Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2010, 13:08   #1

Boat: Piver Victress
UK Digital Charts

Does anyone have a set ( or any ) of UK Digital Charts ( any format will do ) ? .... I have Digital charts of several regions to trade in response ...
svtadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 13:49   #2

Boat: Hanse 445 - 2012
Send a message via Skype™ to James Baines
Thumbs up I have some but they may not be what you need.

Hi, I have seven or eight cartridges that I bought by mistake thinking that they would fit either my Raytheon or Navman plotters. (They don't).
My plotters need the N format and these are the original (Larger) CMap cartridges. They cover from Cromer all around the coast to (I think) Lands End. If they would be of interest to you, let me know, I paid £60 for the set and I would be happy to sell them for that amount.
Cheers,

James
James Baines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 14:43   #3

Boat: Piver Victress
Thanks for your reply James ...

However, I was thinking more in terms of RNC/ENC charts for use in a laptop running OpenCPN ... I am also looking to trade for chart sets that I have not buy ...

Perhaps I should have clarified that in my original post ...
svtadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 15:05   #4

See my private message to you, James
Old 01-10-2010, 14:28   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
The CM93 charts are of course pirate copies.

dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 18:25   #6
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

dave
Yep. It is quite possible that all the charts on that site are pirated.

On the page in the second link in my signature I have a list of all the places I know of to download LEGAL marine charts.

I do not have a page of where to download pirated charts. Now, I'm not saying I don't know where some are and I'm not saying I haven't downloaded some of them myself. Just saying I don't maintain a page to promote them.

My post above was not to promote downloading those charts, just pointing out the mistake Sinbad7 made in saying they had worldwide ENCs.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 18:57   #7

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
dacust..

I suggest you read the following description of ENC v RASTER charts:

Raster vs. Vector Charts
The structure and format of a vector-based ENC is defined by the International Hydrographic Office S-57 standard, which means that the ENC is in a non-proprietary, publicly available, and internationally recognized format. The ENC contains information about the location of each chart feature, as well as color, shape, depth, and the like. This information is used in ENC Charting Software to draw a nautical chart display—one that has greatly enhanced functionality.

A raster chart, by contrast, is a facsimile of a paper chart—that is, a picture of a chart displayed on a computer screen. It is a file of information that can be thought of as dots (or pixels). The raster file tells the computer what color to draw at each pixel. Thus, the computer “knows” what color is there, but cannot distinguish a black pixel that is part of a sounding from a black pixel that is part of a dangerous wreck.

Users can also switch off the display of soundings, lights or text, as well as change the sounding measurements from meters to feet.

The ENC stores the feature, its latitude and longitude, and its descriptive information. For example, when reading a ENC, OpenCPN “knows” the depth of soundings, and can display it in feet or meters depending on your preference. Furthermore, one can control the way OpenCPN displays the data by switching off the display of soundings, lights, or text as desired.

The CM93 charts are definately ENC's, revealing all local features with a right mouse click. Why else would Dave include the detail slider in OpenCPN? Raster charts or BSB/KAP charts do not have this option and can not be zoomed. Only vector charts can be zoomed.

Here are two charts,one CM93 ENC showing map details, the other a KAP RASTER charts with no hidden details other than what you see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_01 Oct. 01 23.00.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	222.5 KB
ID:	19741   Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_02 Oct. 01 23.01.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	350.2 KB
ID:	19742  

Old 01-10-2010, 20:07   #8
Obsfucator, Second Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
dacust..

I suggest you read the following description of ENC v RASTER charts:

Raster vs. Vector Charts
The structure and format of a vector-based ENC is defined by the International Hydrographic Office S-57 standard, which means that the ENC is in a non-proprietary, publicly available, and internationally recognized format. The ENC contains information about the location of each chart feature, as well as color, shape, depth, and the like. This information is used in ENC Charting Software to draw a nautical chart display—one that has greatly enhanced functionality.

A raster chart, by contrast, is a facsimile of a paper chart—that is, a picture of a chart displayed on a computer screen. It is a file of information that can be thought of as dots (or pixels). The raster file tells the computer what color to draw at each pixel. Thus, the computer “knows” what color is there, but cannot distinguish a black pixel that is part of a sounding from a black pixel that is part of a dangerous wreck.

