Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2014, 03:43   #16

Re: Unmarked Reefs in South Paciifc

For OpenCPN users s/v Ocelot's list in GPX format (attached). Best used as a Layer.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Fiji_Passage_Dangers.gpx (18.2 KB, 63 views)
PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 06:04   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

Yes. This is the list.

Most of the items are items long removed from official charts of earlier editions as found non-existent by relevant offices.

Some are added by pilots who flew over the waters. Often pre-gps era. Positions doubtful, depths unknown.

Mind not all the waters there are charted. And when they are charted, there is a certain level of detail. Whenever inshore, always eye ball your way, no matter how good your charts may seem to be.

If crossing Torres area at any time remember huge areas of shallow water there are NOT charted. Has never been. The same applies to NC Northern Lagoon and many other places.

Have fun!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:15   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I never found any uncharted reefs in the pacific, and I know that the french particularly have done an amazing job re-charting their parts to a very high accuracy level.

But I also know that the Bohemia river in the ches bay has a note on the chart "shoaling reported 1981", and it is in fact significantly shallower than shown, and they have still not changed the depths on the chart. I asked one of the USCG folks responsible for charting the bay about it and she said they only care about/update/have budget for the areas with commercial/shipping traffic.

So, I would not be surprised if outside the french areas, and the US military use areas, there were still some charting errors/omissions.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reefs