Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-12-2013, 22:27   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CAL 35 - "Callisto"
Thornless VS Turks?

Just got a copy of Gentleman's Guide and have a couple of questions I couldn't quickly find the answers to in the book.

I am thinking of heading South in Sept '14 and have the same questions most do about getting into the Caribbean from Florida. We would like to visit the Bahamas and Florida so a jump offshore is out of the question.

Is it better to head South to Cuba, DR, PR and then BVI's following Mr Van Zandt's instruction or does following the Island chain down through Turks and Caicos to PR allow you to avoid a lot of the bashing or does that route provide a beat too? At what point do you start to generally encounter the SE trades? Everyone says Turks and Caicos has nothing to offer but I went there as a teenager and the snorkeling was some of the best I've done.

Also any American sailors out there been to Cuba using any of the loopholes, ie a non tourist visit? As an alternative to hitting the USVI we might consider looping back West along the North Coast to Havana and heading back to Florida if the kitty starts to run out too soon
Unbusted67 or just Ben
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: