Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2018, 06:57   #1

toms river to atlantic city inside NJ ICW with 5 1/2 draw

We draw 5 1/2. Has anyone done the NJ ICW down to atlantic city to be able to tell me if we will have any problems. looks pretty shallow. Thanks
thanasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 08:13   #2

Re: toms river to atlantic city inside NJ ICW with 5 1/2 draw

5 1/2 is pushing it although I havent been up that far in a while(I'm in Cape May).It's only ever dredged to 6ft.

What is your air draft/clearance? If you're going past the inlet the AC expressway has a fixed bridge that is pretty low by sailboat standards.I recall its 35ft,so keep that in mind if going further south. The water is better but the bridge usually rules it out.

I've only ventured that far in a power boat so sorry I'm not of much help. But if you dont get a solid answer here I'd try Bassbarn's forums.There are a lot of locals from the area that post on there.

I think you're going to find yourself going outside to be honest. The times I've been through behind Brigintine it was quite shallow and I was in a 36 Hatteras that draws around 4-4.5ft. We ended up churning up a lot more mud than I care to admit. But again this has been a few years.
Almost-There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 05:43   #3

air is 33. decided to go on the outside. thank you
thanasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 07:30   #4

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

If you go through Barnegat, pick a good day otherwise the inlet can be a choppy if not sporty.

Also carry some fly swatters for the greenheads before you get out as they have a big appetite for crew.

Have a good trip.
Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 09:10   #5

Boat: Shannon Shoalsailer

We traveled up from Cape May to Wildwood last week in our powerboat. We draw 3 ft. Ran aground at low tide 1 nm north of Wildwood, off the magenta line but in line with markers. Saw plenty of 4 ft depths between there and Ocean City, Great Egg Harbor Inlet where we went outside to Mansaquan. Between the depths and oblivious anglers fishing in the channel, it was too stressful to take in the scenery and really preferred the outside route. Can't comment on the segment you are contemplating, but air draft would have been a major concern for us if we were on our sail boat. shoalsailer32.blogspot.com
Bay Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 05:25   #6

Boat: Seidelmann 299 30

Been up and down Manasquan to AC several times in a sloop drawing 5'6" several times no a problem. Stay inside the markers.
louisstubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 13:56   #7

Lightbulb Re: toms river to atlantic city inside NJ ICW with 5 1/2 draw

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisstubb View Post
Been up and down Manasquan to AC several times in a sloop drawing 5'6" several times no a problem. Stay inside the markers.

When?We never fully recovered from Sandy and on top of that we had several VERY bad NorEaster's this winter that frankly were worse than sandy was in the southernmost counties(Cape May and Atlantic).

As Baybreeze found out it is quite shallow in spots and I'm waiting to hear back from a buddy that works for Seatow to see what he has to say.
As far as airdraft goes the AC Expressway is 35ft and is closer to 33 at high tide at times.Other than that most bridges open except for the Ocean City and North Wildwood Causeway's but I think they are around 55ft,dont hold me to that though. Either way I'd caution anyone in a sailboat of 5ft or so draft thinking about running inside. I'm not saying it cant be done,It's just not going to be fun. i know of quite a few channel markers that are useless this year and if you didnt know where the shoals where you'll be aground. There's also a few spots where the deepest water is 3-5 ft from the banks and again if you dont know where to go you'll be aground.

I actually planned on running up there today but the guy coming to look at my Avanti is running late.
Almost-There is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icw