Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-02-2016, 21:25   #16

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: US Navy bring back sextant

You people are talking about full size ships. This forum is about small craft--power yachts and sailing yachts.

A few years ago I was moored at Hinckleys marina in Savannah GA USA. Lots of long range cruisers stop in at Hinckleys for repairs. I was taking the US Power Squadron core navigation courses then. I did a small survey: I asked several long range cruisers who were passing through if their electronics had ever failed out in the middle of the ocean (eventually I asked about 12). Fully one quarter of them said yes, and had a story like, "Yes! Three years ago we came out of Fort Lauderdale after the boat show">Miami Boat Show and headed for the Azores. Three days out our electronics packed it in and we couldn't fix it. We dusted off the ol' sextants and navigated in to the Azores with them. We got new electronics there and went on....."

Small boat sailors absolutely need to know and be able to apply sextant navigation. And the standard of navigation for small boat sailors is, and always has been, pencil and straightedge on paper charts, everything else is an adjunct.

On a Navy ship, when your electronics fail, you call an electrician. Well, there is hardship. You just know he's going to be on the other end of the aircraft carrier and will take ten long minutes to get to you in his slow golf cart.....

In a cruising sailboat you can call for an electrician all you want...

Old 24-02-2016, 02:26   #17

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymore View Post
In a cruising sailboat you can call for an electrician all you want...
Or these days just turn on one of the many other gps devices onboard, tablet, mobile..quick count I must have about 8 onboard. With many ways to get some charge though a battery would take you across and ocean turning on a couple of times a day. Times change.

Which isn't to say that it isn't a good idea having a sextant aboard, that's just a good idea without the need for any justification .

Old 24-02-2016, 03:02   #18

Boat: Fun&sporty Cat but looking for the one....

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Or these days just turn on one of the many other gps devices onboard, tablet, mobile..quick count I must have about 8 onboard. With many ways to get some charge though a battery would take you across and ocean turning on a couple of times a day. Times change.
Yes, and this is "the problem": Our cars, planes, boats, weapons are becoming GPS dependant

Redundancy is a major safety issue, and you/we have severall devices based in one sistem
Itīs like having two engines taking fuel from one empty tank
Redundancy should be diferent independent systems to to the same thing

A4
Old 24-02-2016, 03:08   #19

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Didn't work out well for us when I served in the Navy on a sub. We lost navigation and just wanted to go north for 6 hours till the satellite was due so we could reset the system. Too bad after that using the old school real reclaimable nav method we headed south.
Do they have special table with height above sea level in minus fig on subs? sorry could not resist
Old 24-02-2016, 03:44   #20

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqu4tro View Post
Yes, and this is "the problem": Our cars, planes, boats, weapons are becoming GPS dependant

Redundancy is a major safety issue, and you/we have severall devices based in one sistem
Itīs like having two engines taking fuel from one empty tank
Redundancy should be diferent independent systems to to the same thing

A4
Long beyond "becoming"

Add to that list financial systems which use GPS for transaction timing, it's everywhere. Which is why the system is so robust and us sailors have other things to worry about offshore.
Old 24-02-2016, 07:10   #21

Boat: 83 Tanzer 27

anytom, I am sure INS or something a little better is still in use. But the scope dopes (OSs) had that back in Combat. We QMs did the real naviguessing on the bridge (yes it was fun competition when we actual got a good fix who was closer). Long time ago and good memories. Middle east is not the same as it was in the 70s. Hats off to all service members and vets.

Ken
Old 24-02-2016, 08:59   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
The US navy, after a deca

U.S. Navy Brings Back Navigation By The Stars For Officers : NPR

Probably a smart move. I was surprised that their officers were NOT trained in its use, but like everything else, if they do no actually practice, how proficient will they be?

One thing, it means that sextant manufacturers are not going the way of the buggy whip.
Very good move. I believe they are also bringing back coal fired ships, cannon and cannonball. I heard the Royal Navy is bringing back bell bottoms on trousers for their sailors.
........as a safety consideration.
Old 24-02-2016, 09:00   #23

You can also use a sextant for measuring the distance from an object with a known height ie a lighthouse, and also a horizontal sextant angle when you have 2 known points ie headlands.
They really ought to bring back morse too. When you don't want anyone listening to what you want to say or your electronics are down, this system is really useful still
Old 24-02-2016, 09:00   #24
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbit View Post
There's another aspect.

This is sending a very big message to the Education system, to improve the mathematics competence of those leaving the Education system . . . . .

"mathematic" that you need for celestial navigation is mathematics for ten years old.
Old 24-02-2016, 09:03   #25

Boat: Pearson 34-II

"But there is other value to bringing back the sextant. In addition to being one more "tool in the navigator's toolbox", fixing a ship's position from the stars is a part of our heritage, a mark of a professional seaman, and a way to signal a young kid from the Bronx or Iowa that they have joined a MARITIME organization. And that membership in an elite cadre comes with tradition and ritual...like knowing more than the average bear about noon sights and which star is Spica." Polar Opposite

Polar,
That was beautifully written! Best, Rognvald
Old 24-02-2016, 09:16   #26

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqu4tro View Post

A4
Not all weapons! The important ones still rely on inertial and celestial navigation, and good old ballistics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our Tyme View Post
anytom, I am sure INS or something a little better is still in use.
Can't speak for surface ships, but inertial navigation is still in use. Some are way better than others that don't require as many GPS corrections for gyro drift.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 24-02-2016, 09:26   #27

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Two years ago the British MOD posted a warning that due to military exercises GPS may not be available (for a certain area) and worse, may give false readings.

It was idiotic for the Navy to stop teaching traditional navigation. All the branches have become too reliant on technology and have failed to provide back up solutions.
Old 24-02-2016, 09:27   #28

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Seems like good sense. The next war may be won. by electronics. Nav. is just one aspect,
can you imagine what bringing down the net. would do to the civilized world? Or part there of.
Old 24-02-2016, 09:59   #29

Its pretty clear to the military that EMP warfare is right around the corner. Plus solar flares someday will(not maybe) power down virtually all electronics. With satellite warfare coming on board, there is a scramble to provide earth based command and control systems. The Chinese already showed they can blow up a satellite in space from ground bases in China(did that about four years ago). Thus a lot of old stuff coming back on line like celestial navigation, vacuum tubes, and long wave comm systems.
Old 24-02-2016, 10:35   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNemoO2 View Post
Not all weapons! The important ones still rely on inertial and celestial navigation, and good old ballistics!

Can't speak for surface ships, but inertial navigation is still in use. Some are way better than others that don't require as many GPS coBrrections for gyro drift.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I hope to god someone doesn't devise a way to jam Gravity or those bombs are not only going to be inaccurate ...... It will take forever for the bombs to reach the ground.....

Tags
navy, sextant

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: