Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2009, 05:55   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: O'day 30 "Waverider III"
Send a message via Skype™ to waverider
VHF Certification

Hi All,

The Miss's and I are taking our "Restricted Operators Card" with DSC endorsment tomorrow. It is not a long course only 7 hours and it is not expensive $ 75.00 for the two of us.

As the local yacht club is putting the course on for its members, I was surprised to find out how many sailors and cruisers are not interested in taking the course. In Canada and the USA it is a Federal crime to opperate a VHF radio with out a licence.

So I would like to ask all you fellow sailors out there, Do you have your VHF licence? Are you planning on taking the course? Do you not care about the Licence ( is it not worth it, for the investment it takes)?

Christina and I feel it is worth it and the skills to properly communicate with foriegn customs offices will make it easier to clear on our future cruise south.

So I am looking forward to your feedback. What are your thoughts?

Cheers

Todd
waverider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:01   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by waverider View Post
Do you have your VHF licence?
Todd
Certainly do
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:05   #3

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
Yep, me too.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:10   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: O'day 30 "Waverider III"
Send a message via Skype™ to waverider
I should also state that I have worked in the Charter industry for over 20 years and although I do have my Captains papers, not once was I asked for a VHF licence by my employer. When I took my papers in 1984 you didn't even need a licence to recieve your captains papers. Now you do, but then you did not have to have them.

Makes a person wonder?
waverider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:19   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
I have an operators license but the majority of people on the vhf do not and I have never heard of anyone being fined for not having one. Also no jurisdiction has ever asked for my operators license or my station license. It may be that a vhf operators license is not really necessary and just a ploy by the bureaucrats although I can't remember whether the operators license cost anything. I do know they charge for the station license which is only necessary outside of the US and Canada.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:27   #6

Boat: EliBit, Evolution 25
i have one and updating that to a DSC tomorrow!
bitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:28   #7

Unless the law has changed, A U.S. pleasure boat is not required to have a VHF license when sailing in U.S. waters.

DGC
DavidGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:29   #8

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Quote:
Hi All,

The Miss's and I are taking our "Restricted Operators Card" with DSC endorsment tomorrow. It is not a long course only 7 hours and it is not expensive $ 75.00 for the two of us.

As the local yacht club is putting the course on for its members, I was surprised to find out how many sailors and cruisers are not interested in taking the course. In Canada and the USA it is a Federal crime to opperate a VHF radio with out a licence.

So I would like to ask all you fellow sailors out there, Do you have your VHF licence? Are you planning on taking the course? Do you not care about the Licence ( is it not worth it, for the investment it takes)?

Christina and I feel it is worth it and the skills to properly communicate with foriegn customs offices will make it easier to clear on our future cruise south.

So I am looking forward to your feedback. What are your thoughts?

Cheers

Todd
In the U.S., no station license or operator permit is required to operate a VHF while in the U.S. I thought Canada was the same (while in Canada).
The RP in the U.S. just involves paying a fee, no knowledge requirement.

Nautical Know How - Marine Radio Information for Boaters

I have a General RadioTelephone Operators License and a station license.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:37   #9

Boat: Maxum 2700 SCR (28')
Got mine last September - law requires it.

Persons operating a VHF radio must hold a Restricted Operators Licence. If travelling into another nations waters, you must also have a Station Licence.
Just because you don't hear of people being fined for illegal operation of VHF without the operator licence doesn't mean they are not being fined. People are being charged and fined, and the federal law is going to be getting a lot more enforcement as time rolls along.
All boaters who use a VHF radio should take the course. Knowing the proper way to use the VHF radio, and having a command of the international VHF language (alpha, bravo etc) would certainly improve communications.
Jim Quibell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:37   #10

According to this I was partly wrong about Canada. You don't have to have a station license, but you are always required to have the restricted permit.

Pat's Boating in Canada: VHF Marine Radio

John
Old 06-02-2009, 06:40   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Quibell View Post
Persons operating a VHF radio must hold a Restricted Operators Licence. If travelling into another nations waters, you must also have a Station Licence.
Just because you don't hear of people being fined for illegal operation of VHF without the operator licence doesn't mean they are not being fined. People are being charged and fined, and the federal law is going to be getting a lot more enforcement as time rolls along.
All boaters who use a VHF radio should take the course. Knowing the proper way to use the VHF radio, and having a command of the international VHF language (alpha, bravo etc) would certainly improve communications.
I assume you are Canadian and are speaking of Canadian laws?

John
Old 06-02-2009, 07:03   #12
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
"Federal crime"

Quote:
In Canada and the USA it is a Federal crime to opperate a VHF radio with out a licence.
Sheesh! It might be a good idea to get the facts before accusations of committing a "Federal crime" are tossed about. According to FCC Form 1070Y (July 2004), persons DO NOT NEED a restricted radiotelephone permit when "On board a voluntarily equipped ship using only VHF frequencies on domestic voyages OR using a radar, EPIRB, survival craft, or onboard station."

That yacht club has a pretty good scam going if they've convinced you to pay 75 bucks to avoid committing a "Federal crime" that doesn't exist. I hope lunch was included in the cost.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:09   #13

Boat: Beneteau First 42
From the FCC Regulations

See the following from the FCC Reg's

Quote:
No RP ("Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit") is needed to operate the following:
  • (a) a voluntarily equipped ship or aircraft station (including a CAP station) which operates only on VHF frequencies and does not make foreign voyages or flights;

(b) an aeronautical ground or coast station which operates only on VHF frequencies;

(c) on-board stations;

(d) a marine utility station unless it is taken aboard a vessel which makes a foreign voyage;

(e) a survival craft station when using telephony or an Emergency Position Indicating Radiobeacon (EPIRB) station;

(f) a ship radar station if:
    • (i) the operating frequency is determined by a fixed tuned device;
      (ii) the radar is capable of being operated by only external controls;
    (g) shore radar, shore radiolocation, maritime support or shore radio-navigation stations.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:22   #14

Boat: Mac 26x
It is a legal requirement in the UK,if you have a VHF on board someone has to have a licence for it,once you do the course,you then have to send away the signed cert ,you also have to register the radio to the boat.
bastonjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:43   #15

Boat: EliBit, Evolution 25
that's pretty bad if you don't need a license in the US

must be a mess then when you listen to the VHF over there, brrrr
bitman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
certification