Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2013, 19:10   #31

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel
Re: what is the best navigation system to install on a 16ft dinghy?

I would consider a Cape Cod Bullseye or Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender, as an alternative to an open dinghy. At least they would give you a little sense of shelter while still in the same size class. And both quite capable of such journey. I also agree an immersion suit or dry suit is mandatory in such waters to stave off hypothermia from wind swept water, let alone capsize.
We have heard about desire for electronic nav aides, but what other inventory do you plan on carrying for this journey?
Old 11-05-2013, 19:19   #32
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
To deal with communications:

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:28   #33
Armchair Bucketeer

Could do worse than join the Dinghy Cruising Association, or one of the affiliated clubs - likely a lot more hands on knowledge than available here!

Dinghy Cruising Association : GroupSpaces

But on the navigation gizmo angle, whilst plenty of Marine chartplotters / GPS built to withstand being in the open I doubt any are actually built to deal with complete immersion! I would certainly be looking for some sort of electronics onboard, simply to make life easier. My initial thought is 2 or 3 of them!, maybe something on a watch, a handheld sealed in a waterproof case as a spare and a handheld in a plastic case (on a lanyard!). For power I think lots of batteries!, but I think a decent chance that a small solar panel would provide some oomph to recharge them, at least over time. I doubt if any great need to have a GPS switched on 24/7, just for position fixes which would cut down on power consumption. For the navigation I think laminated charts would be no bad thing, and possibly a large scale version screwed firmly onto the boat!

During my previous googles I found this VHF / GPS. Won't be a magic coverall though - I think the expectation would be if things go badly wrong that very likely would go glug!

Would be of interest to hear of OP's Plans (and boat!) and background / past adventures.........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:55   #34

Boat: Finnsailer 38

On the electronics angle I was thinking an iPad with charting and GPS, another separate handheld marine GPS, both stored in waterproof cases that let you use them, and then further encased in a Pelican case or other waterproof container when not in use. Plus, I would carry a few select paper or waterproof printed charts too. Also, a handheld waterproof VHF radio or two. Not sure what the text forecasts are for those waters, but you can download them pretty quickly and easily via sat phone, which is also useful for calling for help. Pretty sure there is a way to interface with an iPad too. And, no, you won't be able to use these things some days, because it will be too rough. Also, of course, you want an Epirb in case all else fails.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:02   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
On the electronics angle I was thinking an iPad with charting and GPS, another separate handheld marine GPS, both stored in waterproof cases that let you use them, and then further encased in a Pelican case or other waterproof container when not in use. Plus, I would carry a few select paper or waterproof printed charts too. Also, a handheld waterproof VHF radio or two. Not sure what the text forecasts are for those waters, but you can download them pretty quickly and easily via sat phone, which is also useful for calling for help. Pretty sure there is a way to interface with an iPad too. And, no, you won't be able to use these things some days, because it will be too rough. Also, of course, you want an Epirb in case all else fails.
Yes, yes and yes. Like David said , as many back ups as possible would be good. Drybags and plastic protection wherever possible. Solar might not be as effective, but a towable spinning generator is possible and not long on the market
celtic sea dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:42   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic sea dog View Post
...but a towable spinning generator is possible and not long on the market
You won't be going fast enough for it to be of any use.
Efraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:50   #37

Dohhh!
It will have to be a thermal neuclear powercell then! Lol
Seriously though, havent dismissed the idea of a wind turbine mounted somehow, but will more than likely plump for an extensive range of handheld devices and be extremely frugal, using them only when neccessary.!
Good chartwork, dead reckoning, use of compass and sextant will suffice when possible.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:10   #38

Boat: Finnsailer 38

A 16-foot Wayfarer can scoot under the right conditions, but I think the way to go is small rechargeable devices and the solar charger for when things are calm or you are ashore. I have used a handheld GPS for months powered by a couple of AA batteries, but turning it off and on, and not running continuously. Crossing an ocean you really only need a fix once a day, if that often.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:10   #39

Delorme inreach:

This is an awesome piece of kit. Definately a 3 tits moment! Instead of or as well as a sat phone.
Smartphone with multiple charged batteries. Changing over could be tricky sometimes though, so choosing the right opportunity would be vital.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:19   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
A 16-foot Wayfarer can scoot under the right conditions, but I think the way to go is small rechargeable devices and the solar charger for when things are calm or you are ashore. I have used a handheld GPS for months powered by a couple of AA batteries, but turning it off and on, and not running continuously. Crossing an ocean you really only need a fix once a day, if that often.
Yes, I think this will be the way to go. A smartphone will be easier to use as you can buy a myriad batteries and charge them all in advance maybe. A tablet has an internal battery and would as you say, require a shorebased charge or connect to a charger on board somehow. If they can put a man on the moon, a simple problem of generating power in a marine enviroment must be possible surely? A smallmwind turhine and hermetically sealed battery compartment must be possible!
Old 12-05-2013, 06:27   #41

Depending on the size of your devices, you may find this helpful as well.

http://www.goalzero.com/shop/p/79/Gu...nture-Kit/1:1/

We have used ours all over the place and swear by it. It gets really good charge power for the size. We've been able to charge iPhone size devices and 4 AA batteries in a few hours.
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:27   #42

Fist a sextant and the tables, handheld calculator to use it. Then hand held GPS or two and waterproof paper charts. I strongly recommend a radar reflector, laser flare, epirb, etc. You don't need to keep the GPS on all the time so battery usage should not be that big a deal. Think LED for lighting and dive lights for flashlights. Good canvas and positive flotation are a must. Also a water tight bags with quick drying sleeping bags (need two, 1 will be wet most of the time). Don't forget a light weight boom tarp. This sounds fun, but to me hugging the coast more sounds Moore fun.
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:29   #43

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

I would say enough closed cell foam in the boat so it cant sink,handheld GPS and handheld VHF and go for it !!! Good luck,a few risks make the achievement way more satisfying !! Bruce, PS lots of batteries.
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:38   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggegner View Post
Fist a sextant and the tables, handheld calculator to use it. Then hand held GPS or two and waterproof paper charts. I strongly recommend a radar reflector, laser flare, epirb, etc. You don't need to keep the GPS on all the time so battery usage should not be that big a deal. Think LED for lighting and dive lights for flashlights. Good canvas and positive flotation are a must. Also a water tight bags with quick drying sleeping bags (need two, 1 will be wet most of the time). Don't forget a light weight boom tarp. This sounds fun, but to me hugging the coast more sounds Moore fun.
Yes agree to all and have thought of most. A radar reflector is a great idea, considering the size of the craft as well as not being able to have proper nav lights. LED lights will be better than nothing though, an epirb of course as well as a canister full of various orange, red and white flares. A white flare to warn an oncoming ship will be no bad thing.
I can see the point also regarding hugging coast. Extended passages are just a long slog (but neccessary) but things get interesting as one explores the coast.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:47   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamgoat View Post
I would say enough closed cell foam in the boat so it cant sink,handheld GPS and handheld VHF and go for it !!! Good luck,a few risks make the achievement way more satisfying !! Bruce, PS lots of batteries.
I havent seen the mk4 Wayfarer upclose yet, but foam bouyancy is a good plan. I have seen many transomless boats designed like this. A mast floatation aid will also help! I also think that a seago 4 man liferaft will fit if needed. There is a possibility of doing away completely with a stove and fuel and relying on heat in the bag/heat in the can rations freeing up more valuable space for a liferaft if possible. It would most likely be in a valaise, not in GRP cannister though, stored somewhere astern or in the bows.

Tags
dinghy, navigation