Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2014, 17:28   #1
cruiser

Boat: Boat less at the moment.
Think I found my Radar

I am in the process of buying a 26 foot Sailboat for serious water sailing">blue water sailing. I want a Radar but they are big, my boat has limited space and they are relatively expensive. But I think I found the one I like to have.

I think its a JRC but also sold under the Sitex brand name, JRC JMA 1030 ~ $2000 or sold as Sitex T-760 ~ $1500

Link: Sitex-T760 Color, Touch Screen, 4kw Radar

I also found the Manual online: Owners Manual Sitex T760 (Scroll the first 6 pages)

What you Radar experts think of this little Radar.

CeesH
Reiziger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 17:58   #2

Boat: Various
Re: Think I found my Radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiziger View Post
I am in the process of buying a 26 foot Sailboat for serious blue water sailing. I want a Radar but they are big, my boat has limited space and they are relatively expensive. But I think I found the one I like to have.

I think its a JRC but also sold under the Sitex brand name, JRC JMA 1030 ~ $2000 or sold as Sitex T-760 ~ $1500

Link: Sitex-T760 Color, Touch Screen, 4kw Radar

I also found the Manual online: Owners Manual Sitex T760 (Scroll the first 6 pages)

What you Radar experts think of this little Radar.

CeesH
I haven't used a Sitex but Furuno has a unit in the same size range and same price range and I've been happy with Furuno radars.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 18:21   #3

Boat: PSC Orion 27

With a small boat wouldn't you be better off having one screen for everything? Like a chartplotter that you can display radar, AIS, etc on when you need it, but doesn't take up room when you don't.
The reason I ask is; I've got an old radar display that I'm about to remove (once I figure out how to remove the glued-to-galley-top mounting bracket) to replace with one display.

Something like this;
GARMIN GPSMAP 741xs / GMR 18HD Radar Value Pack | West Marine
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 18:41   #4
cruiser

@goat
I like the Garmin GPSMAP 741 Value Pack. The thing is that I want the AIS and Radar inside to be used when I sleep. I bought a Garmin GPSMAP 640 (2 years ago) with 2 docking stations one inside and one at the helm. I bought the 640 because its battery backup, limited sources of energy, so when I am low on energy it still works on its own battery.

CeesH
Old 14-12-2014, 09:33   #5

Boat: Snipe, Roughwater 41, and Islander 36

You might consider a not-too-small multi-function display that swings out for you to see in the cockpit but also have below to view in bad weather and set it up to tuck out of the way when you don't need it.

Also, whatever maker you choose for your radar/mfd, consider warranty and service worldwide if you are taking off.
CLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 10:45   #6

Boat: sabre 28

I had a Sitex T-100 radar on one of our powerboats. It never gave us any trouble & thing would pick up lobster buoys which was pretty handy when your headed off shore in the dark.
misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 12:32   #7

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

Have a SiTex my 35', 20 yrs now never a problem...my sons inherited the boat.On my new cat I have a Garmin one screen display for all functions.....I like it.
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 13:09   #8

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

"...for serious blue water sailing..." But where are you actually going?

Space, weight and budget are all major considerations for small-boat/blue-water sailors; so the first question shouldn't be 'which' radar, but 'whether a radar.'

We spent nine years sailing a 27-footer around the UK, across Biscay, around the Iberian Peninsula, then the length and breadth of the Mediterranean. The boat had no radar and whilst there were days where we stayed in harbour/at anchor because of poor visibility, I can think of only three occasions in nine years that we thought: "Damn, wish we had a radar."

Our current boat, which we've sailed from the eastern Med to S. America, Caribbean, and the east coast USA as far as Maine is fitted with a radar as there was one on the boat when we bought it. That radar (an old Furuno) has been used in anger once in three years; not in Maine either, it was off Fernandina Beach about a week ago. Again, there have been days where we've not gone out due to poor visibility, but even with the radar fitted, we wouldn't contemplate going to sea if we needed it so 'see'.

Everyone has their own needs/priorities and if we were a 'working' boat and obliged to go out come what may, then yes I'd want a radar, but on a 'cruising' boat, radar isn't high on my priority list.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 13:43   #9
cruiser

@bobnlesley,

I will buy the boat in the UK and will set sail to the Caribbean spend there some time island hopping. Finally I will end up in Brazil, I know that means almost back to the Cape Verde.

I read in your post multiple "We's" for me its "I" as I am a true Single Handed Sailor, I need some Electronic mates watch-out during the time that I take my rest. Did the Pond many times without these toys but now a few days older I think I need them

CeesH
Old 14-12-2014, 13:47   #10

Boat: Bluewater 40, Cal 20, Bayliner Avanti

...considered a simrad 4G unit broadband type...
Old 14-12-2014, 15:03   #11

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

One multi-purpose display?? One fuse blows & you have nothing.
Also,when you REALLY need a functioning radar-pea soup fog/black night,it's best to not have too much info "confusing" the picture.One wrong "button push" & you lose "the big pic" of your surroundings.
Radar is the only thing that shows other vessels & un-charted objects.
IMHO.

The Si-tex shown looks OK-no personal exp.with this model,but the specs are good-5deg beam on 18" dome is about std.Yes-it appears to be JMA/JRC built,which surprises me,cause Si-Tex has been owned by Koden for many yrs,& their radars were built by Koden.I sold many Koden radars,that are still working great,after 20-25 yrs on Comm.fish boats,used yr round.Same with Furunos-both good products.JMA/JRC made some good radars too.

Best of luck & run it every day-that's how u learn radar-when u can see by eye what radar displays,u gain proficiency & trust.

Cheers/Len
deblen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar