Originally Posted by Captain Ludd
Hi Guys n Gals
My question is then, how would you set-up from an almost blank canvas.
Buying an ex-charter has been discussed a few times over the years, opinions vary
- not something I would automatically exclude if the circumstances arose (albeit unlikely to ever to). A well used engine would not worry me, IMO all about maintanence history
condition rather than hours. VAT? wot dat?
On the Nav side I think that very much depends on what each person needs and wants.....and their budget!
Me would want (in no particular order):
- Echo Sounder
Speed indicator (my understanding is that cats a bit more big wind
sensitive than monos)
- detachable from helm
.....anti theft! and usable at Nav Station, albeit mostly used for pilotage / course keeping rather than for Passage
planning so jumbo size not uber criticial.
, dual use (inc for CF!) - but also with Nav Charts
loaded (passage planning and redundancy). Likely I would also have AIS
installed down below, a nice big screen
would be on my "I want to have one" list!, even with a laptop
(for me both bigger is better and I like using dual screens).
- AIS (on Laptop - see above)
info, would like something that provided weather
info pretty much anywhere in the world......am not up to date on what is "Out there", but likely something down the pipe onto the Laptop.
- Sat Phone
, only if some capacity was needed for the Weather Info.
- Smartphone and Tablet, redundancy and because it is the 21st Century and would have them anyway!
- Extra GPS
units, including handheld.....redundancy and because I have a few floating around anyway
- Paper Charts! Me likes paper for passage
planning, but I appreciate that a personal choice. Not a full set for RTW!, but enough to enable me to navigate self into reach of a coast using a handheld GPS and a pencil, or simply a pencil and DR (WAG!).
, a fixed set and a handheld.
- a Log, I like the paddlewheel simplicity (and independence form electronics) for speed.
? Unless in Foggy areas and / or heavy shipping
lanes. for me on the nice to have list only - accepting that their would be times when it would be on the "I wish I had it" list
- Ham? Not for me, but if of interest to self then no bad idea - especially if it provides weather info.
I should also make clear that am not one of the (many!) CF members who are or have voyaged far and wide - but been "messing around in boats" since I was a kid, that includes pre GPS.........at the moment(?!) me is on an (endless!) refit
of........a Seadog 30
(life has intervened more than a few times over the last 5 years or so - that and laziness. lol