Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2016, 18:09   #1

Boat: Bristol 41.1
They Are Closing the Waters to Everyone!

Reports now being received indicate that the ICW, portions of Lake Worth Lagoon, and the Atlantic Ocean, are prohibited from entry or passage from now thru January 2, 2017.

This due to the planned Christmas vacation of Donald Trump.

Is this for real???

SERIOUSLY?????
redsky49 is offline   Reply
Old 16-12-2016, 18:16   #2

Boat: Sailboat
Re: They Are Closing the Waters to Everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
Reports now being received indicate that the ICW, portions of Lake Worth Lagoon, and the Atlantic Ocean, are prohibited from entry or passage from now thru January 2, 2017.

This due to the planned Christmas vacation of Donald Trump.

Is this for real???

SERIOUSLY?????
any citations? otherwise I book this as fake news...
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply
Old 16-12-2016, 18:28   #3

This is precisely what they did at Thanksgiving:

Donald Trump’s Palm Beach visit prompts Coast Guard to set security zones | Post On Politics

Now Orlando TV station WFTV has the story:

Coast Guard locks down waterway access ahead of Trump holiday visit to Mar-a-Lago | WFTV
Old 16-12-2016, 18:31   #4

"Entering, stopping or anchoring in the security zone is prohibited without express permission from the Captain of the Port Miami or a designated representative, the Coast Guard said.
Violation of the security zones could result in an $88,000 civil fine, $10,000 criminal fine and up to 12 years in prison."

Welcome to the New Order.

Are you aware how heavily this area is used by boaters, particularly this time of year.

And for those snowbirds heading south who intend to jump off for the islands...
Old 16-12-2016, 18:38   #5

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978

Quote:
"Entering, stopping or anchoring in the security zone is prohibited without express permission from the Captain of the Port Miami or a designated representative, the Coast Guard said.
Violation of the security zones could result in an $88,000 civil fine, $10,000 criminal fine and up to 12 years in prison."

Welcome to the New Order.

Are you aware how heavily this area is used by boaters, particularly this time of year.

And for those snowbirds heading south who intend to jump off for the islands...
Well, this is not exactly unheard of, presidential visits have increased security for decades. Why this is surprising is what surprises me. Nothing to do with "the new order" but all to do with "presidential presence" and security in this day of terror cells and literally millions of illegal aliens with no way at all to know which are here for why, and when or if they will engage in bad behavior of the political terrorism sort. Don't blame Trump, blame the one that lets them keep coming in and brought that Ohio State terrorist in without even rudimentary background checks. Obama did that for you! Blame him....

People blaming Trump for things he has not even done yet... Sheesh...
SailingFan is offline   Reply
Old 16-12-2016, 18:46   #6

Obama is responsible for this? That is your reasoned response???

I don't begrudge the guy a vacation, but at the inconvenience of thousands, or tens of thousands, for weeks?

Why not just wall off all of Florida? He's big on walls, I hear.
Old 16-12-2016, 19:08   #7

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978

Keep sippin the Koolaid folks.. This is a passing thing, people get all twisted when someone shuts down half a town for a parade, but it does not make news. Same goes for areas where presidents live or even visit (like Martha's Vineyard) when politicians are in the area. I know of a EX pres that shut down an airfield runway a while to influence an attorney general about his wife's campaign problems, and no horrific outcry. But let it be Trump wanting to go spend some time on the water in a coastal area, and all the world explodes. No this has far less to do with blocked travel and far more to do with political hatred... Come on, folks, use your heads instead of your emotions, and take a real look at it from the security perspective of the new president, even if you seem to have a problem that he won. I assure you, Clinton would have been at least as problematic were she to come into the area, and for good or even better cause, given how so many actually do feel about her, both here AND abroad, regardless of what the media puts out there, because she is truly hated by some folks who simply don't like Trump because he is outside the mainstream political establishment, unlike her.

Surely one can find another way around for a couple weeks...
SailingFan is offline   Reply
Old 16-12-2016, 19:14   #8

Boat: Tanzer 22

Someone of you have never been in a major city when a president visits. They close freeways down during rush hour. People trying to get home can't. It's been happening for decades. This is nothing new. This time it happens that the freeway is a navigable waterway
NoahTreat is offline   Reply
Old 16-12-2016, 19:22   #9

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahTreat View Post
Someone of you have never been in a major city when a president visits. They close freeways down during rush hour. People trying to get home can't. It's been happening for decades. This is nothing new. This time it happens that the freeway is a navigable waterway
They close the freeways for maybe 30 minutes each side of the time the president passes. They don't close it for 2 freaking weeks.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply
Old 16-12-2016, 19:23   #10

Boat: 2019 TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahTreat View Post

Exactly. You should see the issues it causes in Seattle when the pres. shows up here. Always at rush hour. Shuts down the whole city. The standard crappy 1 hour commute now takes 4 hours to get home. Always happens when any president goes anywhere.
Old 16-12-2016, 19:28   #11

Boat: Tanzer 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
They close the freeways for maybe 30 minutes each side of the time the president passes. They don't close it for 2 freaking weeks.

If the president lived by the freeway, they would shut it down when he was home. Guaranteed.

Don't take everything as a personal attack. This not an attack on boaters. This is the world we live in.
NoahTreat is offline   Reply
Old 16-12-2016, 19:45   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

According to what I read there are three security zones. The zone that includes the ICW boats must proceed at constant speed and cannot slow or stop. Seems like transit will be allowed.
skipmac is offline   Reply
Old 16-12-2016, 19:56   #13

Forget blaming immigrants or Obama. Don't blame this on the Clintons, the Jewish Bankers Conspiracy or the Illuminati.

This isn't a political discussion, despite the trolling. This is about free navigation on public waters.

How about keeping boats 50 yards from shore or some reasonable distance?

And comparing the shut down of a roadway for a few hours is absolutely not comparable to the closure of waterways for weeks. I worked in DC for many years! I know the drill.
Old 16-12-2016, 19:59   #14

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I sat on the tarmac in ORD for two hours while bill Clinton got a haircut. Do you expect things to change?
Tetepare is offline   Reply
Old 16-12-2016, 20:19   #15

Boat: 2019 TBD

Quote:
Forget blaming immigrants or Obama. Don't blame this on the Clintons, the Jewish Bankers Conspiracy or the Illuminati.

This isn't a political discussion, despite the trolling. This is about free navigation on public waters.

How about keeping boats 50 yards from shore or some reasonable distance?

And comparing the shut down of a roadway for a few hours is absolutely not comparable to the closure of waterways for weeks. I worked in DC for many years! I know the drill.

So the partial closure (only half will be closed the other half you can still travel through) is worse than shutting down traffic and causing gridlock for a city of over 600k people. Ok....

Tags
water