Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2017, 13:41   #1

Boat: DeFever Pilothouse 49'
Tips for trip from Victoria, BC to Half Moon Bay, Ca in July of 2017

Hello,

Planning a passage from Victoria, BC to Half Moon Bay, Ca on a Defever 49' Pilothouse (twin Lehman power boat). Scheduled for July 15th 2017 and am looking for information to make trip as safe and sound as can be. Anyone out there give me some pointers on weather, coordinates, and locations recommended to stop off along the passage.

I really appreciate all the support to prepare for the trip ahead.

Thank you,
Nicholas
Nic.A.Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 18:54   #2

Boat: 49ft custom power catamaran
Re: Tips for trip from Victoria, BC to Half Moon Bay, Ca in July of 2017

Not terribly fond of schedules when going up and down the coast. I moved from Newport OR to Port Angeles WA last week. I waited for 2 months for calmer seas. They do seem still to be reasonable. Neah Bay is the most likely spot to stop before leaving San Juan Defuca and heading south. Westport Marina in Grays Harbor is a good stop. Reasonable fuel prices and fees. Have also stopped in Garibaldi and found that acceptable. The Columbia bar requires reasonable timing but is certainly doable. Newport OR would also be a good place to stop. I find there are too many crab pots to run overnight on the coast. Haven't been south of Newport yet.

Bill
wefleenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 19:19   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

There are a number of posts that the Google Search should show up on CF that cover this passage. Lots of info on the various ports.
I'd cross over and clear into the US at Port Angeles. Then make your way out the Straits to Neah Bay. Hang there for a decent weather window to make a few days progress. Then make your stops as needed.
Old 05-07-2017, 20:53   #4

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Made the trip north and south many time on deliveries in both power and sail. Heading south it is downhill all the way.
I took a DeFever 54 from Port Townsend to San Diego in October several years ago and while it was a little bouncy heading out past Cape Flattery, once we turned the corner it was a walk in the park! Had a crew of 3, one was a total neophyte, others had some experience and were OK to stand watches.
We did it in one shot except for an overnight in Noyo River (Fort Bragg) just below Humbolt Bay because of heavy seas off Cape Mendocino.
The most important thing to remember heading south is to make certain you are at least 40 miles out before turning left! You want leave a lot of sea room between you and the Columbia river mouth. I have routinely taken the outside route down the coast. Out 10 miles or so, there are many pleasure craft and fishing vessels and a fair bit of debris. Out to around 20 miles mostly larger fishing vessels, draggers and factory ships. Out between 25 and 40 miles is cruise ship territory and beyond that are the alaska tankers. Personally, I have always opted for the furthest from the coast I can get. Heading north, there is a contrary current running north of about 1/2 knot out to around 8 miles, primarily in the winter months.
It is a nice passage just watch for decent weather windows and don't be tied to a schedule.
The USCG will be happy to give you bar conditions all the way down and will even come out to guide you if the bars are passable. If you don't have experience crossing bars, do NOT attempt on your own. The Coasties would rather guide you in than have to pick you off the rocks! They routinely monitor16 and as I recall 23.
By turning 90 degrees once you are 40-50 miles off Flattery, that will drop you about 10 miles off Pt Reyes, just north of San Francisco. Cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote