Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2019, 19:26   #61
cruiser

Boat: OPBs
Re: UK to report ships with AIS turned off

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I was not saying illegal fishing is not a huge problem.
Sure. The quote I edited in should clear up the UK's purpose for doing the reporting or you can go back to the original post and read the article linked, if it helps.
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 19:27   #62

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

But fishing boats of normal size are not required to have AIS, so how can this ploy be used to combat illegal fishing?

Jim
Old 02-02-2019, 19:43   #63
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
But fishing boats of normal size are not required to have AIS, so how can this ploy be used to combat illegal fishing?

Jim
What's 'normal size' for a fishing boat?

The target here is the many illegal fishing boats that sail into another nation's territorial waters, especially nations with small or no Navies/Coastguards, and fish their waters, often decimating local populations. These tend to be larger, ocean going commercial vessels that are required to show AIS.

A quick google shows how widespread the problem is. Here's one of the articles I just found:

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...n-reserve-spd/
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 03:50   #64

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Fish?

North Korean / Iran sanctions, illegal arms trading I think more likely targets
The system is set up for primary for the overseas territory of Accession , St Helna , the Falklands , South Georgia and Diego Garcia and surrounding islands that have all been or in the stages of being classified as Marine Reserves and a 200 economic limit has been set around said Islands which is the right of the sovereign state to monitor fish catches, this is because these are some of the richest fisheries and have been over fished and exploited by large fish factory vessels coming in from foreign states
The British Government has no chance of patrolling such vast areas and is turning to satellite tec to hopefully stop this.
North Korea , Iran Sanctions are of no Concern to the UK as we have no sanctions with Iran other than weapons ,and North Korea is not our remit, and can do nothing about them as they will be in international waters and the no doubt the ships registered to friendly countries of said regimes.
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 03:52   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Jim
They are not concerned about small boats its the big Factory ships that come and scoop up the fish , these territories are to far away for small fishing vessels to enter , there after the big boys
Old 03-02-2019, 13:28   #66
Marine Service Provider

Please note that I said nothing about the boarding of vessels by naval authorities. You are correct that this effectively can be done by most navies but that was not the issue.

Running your AIS in transmit mode in sketching areas of the world is asking for trouble . US Navy vessels only run their AISs in transmit mode when approaching high traffic areas in friendly inland waters. I don't think they will be impressed if some UK bureaucrats "report" them to the school principal.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 03:33   #67
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

That would be the principal being reported by the system
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:58   #68

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
Running your AIS in transmit mode in sketching areas of the world is asking for trouble.
Agreed, but how many yachts operate in sketchie areas?

Quote:
US Navy vessels only run their AISs in transmit mode when approaching high traffic areas
You mean like the traffic separation schemes off the coast of Japan?

Quote:
I don't think they will be impressed if some UK bureaucrats "report" them to the school principal.
Those same bureaucrats do quite a good job of bringing to court captains both commercial and yachties who break the rules in the TSS off Dover. The MCA also does a good job of inspecting and seizing commercial vessels who fail safety inspections. You might think this is over the top, until you read the reasons for the seizure. Personally I am quite glad they do.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/f...ring-july-2018
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:43   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Agreed, but how many yachts operate in sketchie areas?

You mean like the traffic separation schemes off the coast of Japan?

Those same bureaucrats do quite a good job of bringing to court captains both commercial and yachties who break the rules in the TSS off Dover. The MCA also does a good job of inspecting and seizing commercial vessels who fail safety inspections. You might think this is over the top, until you read the reasons for the seizure. Personally I am quite glad they do.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/f...ring-july-2018

+1 Yes it is a shame some people always think someone is out to get them ,
It must also be noted most Naval vessels af the world have their AIS turned off.
Abd fisheries protection and Coast Guard and border Patrol , no good trying to catch the bad guys when they can see your AIS signal behind the Island their trying to hide from
Old 04-02-2019, 08:00   #70

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
They can report away to their little bureaucratic hearts content but they have no jurisdiction over any vessel outside of their territorial waters except UK flagged vessels.

Their reach is longer than their jurisdiction. Regardless of flag state, insurance companies will be happy to find out if the vessels they insure are turning off mandatory safety equipment.

The pen is mightier than the sword, except one in one.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:03   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic
Also, monitoring from a satellite won't be the best solution. What if my transmitter antenna has a high gain antenna on it? It won't be transmitting "upward", only horizontally, and the satellite won't see my AIS signal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Satellites are not that high in the sky and not usually directly overhead. They can easily receive Class A AIS which is what matters for this case. They are not interested in Class B recreational AIS.
The lowest practical orbit for a satellite is 250 miles up. This particular satellite is 350 miles up.

However, I'm assuming the primary limitation on the broadcast distance of AIS/VHF signals is curvature of the Earth. So even at a whopping 350 miles, a satellite with a high gain receiver should have no problem picking an AIS signal radiating from an omni antenna.
NPCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:10   #72

Boat: Valiant 42

That’s correct as long as solar radiation isn’t too bad. So during some parts of the day satellite may not pick up every signal. But there are several satellites so usually the AIS system will log each class A signal several times a day. Maybe more often at night.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais