Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2017, 00:37   #1

Video lookout

As a solo sailor, I'm, of course, unable to post a bow lookout. I'm cruising the Fiji Archipelago, and given the preponderance
of coral heads in some areas, I'm considering a GoPro type video camera,
mounted at the spreaders.,,Transmitting to an iPad.
Anyone tried this and what's the opinion?
Vinaka

Fijijim
1968, P35
Suva
Jim van Cleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 13:50   #2

Boat: Chrysler 26, swing keel
Re: Video lookout

Great Idea!
Planning to do the same, but using a different system.
I design a lot of UAV (military and recreational). There are a LOT of wireless "FPV" systems (Check Banggood.com... direct from China and super cheap. Wireless transmitter systems with different cameras and remote monitors.

One thing to consider: If you're placing your camera nearer deck, you may not be able to discern colors etc. The higher up you go, the sharper your angle with a higher probability of being able to see clearer without reflection.
I was planning to send ours up to the masthead with a mount that would keep it close to the mast to keep it from swinging.

Yes... This is a GREAT idea and totally plausible... The nice thing with your GoPro, is that yu can use the waterproof housing and if you check Amazon.co, there are TONS of mounting accessories for super cheap.

Good luck!
Richard
Jarel Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 13:53   #3

Something else to consider:
If you can mount your camera more forward of the mast, you can mount your camera on a 2-servo gimbal (not the expensive ones!!!) Check out hobbyking.com... Using a super cheap radio control unit (2 channel), you can adjust where the camera is pointing from the cockpit and also scan (up/down port starboard)...
Richard
Old 22-02-2017, 14:09   #4

Boat: J/42

I first thought of doing something similar with an inexpensive automotive "back-up" camera. But the resolution, wasn't really good enough. Also the extreme wide angle made it difficult to make out anything more than a few feet away. I wonder if the GoPro would suffer from that as well?
BTW: Years ago, I bought into the "Contour" universe instead of GoPro. Possibly because they are losing the fight, Contour 2+ is sometimes on sale now for about $100. (I bought an "extra" one last week for $99.) Out of the box it will transmit to your iThing and record a GPS track.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 14:18   #5
rbk

Boat: T37

If serious about doing this I would consider mounting atop the mast as others have done. Greater range of visibility with less interference from solar reflection. Another thought is if you can find a polarized lens for said camera that would really help with visibility. Off the bow it may be too late by the time the camera is able to see it. Just realised your're mounting it up the mast
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 14:20   #6

Boat: Colegate 26

While a GoPro does have some great things going for it, small/wireless/weatherproof/high resolution, it's not really designed for a fixed installation, and the mobile app doesn't give you the high resolution view. It doesn't have a good way of powering it permanently and the hacks I've seen pretty much negate the weatherproofing. They're also not particularly cost effective.

I think you might be happier with a PTZ outdoor security camera.

I've seen them in network and video connected versions so you could use a dedicated weatherproof display, or connect to its little webpage. This would give you a true 1080p view and I've seen some with pretty high optical zoom factors. The prices are often comparable to modern GoPros as well.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 14:23   #7

Thanks for all the advice. Yes a polarized lens would be ideal.
Jim van Cleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 14:25   #8

I'm considering something along the lines of this:

https://reolink.com/product/rlc-423/

1440p, PTZ, network camera, with a web page or app monitoring system.
Old 22-02-2017, 14:38   #9

Boat: J/42

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
I'm considering something along the lines of this:

https://reolink.com/product/rlc-423/

1440p, PTZ, network camera, with a web page or app monitoring system.
Very cool idea. Although that would mean another wire up the mast. Something to think about next time the stick is down. Under the radome bracket would be an easy mount on my boat, but one would have to roll in the genoa to see forward. Plus suffer a big blind spot behind the mast.

Action cam on a halyard does have the advantage of something that can be tested quickly and immediately. Assuming that one has the components lying around already. Easy to tape on a little polarizer.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 14:48   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
Very cool idea. Although that would mean another wire up the mast. Something to think about next time the stick is down. Under the radome bracket would be an easy mount on my boat, but one would have to roll in the genoa to see forward. Plus suffer a big blind spot behind the mast.

Action cam on a halyard does have the advantage of something that can be tested quickly and immediately. Assuming that one has the components lying around already. Easy to tape on a little polarizer.
Very true, and with a little fabrication engineering you could easily hoist an action cam ABOVE the masthead giving you amazing views 360 degrees around the vessel, albeit temporarily unless you include some weatherproofed external battery rig (which I've done for very long time lapse capture with my gopro in San Francisco).

I'd like to have a more permanent installation and would even consider two PTZ cameras, one on each side of the mast (like a pair of testes!). But it's also a small hobby of mine so I'm willing to spend more on the project than it probably warrants

The OTHER spot I want a camera is below the waterline looking forward. This I don't think can be permanent and probably should be an action camera. I need to do much more research on that.
Old 22-02-2017, 15:02   #11

Boat: Riva 48

There are a couple of ways to go depending on your display device.

A) Analog camera feeding a chart plotter display. In my case, I get the cameras from Amazon, for about $25/piece, four of them feed a Raymarine E80. The resolution is not high but the colors are excellent, the contrast is perfect during day or night. A major benefit of the E80 display is that you can use it at night without going blind (unlike most TVs). I have one camera at the bow, two on the sides and one looking back. I love the system, use it mostly at night.

B) An IP camera with pan/tilt/zoom displayed on a tablet. You get very high resolution and zoom, however the viewability of the tablet/TV/monitor is not good. It is not bright enough in sunlight and it is too bright/insufficient contrast at night. However, on cloudy days it is quite good. Note you need at least two cameras as one is always blocked by the sail.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 16:09   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I lust after a FLIR camera. I don't know if the temperature delta from a coral head would show up. But it has many other uses. However there be some bucks there.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 17:06   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I lust after a FLIR camera. I don't know if the temperature delta from a coral head would show up. But it has many other uses. However there be some bucks there.

I am real sure it would not, heavy rain will render million dollar super cooled Military FLIR useless, never tried it but FLIR cannot work on underwater objects unless they are emitting excessive heat, which coral heads of course don't.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 08:13   #14

Great input from others!

The security camera that was posted looks great! Pan/Tilt/Zoom/HD...

It looks like it uses 110v house current, but I see there's a power supply. Should be easy enough to find out the volts/current output and create your own adapter to run off of house batteries.

I copied the link as I like this more than some of the other units I was thinking about.

Creating a mount (either fixed, or hoist-able using an extra halyard), to have it rest above your mast, should be easy enough. If temporary, power supply could be a battery pack directly connected as part of the mount.)

Good luck!
Richard
Old 23-02-2017, 08:34   #15

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

We use a GoPro Hero Session 5 mounted on a suction base and an iPad at the helm for bringing up the anchor from the helm and for seeing the port stern scoop when backing up.

We also use this GoPro/iPad system up on the mast when navigating in thin water to see ahead.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote