Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2013, 09:54   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour E 43
Send a message via Skype™ to WolfgangSeaLife
What Chart and Nav System ?

My Off Shore Navigator software and all my charts from Maptec and C-Map don't work anymore on Windows 7 and 8.
I used my lab top also with USB cable to RayMarine E 120 GPS.

Before I buy new charts and nav software to work with RayMarine and Windows 7, what is the best cost and system?
Presently I am sailing in the Eastern Caribbean, but I like to be equipped for the whole Caribbean, Bahamas, and Florida.

I have all the old charts from 1997 and some later on CD's including ICW and East Coast USA.

Thanks for sharing your advice
Wolfgang
WolfgangSeaLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 10:03   #2
Eternal Member

Re: What chart and nav system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfgangSeaLife View Post
My Off Shore Navigator software and all my charts from Maptec and C-Map don't work anymore on Windows 7 and 8.
I used my lab top also with USB cable to RayMarine E 120 GPS.

Before I buy new charts and nav software to work with RayMarine and Windows 7, what is the best cost and system?
Presently I am sailing in the Eastern Caribbean, but I like to be equipped for the whole Caribbean, Bahamas, and Florida.

I have all the old charts from 1997 and some later on CD's including ICW and East Coast USA.

Thanks for sharing your advice
Wolfgang
Wolfgang,

I've used Offshore Navigator and raster charts with my Furuno GP-31 GPS for many years.

Recently I acquired a Windows 7 laptop and had the same problem as you. But, it's easy to solve:

1. Maptech will sell you a newer version of Offshore Navigator for about $75, including 2014 Tides and Currents and shipping. Call them.

2. My new laptop doesn't have a serial port. A good USB to serial connector can be bought for about $25. Best one I've found is the Keyspan/Triplite HS-10 for @ $24.99 including shipping.

So, for under $100 you're back in business.

My software and GPS work fine with the new Win7 laptop.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 10:16   #3

I agree with Bill. Don't give it up.

New laptop, old software
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 11:08   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour E 43
Send a message via Skype™ to WolfgangSeaLife

Thank you both. This Forum is great, saved me lots of trouble and money
WolfgangSeaLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 11:12   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Wolfgang, you can easily use Offshore Navigator on the new versions of Windows. The trick is to install the Microsoft XP Virtual Machine, which is an option on the new versions of Windows. This emulates Windows XP and then all you have to do is install ON in the virtual machine.

This is the same workaround that is used to install A LOT of older software on the new versions of Windows, so it pays to set it up. The hardest part of the setup is once you have the virtual machine installed, it will ask you to download updates. And that can mean 150 updates to XP and the security software, so you may need to sit back, wait overnight, or find a good book for that first monster update session.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 11:24   #6
Eternal Member

I looked into the Virtual Machine and XP on Windows 7. Tried to download them several times on a fast connection. Never got thru the long download, and the more I read about it I decided I don't want it on my machine.

Moreover, it's absolutely HUGE and is a HUGE pain-in-the butt. I think Microsoft assumes that everyone is on a power machine with 16gb RAM and a direct fiber-optic connection to the Internet :-)

I've found that most 32-bit stuff I have runs fine on Windows 7 64-bit. Only stuff I have which wouldn't is old DOS programs. But, I installed DOSBOX (free) and those old BASIC and other DOS programs run just fine.

So, my advice would be to buy the updated version of Offshore Navigator and not bother with VM/XP for Windows 7 unless you really need it.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote