Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2017, 22:57   #16

Boat: Colegate 26
Re: Video lookout

So I emailed ReoLink asking about the marine readiness of their PTZ camera and this was the reply ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReoLink
Thanks very much for your email requesting information about our products.
RLC-423 is a camera that can handle outdoor use under most of the circumstances.
While in ports, harbour, etc. the working environments get much harsher. So it may not last that long for life. Hope you can kindly understand that.
​​
If you need further assistance or have any questions, please feel free to reach us.
Thank you for your kind understanding and great patience.
Have a nice day.
Best Regards
Reolink Support Team

What does that even mean!? I think they are not willing to comment on the seaworthiness of their product
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 05:23   #17

Boat: CT-47

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
So I emailed ReoLink asking about the marine readiness of their PTZ camera and this was the reply ...

What does that even mean!? I think they are not willing to comment on the seaworthiness of their product

They clearly stated that the product will not last long in a marine environment...

Maybe next time you place an enquiry to a Chinese supplier you better use the definition IP68 instead of "seaworthiness" as the average office staff in an electronics factory has no clue what you mean by this...in my opinion the person replying did remarkably well.
gabilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 07:06   #18

Boat: Chrysler 26, swing keel

Other Options:

I've thought some more about this (I've been a professional prototype developer/problem solver for over 25 years: - Jarel Design -)

Encapsulate the unit using a plastic optical quality dome (Upside-down with a flat top). Reality is, no matter what you use, there will be times you're going to want to wipe off the lens.

The more I think about this, I see having a unit that can be hoisted up and lowered (unless you can think of why you'd want this up all the time?)

Using a spare (spinnaker?) halyard should be available? The "trick" is to design some sort of "saddle" that straddles your fore-stay, or hoist it straight up so that you're hoisting a pole that extends beyond your masthead and is held still from turning side to side by having the base of the pole have a flat/concave surface that is held tight against the mast. (You can hoist it from forward of your spreaders to clear them.)

Also: The GoPro cameras do have some adjustments regarding wide angle or normal (Mine is a Hero2... not sure about others.)

Still following this thread.

I was really excited about the pan/tilt camera posted... Now (especially since I already have a couple of GoPro cameras and I know how to create pan/tilt mechanisms, I'm leaning towards the GoPro or using one of the cheap FPV units I use for UAV drones (Banggood (SP?), website... lots of different cameras/transmitters and receiving monitors that are super cheap!). Although I now realize, I'd have to create a weather-proof housing for it... still, no big deal fabricating something simple.

Lots of possibilities for solutions here!

Richard
Jarel Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 11:23   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarel Design View Post
Using a spare (spinnaker?) halyard should be available? The "trick" is to design some sort of "saddle" that straddles your fore-stay, or hoist it straight up so that you're hoisting a pole that extends beyond your masthead and is held still from turning side to side by having the base of the pole have a flat/concave surface that is held tight against the mast. (You can hoist it from forward of your spreaders to clear them.)
Erik Aanderaa has a video where you can see his mast "saddle" for his GoPro camera.

I don't believe he has a video discussing its construction or hoisting technique, but I bet he'd respond to comments if you asked for more info about how he's doing it.
Old 27-02-2017, 11:44   #20

That's GREAT!

If you freeze video at 1:3? and 1:46, you can see the yoke/saddle he created to wrap partially around the mast. You can see also how he mounted a "selfie" style stick to the yoke to support the camera as well. (From what was shown, looks like the base mount for a GoPro... All sorts of styles for GoPro mounts can be had at Amazon.com.)

I especially like how he created the tips of the yoke (where it opens up to accept the mast), swing outward to be captured by the side stays, holding the mount firm against the mast!!!

If I were to re-create this, I'd offset where the stick mounts onto the yoke and extend it outward/forward, so that the camera rides at the center line, forward and above the upper furling unit. The camera could be adjusted so that it points where you want it... Sure looks like the camera is held firmly in place and I'd guess that it always finds the "sweet spot" once raised (I've seen other cameras hoisted up the mast that swing around as they are loose fitting.), Or, create a servo based pan/tilt gimble for searching wherever you want...

Thank you for posting this!!! Great job!!!!

Best,
Richard
Old 27-02-2017, 11:51   #21

I took a different aproach and started looking at colision avoidance systems from the automotive industry.
WaynesWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 11:59   #22

Boat: J/42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarel Design View Post
That's GREAT!

If you freeze video at 1:3? and 1:46, you can see the yoke/saddle he created to wrap partially around the mast. You can see also how he mounted a "selfie" style stick to the yoke to support the camera as well. (From what was shown, looks like the base mount for a GoPro... All sorts of styles for GoPro mounts can be had at Amazon.com.)

I especially like how he created the tips of the yoke (where it opens up to accept the mast), swing outward to be captured by the side stays, holding the mount firm against the mast!!!

If I were to re-create this, I'd offset where the stick mounts onto the yoke and extend it outward/forward, so that the camera rides at the center line, forward and above the upper furling unit. The camera could be adjusted so that it points where you want it... Sure looks like the camera is held firmly in place and I'd guess that it always finds the "sweet spot" once raised (I've seen other cameras hoisted up the mast that swing around as they are loose fitting.), Or, create a servo based pan/tilt gimble for searching wherever you want...

Thank you for posting this!!! Great job!!!!

