Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2009, 09:23   #46

I think we got it right.

Unless you were drifting toward a lee shore -- or at the very least you had tried to rig up some kind of rudder/steering system and you determined you couldn't do it -- where's the emergency (that would require "Pan Pan")?
DavidGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 13:37   #47

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by waverider View Post
Ok so this should get some interesting answers. Below is one of the questions that was on my exam. I got the answer wrong, although I think I was right so here it is.

"It is a beautiful sailing day, you are 160 NM south of Yarmouth. NS. You are solo sailing your 11 meter Yacht "Day Dreaming". The auto helm is set and the wind is about 15 to 20 knots. It is noon and you look around to make sure everything is ok before going below to make some lunch. While being below you feel the boat turn and go into irons, then list and lean on the opposite tact. You run out on deck to grab the helm and it turns losely as if there is no rudder. In fact there is no rudder."

What situation is this? 1) MAYDAY 2) PAN PAN 3) SECURITE

I might add this is a true story. So what is everyones answer?
Well, I don't sail in that area, and small things not mentioned here might make all the difference, but based on the time or two I've been in similar situations I'd answer: None of the above.

Given the pleasant weather and distance from most anyone, there is no reason to immediately inform anyone of anything. I'm not in any immediate danger, don't see any reason to believe there is a chance my situation will progress to that and at 160 miles off shore, I'm not going to be a hindrance to anyone. My VHF is probably next to useless 160 miles offshore anyways. Time to take advantage of the nice weather and lack of boat/shore concerns and fix the problem. There's no rush. I have plenty of time to worry other people later if need be. If it starts getting dark, I still have no steerageway and I'm drifting into a busy shipping lane, my assessment may change.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 14:29   #48

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
On required courses:

I'm glad to hear the VHF courses were available and people found them useful, but I for one don't like the idea of having such courses mandatory. I say this as someone who works in education and is a certified instructor for a few different organizations.

People certainly should have basic VHF knowledge and observe appropriate VHF protocals, but for the most part these are fairly simple. I also don't think its fair to assume, one can only learn these things by taking a course, nore should one assume that taking a course, makes one knowledgeable or behave appropriately.

Also, where does one draw the line? If one argues that one is required to take a 1-day VHF course, one could also argue, that one should take:

a 1-day propane awareness course
a rigging safety and inspection course
a thru-hull and plumbing course
1 5-day course in diesel engine maintenance
a course on lighted vessel identification
a course on sound signals
a course in day and night distress signals
a basic navigation course
a gps navigation course
a 10-day wilderness First Aid Course (many outdoor organizations do)
a course in 12-volt electric systems.
a water rescue course
a boat under sail course
a boat under power course
an anchoring course
a docking course
a course on rules of the road and federal regulations
etc...

Most of these issues are much more complex than VHF use.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 14:41   #49

Boat: Maxum 2700 SCR (28')
In Canada, it is federal law to have your operators license for VHF

[quote=nautical62;253135]On required courses:

I'm glad to hear the VHF courses were available and people found them useful, but I for one don't like the idea of having such courses mandatory. I say this as someone who works in education and is a certified instructor for a few different organizations.

People certainly should have basic VHF knowledge and observe appropriate VHF protocals, but for the most part these are fairly simple. I also don't think its fair to assume, one can only learn these things by taking a course, nore should one assume that taking a course, makes one knowledgeable or behave appropriately.

Also, where does one draw the line? If one argues that one is required to take a 1-day VHF course, one could also argue, that one should take: (quote from previous post)

You need the course to take the exam. You need the exam (70% is the passing score BTW) to get the temporary Restricted VHF Operators Certificate. Your permanent certificate (that must be carried on your vessel at all times) follows in a couple of weeks.
That's the law up here, and it's a good one. No one objects that I have seen, and people are proud to pass and get their certificate.
Don't forget - you need one to operate your VHF if you leave your American territorial waters.
Jim Quibell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:36   #50

Boat: EliBit, Evolution 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Quibell View Post

Don't forget - you need one to operate your VHF if you leave your American territorial waters.
and switch your VHF set to INT channels... Otherwise nice talking on a duplex channel like channel 80 for asking a marina for a berth
bitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:30   #51

Boat: Maxum 2700 SCR (28')
Don't they all have INT - USA - CAN channel ability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitman View Post
and switch your VHF set to INT channels... Otherwise nice talking on a duplex channel like channel 80 for asking a marina for a berth
I just assumed all radios made for the North American market had the same features.
Jim Quibell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 08:29   #52

Re: VHF Certification

OLD thread revived.....wonder if anything has changed inre to VHF certificate requirements.

