Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2019, 07:16   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Re: upgrade of navagation system

Just want to point this out: Your old instruments may be worth a lot more than you think. When we did ours a couple of years ago, we got back about 40% of our new costs on fleabay.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 23:52   #62

Send a message via Skype™ to wackerb

More bad news. Raymarine's flagship Lighthouse/Axiom doesn't have a night color mode. But it is supposed to work as an entertainment center, UAV (drone) controller, USB audio controller, play Netflix, Spotify, and some other apps I don't even recognize.

And, the RayControl app for pads and smartphnes which is renamed RayRemote on installation can either display the MFD OR a keypad to control it, but not both at the same time. So, it only works as a remote if you're looking at the MFD, when it is easier just to use the MFD. Their advertising that RayControl gives you remote control from anywhere on the boat is plain not true.
wackerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:13   #63

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Does anyone use night mode? I always found that you lost detail. Instead I just dim the display, it goes down low enough.

The Simrad/B&G remote app is better than the raymarine one from what I've seen. In fact the Simrad networking on the whole is better.

All of the different companies have some strengths and weaknesses, it's a pain they can't just be combined into a single product.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:22   #64

According to the captain I learned under any white light negatively affects your night vision for up to a few minutes. I don't mind nosing up to the screen for detail as long as I can see what's outside.

As for features, what I find disturbing is that Raymarine has had night modes on their previous equipment, but dropped it in Lighthouse/Axiom in favor of a bunch of frivolous entertainment apps and has a "remote" android app that is not remote at all.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:54   #65

BTW, here's a cool video of True Wind https://youtu.be/tsGNz1K-9Vs
Old 12-05-2019, 02:06   #66

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackerb View Post
BTW, here's a cool video of True Wind https://youtu.be/tsGNz1K-9Vs
Your in Wellington NZ?
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:11   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
Does anyone use night mode? I always found that you lost detail. Instead I just dim the display, it goes down low enough.

The Simrad/B&G remote app is better than the raymarine one from what I've seen. In fact the Simrad networking on the whole is better.

All of the different companies have some strengths and weaknesses, it's a pain they can't just be combined into a single product.
Yes, I agree, I just dim the display right down, it goes very very low.

+1 for the waypoint ack being annoying. I hear its RM being very sensitive about a lawsuit.

Lighthouse 3 does have some very nice features, and they have just introduced lay-lines.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:28   #68

BigAl.NZ, was in Wellington, now in Bay Bridge Marina, Tauranga with 45kt winds . Headed for BOI and the islands.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:49   #69

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

Well, I use night mode on my Garmin and it is just great. Automatically switches to it at sunset.

To chip in, pun intended, my primary reason for going with a Garmin MFD despite having Raymarine ST60 instruments: when you set a Go To or Route on the Garmin there is a nice thick purple line. Cannot miss it. Conversely, on all the Raymarine chart plotters that I have seen there is a but a near invisible pecked line.

I have had great support from both Garmin and Raymarine so I do not think that is a basis for going with one or the other. It is the clarity of the Garmin kit and the ease of use that wins out for me.

For close quarters navigation the best charting that I have so far come across is the Warsila iSailor Transas charts. Very regular updates.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 23:42   #70

I was wrong. RM has three apps: RayView, RayRemote, and RayControl. I didn't see Control because I was searching on a smartphone. RayControl only works on a pad. Seems a little buggy, but works in between restarts.

Sorry for the false information.
Old 16-05-2019, 00:37   #71

Quote:
I was wrong. RM has three apps: RayView, RayRemote, and RayControl. I didn't see Control because I was searching on a smartphone. RayControl only works on a pad. Seems a little buggy, but works in between restarts.

Which does what? Are you still in Tauranga?
Old 16-05-2019, 09:23   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Is there any downside to dispensing with a chartplotter altogether, and going instead with a PC and waterproof, daylight-readable repeater monitor in the cockpit? Far less expensive (most of us already have the PC although waterproof/high pixel monitors aren't cheap), easier to update charts, more flexible, and potentially more options when it comes to chart sourcing. AIS and, in some cases, radar can also be shown. Variety of software options to choose from, including OpenCPN freeware. Not necessarily trying to pitch one over the other, only wondering what dedicated chartplotters have to offer these days over the PC option.

My viewpoint as well, my electronics are as old as the boat (30+yrs)
Psy at SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 09:39   #73

Quote:

Mine works great. Do you have these products?

Raycontrol on my Ipad does everything the actual display does (albeit with slight delay - it's a mirror of the chartplotter of any and all it's features/settings/etc).
two-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 02:11   #74
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bavaria 36

that's just not my experience Wackerb, I have tried it many times as a remote application and it works for me anyway.
yenhg is offline   Reply With Quote