Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2014, 06:52   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Weather Routing LIS to Cape May

Looking for a little outside advise/plan checking. We are currently in Milford CT getting ready to make a bid for the East River and on to Cape May. The tide off of Milford will be favorable starting at 3am. and the East river at 7:30 am. The weather looks ok for motoring down the Jersey shore with a possible bailout in Atlantic City although there is the potential for some strong southerly's tomorrow. Later in the week (Wed through Friday) We have very strong Northwesterly system and 4 to 7 foot seas which, although might be considered good sailing to some, I'm afraid would freak out the Mrs. and put the boat to the test.

My question is this. Do I leave at 3am and try motoring against potential Southerlies along the Jersey Shore on Tues and try to make Cape Henlopen or Atlantic City to wit out the strong NWesterlies?

Do I wait and catch the strong NWesterlies and suck it up on Wednesday?

Or do we camp out in Port Washington until the Weekend visiting friends in NY and hope for a better 5 day as the week advances?

My wife just came up with a 4th option. Head to Pt Washington and hang till Thurs/Friday and sail on the tail end of the system for Henlopen and as the system passes catch the clocking winds up the Delaware on Saturday.
Old 20-10-2014, 07:30   #2

Boat: Tartan 40
Re: Weather Routing LIS to Cape May

We're also watching this weather window, planning to leave from Liberty Landing or Sandy Hook. First time going down this coastline, and looking for experienced input.
Old 20-10-2014, 07:33   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by markperil View Post
We're also watching this weather window, planning to leave from Liberty Landing or Sandy Hook. First time going down this coastline, and looking for experienced input.
Where are you now Mark?
Old 20-10-2014, 07:51   #4

Boat: Her Shine Newburyport 37'

My Trawler is sitting in Atlantic City and I am wondering when do I head south. Do I Wait for weather or Bridges as my honey do list grows everyday at home.
Capecoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 08:08   #5

Stage yourself in the Atlantic Highlands (Sandy Hook). Atlantic City is a good inlet to stop in on the way down. Remember you are getting the predicted average wind for the day, sometime you can have favorable periods in the day, so taking smaller pieces is workable.
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 08:50   #6

Correct me if I am wrong Sandy Hook looks like a pretty bad place to wait out nwesterly.

And isn't that the problem with the mj coast. Hard to break up into smaller bits because there aren't a lot of good places to duck into.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 20-10-2014, 09:11   #7

Re-read my post, I said Atlantic Highlands (they have moorings) which is within the Sandy Hook area behind a breakwater.
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 09:22   #8

Ahhh cheers

Old 20-10-2014, 18:57   #9

Boat: Cape Dory 300 MS 30'

I like your wife's idea. Have a leisurely daytime run down to Port Washington, hang out with your friends until the tide turns fair through the East River, then go over to Atlantic Highlands until the southerlies are long gone and the first day of the Northwesterly (usually the most blustery) has gone by. The 2nd and 3rd days after the front goes by are apt to be nice with diminishing winds, and I would advise trying to make Cape May in one hop. It will be a long day and part of a night, but once inside the jetties you can anchor just NE of the Coast Guard station and catch up on your ZZZs. If the 55' bridge is OK with you, you should go thru the Cape May Canal and try to catch the flood tide up Delaware Bay so that you can be at the entrance of the C&D canal at slack high water (assuming you are going to the Chesapeake). You'll then have a fair current going through and perhaps tuck in for the night at the Sassafras River. Georgetown has anchorage areas and marinas and the Granary Restaurant is a nice way to start your Chesapeake cruise.
Captain Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 19:05   #10

Boat: Manta 42

You don't have to wait in port washington, you can still make progress south. You can make liberty landing, no shore side amenities, then look at great kills, good protection from all directions. Next would be barnegat inlet, from barnegat I would wait for weather and then jump to either Atlantic city or all the way to cape may.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
kellymj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 19:11   #11

Boat: Cape Dory 300 MS 30'

I like your wife's idea. Have a leisurely trip down to Port Washington, visit your friends and wait for a fair current through the East River. Anchor or pick up a mooring at Atlantic Highlands while the cold front blows through. The 2nd and 3rd days after frontal passage are apt to be pleasant with diminishing winds. I would advise trying to make it to Cape May in one hop. It will be a long day and part of a night but once you are inside the jetties, you can anchor just before you reach the USCG piers and catch up on your ZZZs. If you are OK with a 55' bridge clearance, go through the Cape May canal and catch a flood tide up Delaware Bay. The neatest trick, assuming you will be going over to the Chesapeake, is to arrive at the C&D canal entrance at slack high water. You'll then ride the ebb through the canal and perhaps decide to tuck in for the night on the Sassafras River. Lots of sheltered anchorages there and if you go up to Georgetown, there are marinas and a good restaurant called The Granary.
Captain Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 02:06   #12

Thanks Fred! I like it.

Old 22-10-2014, 19:48   #13

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

Sandy hook is a great staging spot. there is adequate room to anchor in the shelter of the highlands marina breakwater if you don't like horseshoe cove. Atlantic Highlands Marina has a decent bar and restaurant.

I didn't think the weather looked very good for the trip down the Jersey coast for the next five days. Light winds out of the north will make for a pleasant trip.

Keep in mind that all of the inlets on the Jersey coast will be downright dangerous if there is a surf. From my personal experience Barnegat , Atlantic City, and Cape May are the best inlets. Plan to arrive in good light, not darkness.

Good Sailing
pesarsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2014, 21:28   #14

Yeah I'm starting to bum out about the forecast. It looks positively blustery over the next five days and then it switches to sw on Monday. Doh!

Old 24-10-2014, 16:18   #15

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

I just came back from a run along the Delaware Bay, by the Cape May Canal. The Bay is not bad, maybe 2', winds about 10 from the west. All better than predicted. It was wild yesterday. Haven't been by the ocean today, last evening sound wise, it was roaring.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weather