Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2012, 17:48   #166

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Vendee Globe - the Real Race

Some of you may find this video interesting. JPD after climbing the mast and Jean Le Cam after falling off a wave. Interesting shot of his nav station as well.

Day 40 highlights - Wednesday, December 19, 2012 (VIDEO) - Vendée Globe 2012-2013
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 18:27   #167

Now that's more like it. It was looking like some of these guys were having to way too much fun and getting too much sleep. At least now some are looking like I would expect them to be looking bags under the eyes and all. That must have been some drop the boat did to rip the Nav Station seat from the sole. Lucky he did not break anything when he fell. I agree pretty cool rotating Nav station setup. Good thing that did break loose too.
Old 19-12-2012, 20:16   #168

Cruisers Forum Supporter

They are all starting to talk about the beating they are taking, both to themselves and their boats. The leaders are just over half way with the last being about 4,000 nm behind them. They have a long way to go. Surprising to see how many of them have hit something.

Le Cam will be having a talk with the guy that installed the chair, I'm sure.
Old 20-12-2012, 11:00   #169

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Vendee Globe - Safran's Keel Investigation

The results of tests on Safran's titanium keel (withdrew on first day) shows that it was the result of metal fatigue due to stresses not accounted for when the boat was upgraded to meet the competition of the newer designs. The boat had been raced extensively during the year prior to the Vendee Globe.

Safran's broken keel: Results of the investigation - Vendée Globe 2012-2013
Old 21-12-2012, 17:43   #170

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The leaders just went into time warp and slipped back into yesterday. Armel and Francois keep trading the lead almost every day.
Old 22-12-2012, 13:33   #171

Boat: Niagara 35

I've been cheering for Alessandro who is currently DFL. I figured he was that far behind because he doesn't have experience in the boat, but just found out he's in a 1998 boat with no canting keel!! The canting keel is what gives the boats so much power.

Suddenly I'm pretty impressed he's keeping up so well.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 14:09   #172

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Vendee Globe - Safran's Keel Investigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
The results of tests on Safran's titanium keel (withdrew on first day) (...)
Amazing huh? There was no material flaw and no fabrication flaws. It just snapped off because some young engineer designed a keel to go fast 365 days a year. The problem is the VD started on the 366th day ... arggghhhh!

The funny part is that they say the boat was prepped by some sort military co-op entity. They must have never heard of mil spec though ;-)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 15:43   #173

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Something else that many of the racers have run into problems with are the hydrogenerators. I guess a couple of them struck objects but there have been other failures as well. Bernard Stamm has taken shelter in the Auckland Islands to try to repair his. He has been having problems with them since very early in the race.
Old 22-12-2012, 16:25   #174

Quote:
Something else that many of the racers have run into problems with are the hydrogenerators. I guess a couple of them struck objects but there have been other failures as well. Bernard Stamm has taken shelter in the Auckland Islands to try to repair his. He has been having problems with them since very early in the race.
Seems solar and a wind turbine would be the way to go in this race. If one goes down at least you have some backup and can keep going. My electric propulsion system starts recharging my battery bank starting at 6 knots. But, then the prop is behind the keel and somewhat protected unlike the hydro generators the Vendee Globe boats are using.
Old 22-12-2012, 18:09   #175

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The thought probably was that since they have two generators they would have backup. However if one goes down it limits them to one weather side, which pretty much puts them out of competition for first and may even cause them to have to drop out because if they lose electrical power they lose the autopilot. And they have all (at least the newer boats) cut back on the amount of diesel they carry. Shortsighted IMO that many of the boats don't have any solar cells.
Old 22-12-2012, 18:27   #176

There is not enough sun down there for solars (given the boats and how they are sailed). Given the speeds a hydrogenerator seems a fine idea but apparently this make gives trouble. Remember Hugo's recent 'adventure'.

b.
Old 22-12-2012, 18:37   #177

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well, remember in the deep south where they are now they get many more hrs. of daylight than dark. Maybe not much direct sun but the solar panels would put out some juice. They also spend time going through areas of high solar input. I think it would help to alleviate the problem until they could fix the broken gen. ENERGA is running with solar and wind gen, not sure about the hydro gen. So far ZG has not had to run the engine, if he has one.
Old 23-12-2012, 03:59   #178

Quote:
Well, remember in the deep south where they are now they get many more hrs. of daylight than dark. Maybe not much direct sun but the solar panels would put out some juice. They also spend time going through areas of high solar input. I think it would help to alleviate the problem until they could fix the broken gen. ENERGA is running with solar and wind gen, not sure about the hydro gen. So far ZG has not had to run the engine, if he has one.
It is easier on Energa since they have been sitting at Tenerife`s docks for some weeks now.

You are right about more insolation hours. However, it is low sun and so the panels would have to be angled. The function of energy loss I think is cosine.

I think a quality windgen would make a better back-up (notice Gutkowski of Energa might disagree ;-)). Needless to say, having as many options as possible seems always the most reasonable road.

b.
Old 23-12-2012, 08:40   #179

Boat: porta bote

Ahoi all CFers,
may as well try to use a link as my first post

Javier Sansó on Vendée Globe TV: "I haven't used the hydrogenerators in the southern hemisphere" - Vendée Globe 2012-2013

Thanks to all for this fine forum.

Fair winds
Martin
CHAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 13:01   #180

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi barnie, yes you are right. Actually I was thinking of Javier Sanso on Acciona and confused the two.

Thanks for the post CHAS.

Tags
race