Best,
Richard
I'd thought of something like that before. But it would have to go up the back of my mast due to steaming light and radome. Then do battle with the windex...
Another thought is to mount an actioncam to an old ATN Tacker, or something like, and run that up the furled genoa. (The Tacker doesn't actually like to go past the bulge of the sail.)
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 12:10   #23

Couldn't it be hoisted off at an angle from the mast as well as the steaming light and radar dome? (would definitely need some fiddling on deck to hoist, but could be done (with enough designing)... This would probably be a boat-by-boat design to take into account like items you've mentioned, also if you have two spreaders to deal with etc...

Automobile collision avoidance: Any idea what the range is? Adjustable range? I'm thinking that would be a great idea as well, but what about distance to item to avoid and enough time to steer clear? (NOTE: NOT putting your idea down! I design prototypes for all sorts of products/devices... One of the first things I look at are where are the problems/challenges... Not to stop the client/designer. but to come up with solutions... (- Jarel Design -) Been taking this approach for over 20 years and my regular clients know I'm searching for how to overcome first phase design flaws... I think an avoidance system would be great! What have you discovered so far?

PS: I see that kind of avoidance system working in conjunction with a camera aloft... The camera would help find coral heads and rocks. The avoidance system would cover items above the water.

Great creative thread!

Best,
Richard
(Subscribed and eagerly paying attention!)
Old 27-02-2017, 12:12   #24

PS: What is an ATN tracker? Any photos?

I originally thought of hoisting a saddle that would straddle the forestay and "somehow" find a secure point where it wouldn't wiggle around.

Richard
Old 27-02-2017, 12:19   #25

Boat: J/42

It's just a gadget I happen to have in the locker that rides up and down the furled headsail. Google for details.

That jig discussed above must have been fished around the spreaders using the down-line or something. Maybe it doesn't meet the mast until it gets near the top.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 12:40   #26

Thanks for the image... Got it!

That's what I had originally thought of, but now that I look at it, I'm not so sure it would work... I can see the camera swinging around in circles around the furled sail or forestay as it's being hoisted.. It would need a second line leading at just to stabilize it as it goes up... too much to deal with IMO.

The more I think about it, I like the idea of hoisting some sort of yoke up near the mast...

I wonder if it might be easier to create a piece that would climb up the rear stay and design the yoke/camera mount so that it dog-legs around the mast? It could be designed so that it extends forward of the mast and is held in place at it nests in/under a side stay while extending forward of the forestay... Of course, then there could be issues with the jib (depending on height...( Ah... The joys of designing and climbing up trees that then need climbing down as we think we've "got-it") LOL! All part of the process to develop a better mouse trap!

Glad I'm not in a hurry to create something like this...

PS: In prototype development we often build whats called a "breadboard model" first... Super rough, cardboard, foam, hot glue etc... Just to get a sense of size and how it interacts with the context of it's use... EASY to build, SUPER rough, and once we think it fits and functions how we want, then we go on to a more refined ( although temporary... In this case, use of light ply, plastic plumbing pipe and fittings or...?)), model and test it out. Once we have cleared out all the "bugs", then we build the final prototype (in my case, as close as possible to the final piece to be sent overseas for manufacturers to study and adapt production methods to produce it..).

(I need to turn off my incoming email bell... I can hear it in the studio and jump up whenever it goes off as it could be a client... Oh well, guess I'll keep coming back here! LOL!)

Richard
Old 27-02-2017, 12:55   #27

You could potentially attach a rigid tube (perhaps square aluminium) to the top two or three mainsail slides and raise a camera above the masthead that way. It might need a standoff horizontally from the slides in order to clear the masthead sheaves/fittings, but overall potentially really simple to do. Requires raising the mainsail, though

Or if you want it during mainsail stowage you could build a platform with mainsail slides and run it up the slot.

In any event, I'd want a downhaul in order to guarantee it doesn't jam at the top of the mast and I can pull it down. A downhaul could also provide some stability to the camera rig.
Old 27-02-2017, 13:14   #28

Just came back to my desk to print out some templates for phase #2 of my project... While working, I thought of something VERY similar! LOL!

I was thinking of adding a cheap track designed for small sailboats up the mast facing rear quarter... No obstructions as it's hoisted; doesn't interfere with mainsail...

On the "car" that travels up that track, the camera mount would be hinged so that it faces straight out from the car. A small line could then be rigged so that after the camera is up, you pull down on the line and the hinged section of the "car" stays put, but any configuration of arm could be made to face forward, around mast, stays etc... (Halyard to hoist, hinge line to pull down.)

A lot more complicated (Which is something I have been known to do. LOL!), but it would work...

I keep going back to recognizing that each boat/mast is going to have it's own challenges depending on what is already mounted to the mast...

We have a small (26' Chrysler), sloop with a mast that is brought down for trailering. Reaching the top of the mast is no problem... For larger boats, I would "think" that the goal would be to design something that can use whatever is already aloft and figure out a way to avoid those items that could get in the way to avoid climbing up the mast.

OK... back to work here.

Richard
Old 27-02-2017, 13:21   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Has anyone thought of using a masthead camera to give assurance about bridge height. I know that approaching a bridge, even if I know I have 10 feet to spare, is sometimes nerve racking due to the proximity of the mast and the distance to the bridge. A horizontal look from mast height would be reassuring.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 14:11   #30

Thanks for all the ideas and advice.
When I posted this thread I'd not considered sailing while
using a mast head camera. When in a field of coral heads I motor
at about 2 kits,..this will usually be when approaching anchorage
or navigating a cut.
I'm looking at hard wired, 12v, CCTV cameras w/ wifi to my iPad,
to mount at the mast head. I have mast steps.

Fijijim
Solent rigged, 1968 P35
Suva, Fiji
Jim van Cleve is offline   Reply With Quote