerries from the south west, brought the shantih up on the wind and dropped the sails. In the swell of the approach I almost tore off my thumb nail, losing my balance and falling in to the cockpit table. I wasnt thinking straight when we dropped the main and I for some bizarre reason, thought it best to unshackle the main halyard, instead of just jamming the slack around the mast cleat. Felt a proper dickhead, but learnt from it!
Anyways after transiting the narrow channel below the lighthouse, we realised there was no mooring bouy and no way near enough room to drop anchor. No cup of tea. David didnt lose it or panic, we just turned around ,transited back out the way we had come and sailed back to holyhead close hauled in force 6 to 7. By the time we reached the breakwater things were getting a bit lairy, but that sailing master that is David just stood there cool as a cucumber. I was impressed but exhausted from an intense week onboard. Learnt loads though. Good times!
__________________
celtic sea dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:01   #59
Registered User
 
celtic sea dog's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 28
Re: what is the best navigation system to install on a 16ft dinghy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Indeed. For that, the new Simrad HH33 VHF+GPS+DSC would be to complete it all; You program that with all possible waypoints for destination and diversion places before leaving. It also is a floating VHF and when you buy the US/Aussie version it has the DSC distress call too.

Yes but I thought a handheld vhf only had about 8miles range on hf and about 3miles on low?
Like the programmable waypoints though . That sounds cool!
__________________
celtic sea dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:45   #60
Do or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,198
Re: what is the best navigation system to install on a 16ft dinghy?

So, what I would take:

1. $300 Inreach SE tracker and satellite communicator

People can see your position and track, plus communicate with you in 2-way text message conversation. Lithium powered and uses Iridium satellites for worldwide coverage.

2. $250 Simrad HH36 VHF+DSC+GPS

Waterproof, floating, lithium powered VHF with DSC and GPS for short range communication plus navigation.

3. $250 McMurdo FastFind 220 GPS PLB

Distress beacon that works anywhere (except north/south poles) and is the smallest and lightest. Lithium battery operates for 24 hours as 406MHz Cospas Sarsat beacon + 121.5MHz homing beacon.

4. $200 Plastimo Iris 100 compass

This is both a hand bearing and a mounted steering compass.

5. $320 Lithium battery pack
Like this 120W one from Goal Zero:


6. $230 Solar panel for charging the Lithium pack
Like this 30W briefcase model from Goal Zero:


This puts the total investment on $1,550.- The Delorme SE requires a service plan which would be $25 a month for the kind of usage expected (distress function, unlimited tracking, 40 msgs per month plus $0.50 per extra message)
(I would use the $10/month safety plan because I don't message much).
__________________

__________________
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dinghy, navigation

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 00:09.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.