Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 11:46   #91

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: VENDÉE GLOBE round the world race

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Well will you look at this... Maxsea has published their proposed route for the Vendee, and it shows a course that goes west I think. Isn't that the Lobe of Africa in this link?
Alternative route feature launch – Vendée Globe Race | MaxSea Navigation Software Blog
Eh, yes, sailing routes along the many and good French wineries ... ;-)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:48   #92

Boat: Sabre 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel

Does it say he did or they did?

There is an image on the site - looks pretty damaged but more like someone run into him.

b.
Initially the quotes were that the fishing boat hit him. But a statement from Kito later said he was asleep, and that the fishing boat likely wasn't keeping a watch either.

A video on the website shows a broken bowsprit, and pulpit... so it could be construed that the sailboat hit the trawler. Either way, they both should have been keeping a better lookout. I wonder who will end up paying for the damage to the trawler?
Old 13-11-2012, 10:04   #93

Boat: Couch Potato

Beautful i can expect winds up to 6.5 knots on my route for the next 12h with expected headwinds in the next 24-72h. Why oh why didn't i take the blue pill(westerly course) instead of thinking i can squeeze by the coast of Africa after the leaders.

Old 13-11-2012, 10:21   #94

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohi View Post
Beautful i can expect winds up to 6.5 knots on my route for the next 12h with expected headwinds in the next 24-72h. Why oh why didn't i take the blue pill(westerly course) instead of thinking i can squeeze by the coast of Africa after the leaders.
Next time you will know the inshore route does not pay. Say 6/10 it does not and most racers pass to the W of Canary Islands.

The trick is when to cut W and hit the wall. The longer you wait the better conditions you may count on on the other side as the L will be further to your N. But if one waits too long then they may get stuck in light airs for longer.

I think virtual boats can cut W earlier than the real ones who are affected by the swell to a large extent.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 10:28   #95

Boat: Couch Potato

You know what they say, a smart person learns on other peoples mistakes and fool learns on his/hers own(i guess i know what bracket i fall into). The forecast was showing strong winds near the coast of Africa and i was assuming* i will be able to ride it all the way to Canaries. Well i will pay for that in the next couple of days.

* Assumption = Mother of all f...ups
Old 13-11-2012, 10:45   #96

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

It is a long race Lohi, perhaps its more a matter of stamina. This routing software is amazing though. It'll take to on the fasted predicted route to your waypoint. Yes, that's the key, it does not predict what waypoint, you have to pick it. We are still determining things and making judgements which is encouraging. I'm seeing the gribs anticipate things, but do not actually nail actual conditions. I am sure we'll find plenty of more holes. It's the end goal you must keep your eyes on...and thats a long way off indeed.

I am wondering how are the intermediate waypoints that are sent up to the autopilot are selected? These locations are very important, and being a control freak sometimes I am wondering if there is a way to affect or select them other than make your own list and upload that?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 11:00   #97

Rick you are not the first trying the african coast. I did that the first time (a long time ago)and I swear I won't do it anymore, never Whatever the grib says.

Anyway it's a long race so don't worry, there will be plenty of time to catch up (and who knows, maybe this time African coast will pay off?)

I don't quite understand your question about autopilot. The simple way is to build your route, then go to the autopilot tab in the route editor, load automatically and hop, that's done. There are other ways but honestly I don't use them, or very rarely.
maitai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 11:04   #98

Right now I am inside the canaries and almost through them and the leader Veleros RC who is 47 miles in the lead has done the same, but is squeezing west. The others who went this route appear to be on the same course as me. Maitai and others have gone west long ago, and I am wondering if I am in Lohi's spot too.

This is completely new to me, and here is where experience pays, where real and virtual meet, the decisions are essentially the same. Barnakeil says the timing to cut west is important and that you must cut west sometime to avoid the holes in the wind. Doesn't distance traveled make a difference? - I could go west now or go west awhile later where there is a perfectly logical spot, this choice does not seem to impact the predicted arrival at a midpoint location some distance below the WP1 gate, that much. Anyone's thoughts?
Old 13-11-2012, 11:09   #99

Maitai, I just saw your note. Thank you!
Quote:
I don't quite understand your question about autopilot. The simple way is to build your route, then go to the autopilot tab in the route editor, load automatically and hop, that's done. There are other ways but honestly I don't use them, or very rarely.
This is exactly what I was going, it quite quick and easy, so I guess I'll keep doing it, but worry more about exactly Where I am picking to go. A shorter route along the coast apparently is not a good idea because of the variable winds. I am going to have to decide when to move west, perhaps it is not too late?
Old 13-11-2012, 11:28   #100

Quote:
Next time you will know the inshore route does not pay. Say 6/10 it does not and most racers pass to the W of Canary Islands... The trick is when to cut W and hit the wall. The longer you wait the better conditions you may count on on the other side as the L(ow) will be further to your N. But if one waits too long then they may get stuck in light airs for longer.
I now am trying to understand the November Pilot Chart for Southern Atlantic using OpenCPN. I guess they are called horse latitudes for a reason, and they probably defy any grib prediction! -So we must not depend on them in these areas.....?
Old 13-11-2012, 11:30   #101

Yes the big question is always where to put the destination WP. That's why it's fun, actually And that why you can see others have different ideas

Link to see the virtual race (the easy one): VLM - Mode Spectateur
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	49674  
Old 13-11-2012, 11:35   #102

hwecken, Kirke I selected you for viewing because you're the only other one with an O , and you've been at "2" for quite some time! This race appears to be a shadow on the wall, as Plato described, and we may need Maitai and his crew to "bring home the bacon" as they say. How do you feel about Veleros RC moving west? He's gone quite far west fairly fast.
Old 13-11-2012, 11:39   #103

Thank you Maitai, that is a spectacular view of the fleet. -Who says sailing is a dying sport? It makes me wonder what taking a flyer is!
Old 13-11-2012, 11:59   #104

Now I think I've got it. You normally go downwind to the north of WP2 Gough Island on a big sleigh ride in high winds under Africa. That is after you break through the "Wall". Is the Wall the Horse latitudes? If this is the proper course, I've got to move west sometime!
Old 13-11-2012, 12:37   #105

Yes normal route goes close to Brazil... You have to go west sometime, and it's going to be painful.

Tags
race