My GF and I are planning on doing an 8 day ASA fasttrack course in October.(Rob Swain BVIs)

I'm told we need to have a VHF certificate......another $200 course. As a glorified bus driver who talks on a VHF and HF radio every time I go to work, I'm required to have an FCC Restricted Radio/Telephone Operator permit (BTW, nobody has EVER asked to see it except when I go for recurrent training)

So I'm attempting to be all squared away in terms of certificates and licenses for future bareboating and cruising. I'm told that in the Med and esp Croatia, officials may ask to see everything you got.

In your opinion, should we take the VHF course?

Thanks
Old 17-06-2016, 08:51   #53

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

No one has ever asked to see a radio operators license in 15 years of RTW sailing. If they do, I'm sure that your FCC permit would satisfy them.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 09:54   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
No one has ever asked to see a radio operators license in 15 years of RTW sailing. If they do, I'm sure that your FCC permit would satisfy them.
Thanks for the reply Don. That's kinda what I thought.

Old 17-06-2016, 10:17   #55

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Nope no license but do have a ship station license -- hit a bunch of countries and have never been asked for vhf license - mine or ships - we have ssb on board and never asked for that either

and in your 1st posting - what "skills to properly communicate with foriegn customs offices will make it easier to clear on" you need?

We call every port before we enter and 99.9% of the time never get an answer except from a marina we may be going in to -- can they hear us - sometimes as when we start looking for a place to park someone will be waving us in -
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 11:08   #56

Boat: Sea Ray,SundancerDA,30

I don't understand why any one needs to be certified on a VHF, Thats like asking one to be cert on a CB? Nothing special about either one. Now if i was going to use a SSB , then yes by all means be come certified. Theres more to learn on that..
I would not waste my time or money for this.. Its insane.
So if its not, please enlighten me of why I need this
CC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 11:17   #57

Boat: Sea Ray,SundancerDA,30
Re: In Canada, it is federal law to have your operators license for VHF

I do agree, I am an old one using radio's, I will not spend money just to know my phonetic alphabet since the military taught me, and i know what not to say or do on mine. I also learned from manual instructions from my radio operator and no test was needed. This high priced testing will not make me even better than a coast guard radio operator, nor will it make me safer on it. Its like the boaters card, 10.00 and most boaters aren't even safe on the water,but they have the card. If more boaters tells their government politicians to stick that cost up you know where, then it wouldn't cost any thing. I will pay for my instructions and certificate on a SSB.
CC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:57   #58

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

To all you negative sailors out there.....It is called the Restricted Operator's Certificate (Marine) with DSC Endorsement. It is not a licence so stop calling it a licence. It is manadory in Canada to have your certificate to operate a radio station as indicated in the regulations made pursuant to the radiocommuications Act. The course teaches you proper radio proceedures for Distress Urgent and Safety calling, and yes the phonetic alphabet. I am sure you have all heard plenty of garbage and unnecessary communication. If we all used our radios the way the course teaches the useless garbage would be eliminated. So those that don't have your Certificate go a get it.
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:10   #59

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitman View Post
that's pretty bad if you don't need a license in the US

must be a mess then when you listen to the VHF over there, brrrr
Not a mess at all either in the US or Canada.
The operators of recreational vessels in Canada or the US are not required to be licenced to operate a VHF radio. A station licence is required for a Canadian vessel communicating with US stations and vice versa for US vessels. This requirement was about to be tossed out, but 911 intervened and so this rule was left on the back burner. Thank God its not a FEDERAL CRIME to talk on a VHF radio!!
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:24   #60

Boat: Hunter 340

I stand corrected. Apparently there is a requirement in Canada.
This from "industry Canada"...

3. Do I need a radio operator's certificate?

Marine radiotelephones fitted onboard Canadian vessels, must be operated by a person holding a Radio Operator's Certificate (ROC-M). Commercial vessels required to fit Digital Selective Calling or a satellite ship earth station must employ radio operators holding a Radio Operator's Certificate - Maritime Commercial (ROC-MC).

Industry Canada has delegated the ROC-M to the Canadian Power and Sail Squadrons (CPS) and courses are available in many areas. Further information can be found on the CPS website.
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
certification