Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2016, 13:35   #1

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA
Torres Strait Routes

I found these shipping routes but I'm wondering if there is a more direct route through the strait coming from east (Vanuatu) going west to Darwin for smaller boats. Or is this what most people do on smaller private sailboats? And if so what's the difference between the top and the bottom...

Thanks,

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1455485527.075308.jpg
Views:	1011
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	118921

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 13:43   #2

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Torres Strait Routes

You're actually better to stay out of the shipping channels for obvious reasons. Navigation through the Torres Strait is made a bit more difficult due to strong tidal currents which need to be considered when route planning. Plenty have done the trip though, so you should receive the advice you want.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 14:07   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Torres Strait Routes

From Port Vila I follow the main route... otherwise it means cutting down to where one can get inside the reef..
I joined the lane S of Eastern Fields then ran through Pandora's Passage up to Bramble Cay and hung a left.. try and time it for a favourable tide to help you run through.. a couple of sections have a 5kt side current and I found it necessary to stay on the side of the channel it was coming from to stay safe.. you'll be visited at least once a day by plane so keep your VHF on.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 15:25   #4

Greetings,

Check out Ken Hellewell's "Torres Strait Passage Guide".

Ken's route brings you on the Barrier Reef at Raine's Island, then it is an easy passage to Thursday Island with safe anchorages along the way.

Cheers,

Roger
Sharki127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 15:30   #5

theway,

I am in the Marshall Islands, planning on departing here in May for the Torres Straits. In my opinion Ken's route appears easier than the Bramble Cay, or northern route.

If you can not obtain a copy of Ken's book let me know. I wouldn't copy it without sending Ken some money but we can work that out.

Cheers,
Old 14-02-2016, 15:43   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Torres Strait Routes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharki127 View Post
Greetings,

Check out Ken Hellewell's "Torres Strait Passage Guide".

Ken's route brings you on the Barrier Reef at Raine's Island, then it is an easy passage to Thursday Island with safe anchorages along the way.

Cheers,

Roger
Once you close you will get regular fly overs.. the first radio contact will be to get all the info about boat and crew.. planned route and destination.
If you anchor along the way before clearing in DO NOT be tempted to launch the dinghy to walk a desert isle.. you'll be busted.. as it is.. that close in you'll get a lot more attention..
Have a safe crossing whatever way you choose..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 18:29   #7

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA
Torres Strait Routes

Thanks all, I'll see what I can find on Kens route and look for Pandoras and Bramble.

If anyone with Kens can maybe do a general mockup on a chart or google earth I would appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 19:12   #8

theway,

To get an idea of Ken Hellewell's route draw a straight line from Raine Island Entrance to Thursday Island. He provides about 45 way points between those two points.

By all means notify the Australian Authorities in advance of all your specifics and your intentions. Visa in advance, mmsi no., call signs, photo of your boat, ETA. They want to know when you are arriving, who you are, where you are going. No fresh fruit or vegetables.. their rules are all online. None of this is a problem. You will be clearing in at Thursday Island.

Roger
Old 14-02-2016, 21:23   #9

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Point your browser to:

Queensland Tide Tables (Maritime Safety Queensland)

and then look for the link to the 2016 Queensland Tide Tables (PDF, 3.49 MB ).

After saving the pdf, look at page 82 for the Tidal Stream Predictions for Hammond Rock.

In the predictions you'll see the times (in Local = UTC +10) of slack water and maximum set. For example, on 20 Feb at 0531 you could expect a set of 7.13 knots to 080 degrees while at 2349 you could expect a set of 4.75 knots to 260 degrees.

Al
Old 15-02-2016, 00:17   #10

Boat: Island Packet 40

Come a bit earlier, clear in at Cairns, do a leisurely cruise up the coast day sailing. pass through Albany passage anchoring at Turtle Bay, slip around the Cape to Seisia, pass over the shoals W of crab island - there is plenty of water for small boats, across to Gove then another leisurely coastal cruise to Darwin.

Do not believe all the horror stories you hear, I have been cruising the eastern, northern and western Australian coasts since 2002 and other than coast watch flyovers have yet to be even approached by any authorities.

I have a set of the 800 series charts for pretty well all the sections of coast I cruise but seldom pull them out anymore as I have found the CM93 charts I use with Opencpn to be accurate enough.

Stay out of the recommended shipping lanes as much as possible, the things that use them are monstrous and travel like bats out of hell, in the close waters they don't need you getting in their way and you don't need close shave experiences with them.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 01:30   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

If you've got the time, I second RaymondR's comments.

If not, then take the northern route - you do need to roughly follow the path of "Two Way Route", but in most areas you can and should stay a fair way outside it in a small vessel.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 17:49   #12

Hi guys!

We are just about to leave the Solomon Islands and I am trying to find Ken Hellewell's book as an ebook so I can pay and download it. Does anyone know where I can find it? Does anyone have the waypoints I need to do the entrance by Raine Island and then find my way to Thursday Island?

Best regards

Daniel
sbaydreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 05:20   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Daniel.

Spiral bound ➥ Torres Strait Passage Guide : Ken Hellewell : Cevennes Productions Endeavour : 9780972749206 | The Chart & Map Shop

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 00:29   #14

Gordmay -

Thanks but we are leaving tomorrow and I dont have time to order the actuall book!

Anyone that has useful waypoints for the trip: Reine island to Thursday island?

//Daniel
sbaydreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 21:17   #15

Hi All,

Apologies if this is a silly question but, are there any passages through to the Arafura Sea which are more northern than the shipping channels near to Thursday Island, closer to PNG? Does anyone have any experience of taking a more northern route or is it impossible?
Won't be clearing in to Aus as merely transiting to Indonesia/E. Timor.

Thanks in advance for any info.
TabbyTig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
route