Users can also switch off the display of soundings, lights or text, as well as change the sounding measurements from meters to feet.

The ENC stores the feature, its latitude and longitude, and its descriptive information. For example, when reading a ENC, OpenCPN “knows” the depth of soundings, and can display it in feet or meters depending on your preference. Furthermore, one can control the way OpenCPN displays the data by switching off the display of soundings, lights, or text as desired.

The CM93 charts are definately ENC's, revealing all local features with a right mouse click. Why else would Dave include the detail slider in OpenCPN? Raster charts or BSB/KAP charts do not have this option and can not be zoomed. Only vector charts can be zoomed.

Here are two charts,one CM93 ENC showing map details, the other a KAP RASTER charts with no hidden details other than what you see.
That is not a description of ENC vs. CM93. That's a description of vector vs. raster. It's just that the vector charts they are comparing are ENC vector (you probably pulled this from a site about ENC charts). FWIW: I have a similar discussion of vector vs. raster on my website in the link in my signature. Although it doesn't mention ENC or CM93.

ENC charts are one type of vector charts.
CM93 are another type of vector charts.

Now, if you want to get real technical, CM93 and ENC is actually very similar under the covers. But, for the purposes of telling someone what types of charts are on a particular website, they need to know if their software will be able to use it.

If they have software that will use ENC charts, but not CM93, then the "worldwide ENC" charts you mentioned will not work with their software. It will only work if their software will support CM93 charts.

-dan
Old 03-10-2010, 14:56   #9

I paid for mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

dave
I have no way of knowing if you are correct in your "Piracy" assumption, I can only tell you that I paid for my copy and when I bought the disc, I assumed that it was a legitimate purchase.

Perhaps you can offer advice to us all on how to spot the difference between a "Legitimate" purchase and a "Pirate" version purchase?

I'm sure it would be helpful to all of us who want the best we can get, at the best price we can find, without breaking any laws.

And as a starter, although the asking price Might be a clue, in my case, I paid rather a lot of money for my copy and although I thought it to be expensive at the time, I have come to appreciate it's true value.

Was I ripped off by a pirate merchant?, I have no way of knowing but I can assure you that when I bought my copy, I was confident that I was buying the "Real Thing" at a price very close to the prices I have paid for my Wide Area charts for my on board Navman plotter.

So tell me Dave, how do we law abiding citizens go about spotting the "Pirates" the next time we want to buy software and navigation tools?

James
Old 03-10-2010, 15:26   #10

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Unless you are in the fortunate position to be able to afford 'the good value' of $ 35.000 for world-coverage electronic charts as suggested by one of our forum members.
Old 03-10-2010, 18:07   #11
Obsfucator, Second Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Baines View Post
I have no way of knowing if you are correct in your "Piracy" assumption, I can only tell you that I paid for my copy and when I bought the disc, I assumed that it was a legitimate purchase.

Perhaps you can offer advice to us all on how to spot the difference between a "Legitimate" purchase and a "Pirate" version purchase?

I'm sure it would be helpful to all of us who want the best we can get, at the best price we can find, without breaking any laws.

And as a starter, although the asking price Might be a clue, in my case, I paid rather a lot of money for my copy and although I thought it to be expensive at the time, I have come to appreciate it's true value.

Was I ripped off by a pirate merchant?, I have no way of knowing but I can assure you that when I bought my copy, I was confident that I was buying the "Real Thing" at a price very close to the prices I have paid for my Wide Area charts for my on board Navman plotter.

So tell me Dave, how do we law abiding citizens go about spotting the "Pirates" the next time we want to buy software and navigation tools?

James
I'm pretty sure goboatingnow was referring to post (that has been deleted) which had a link to where you can get them for free. Since the link was deleted, it's kinda hard to see the continuity. But since it was a link to a site with pirated software, it was rightfully deleted.

What you have is probably legitimate. If not, then as you say, you bought it in good faith.

-dam

Tags
charts