Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2018, 04:32   #1

Boat: Valiant 42
UK to report ships with AIS turned off

The UK has a new satellite up and running. It can create maps of the earth using radar rather than visible light. And it contains an AIS receive capability. If they find a ship at see with no AIS signal they plan to turn that ship in to the authorities. No word on how they can identify the exact ship. But still it seems like a good idea.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-46312874
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 04:55   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: UK to report ships with AIS turned off

Go UK..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 05:16   #3
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: UK to report ships with AIS turned off

Presumably would only apply to boats **required** to have AIS in the first place.

I would only want myself if anonymity were possible.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 07:40   #4

Boat: Colegate 26

I'm all for this so long as transmitting AIS can be made inexpensive. Not everyone out boating has the funds for expensive electronics.

Also, monitoring from a satellite won't be the best solution. What if my transmitter antenna has a high gain antenna on it? It won't be transmitting "upward", only horizontally, and the satellite won't see my AIS signal.

Unless of course they're combining it with an array of ground stations that are able to receive AIS from all of UK waters.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 08:14   #5

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Presumably would only apply to boats **required** to have AIS in the first place.

I would only want myself if anonymity were possible.
The article states -

"The satellite is equipped with a receiver that can pick up Automatic Identification System (AIS) radio signals.
These are the positional transmissions that large ships are obliged to broadcast under international law.
Vessels that tamper with or disable these messages very often are engaged in smuggling or illegal fishing activity.
If such ships appear in NovaSAR's radar pictures, they will be reported to the authorities."

Pretty clear to me.
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 08:17   #6

Boat: Pearson 10M

After reading the referenced article, I see that the resolution is 6M and while not explicitly said in the article it is clear that this is intended for commercial and larger ships.
The report to authorities could be as simple as time, size, speed and direction of the vessel for the local authorities to investigate.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 08:25   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

How about a possible search and rescue use to perhaps? assuming a yacht is broadcasting AIS.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 08:44   #8

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

I have very rarely come across large ships that are not transmitting AIS as they are obliged to be doing. Major problem is fishing boats who i have found only turn ON their transmit when i happen to be close but otherwise their transmit if OFF so they do not show other fishing boats where they are fishing.

In Europe the big ships seems to take a very responsible attitude to smaller sailing boats, even in very heavy traffic such as the English Channel, Brest or Straights of Gibraltar. The challenge is trying to figure out where the fishing boats and ferries are going.
Old 23-11-2018, 08:55   #9

Boat: Gauntlet 12 ton

When we sailed through Indonesia in 2013, we several times experienced ships at night which turned their AIS transmitters off as soon as they heard our VHF transmissions. Our first question was always "have you seen us?". We had some near misses. Not to mention smaller vessels not required to have AIS and which often had no lights or incorrect lights. We would not want to sail there ever again.
jasbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 09:00   #10

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
I'm all for this so long as transmitting AIS can be made inexpensive. Not everyone out boating has the funds for expensive electronics.

Also, monitoring from a satellite won't be the best solution. What if my transmitter antenna has a high gain antenna on it? It won't be transmitting "upward", only horizontally, and the satellite won't see my AIS signal.

Unless of course they're combining it with an array of ground stations that are able to receive AIS from all of UK waters.
Your FP is not required to carry an AIS...
Old 23-11-2018, 09:01   #11

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:

Actually, that's how Marinetraffic.com often works in harbours: shore-based stations poll AIS transmissions and plot them on the webpage maps. That how I can tell my boat hasn't been stolen from its dock...I can see it online! (For the record, there are not a lot of Class B AIS units in Toronto Harbour; I think there's three at my club and in busier places, I wouldn't leave the AIS on when not aboard the boat as that just creates clutter.)
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 09:50   #12

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:

Satellites are not that high in the sky and not usually directly overhead. They can easily receive Class A AIS which is what matters for this case. They are not interested in Class B recreational AIS.

If your vessel is not required to carry AIS then none of this matters. They are only looking for ships required to transmit AIS. For now the UK only have 1 satellite so several more would be needed to achieve world wide coverage. This satellite can operate in darkness or when the earth is obscured by clouds so more of them would be nice to have.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 10:20   #13

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

The whole reason for this is to protect the marine no take zone around UK dependent territories which have some of the worlds best fishing grounds, and are targeted to rouge fishing vessels that turn of radar and AIS to stop Her Majesties Navy from intercepting them.
these areas are a 200 mile no take zone around The Falkland Islands,South Georgia , St Helena , Ascension Island. Diego Garcia and surrounding Islands.
The satellites are so powerful that they can pick up names , and flags of register and track vessels back to home port.
Clearly not intrested in your little boat with a fishing line out
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 10:29   #14

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
What if my transmitter antenna has a high gain antenna on it? It won't be transmitting "upward", only horizontally, and the satellite won't see my AIS signal.
A high gain antenna sends in all directions. It just sends and receives a stronger horizontal signal.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 10:33   #15

Boat: offshore 8 meter

Fishing boats in the western aoproaches also dont answer their radios .ive had a few close calls
scallowayuk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais