Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2017, 01:00   #1

Boat: Oyster 49
TimeZero (Maxsea) Ipad App and Mapmedia Data

I carry Imray paper charts and the Imray pilot guides for navigating in the Med. This is supplemented by Navionics charts on my Raymarine plotter and phone.

I am looking for an electronic solution to paper charts as a backup and for route planning away from the boat. I have identified the TimeZero Ipad App accompanied by raster charts supplied by Mapmedia.

Has anyone had experience with the quality of data for this setup in areas like Italy and Greece? Are the larger scale charts for coastal regions and ports (eg similar large scale to those available from Admiralty) included in the data? Are there any problems with the app and any other better solutions to consider?
Neziak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:33   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: TimeZero (Maxsea) Ipad App and Mapmedia Data

Can't speak to your specific chart and iPad related questions...

But I can say TZ is a very full-featured nav system, and the MapMedia raster charts we use seem to be true copies of NOAA paper charts for our areas. Their NOAA vector charts seem to be every bit as useful and accurate as the C-Map charts we use in a different charting app.

We chose TZ because it's a functional duplicate to the NN3D system in our Furuno chart plotter. We use it on a Windows laptop, so can't speak to the iPad version. Ours is v2 and I'd guess v3 could offer some improvements, dunno what they'd be...

-Chris

Tags
Ipad, maxsea