Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2010, 12:26   #1

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
The New iPad

Apple just unveiled the new Ipad today, Apple unveils $499 tablet, $629 with AT&T data - Yahoo! News , and with all of the boating apps I wonder how others think this will fit in with our boating needs? WG

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 12:32   #2

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
Apple just unveiled the new Ipad today, Apple unveils $499 tablet, $629 with AT&T data - Yahoo! News , and with all of the boating apps I wonder how others think this will fit in with our boating needs? WG
On our shopping list (for use with an external bluetooth GPS), but only for below-decks use.

-Sven (Apple Fanboy)
Old 27-01-2010, 19:42   #3

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps
Says 10 hours battery life. Wonder if it woulds accommodate
my Nobeltec? I think I'll wait a year and take a look.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:57   #4

Boat: Melina Clipper 411, Beneteau
Send a message via Yahoo to stevern Send a message via Skype™ to stevern
Befcause I have to buy a new GPS I'm asking if it's better to buy a I-Pad or not! Does i work in similar manner or more or less or in different way? Sorry for my not well english, ciao!!
stevern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:10   #5

Boat: Farrier f27
I think it's like a big I-phone and don't they work off the cell phone system with those range limitations. ATT is notoriously bad with coverage even on land.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:18   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevern View Post
Befcause I have to buy a new GPS I'm asking if it's better to buy a I-Pad or not! Does i work in similar manner or more or less or in different way? Sorry for my not well english, ciao!!
Don't know what the availability is for coverage, applications, etc. overseas, but this is no way designed to replace a GPS, plotter or anything else on your boat, but rather to be a supplement to them only in the sense that usable apps for the boaters are available. And it is not available to the public yet as far as I know. WG

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 01-02-2010, 09:40   #7

Boat: Island Packet 349
I agree that an iPhone chartplotter should not be considered a primary navigation source, although with a waterproof case and a proper mount it may be. As a backup, however, it is great. If the Navionics app works on iPod the same way it does on iPhone, it would make a great nav station tool down below. If the iPod GPS sensetivity is improved compared to iPhone, that it.

iPhone's GPS does not need cellular communication, it works as a normal GPS receiver. Navionics charts are permanently installed, not constantly downloaded like Google Maps. It worked for me 100 miles off shore as well as on the land. This Navionics app for iPhone is the best $10 I have ever spent.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:33   #8

Boat: Island Packet 31 (35'), Black Squirrel
I want one - mainly because the iphone interface has been so cool and I think it could be the first real Kindle competitor. (I love my Sony but Kindle has the content)

Also the ability to load and watch movies, then all the apps I love are suppose to work on it (e.g. Navtronics was mentioned). As an aside, real battery life sounds like 3-4 hours for most normal use. GPS running? Keep her plugged in.

Kefaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:40   #9

Boat: Cal 2-46
LuvToSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 13:27   #10

Boat: Melina Clipper 411, Beneteau
Send a message via Yahoo to stevern Send a message via Skype™ to stevern
Hello lost! for another question..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
I agree that an iPhone chartplotter should not be considered a primary navigation source, although with a waterproof case and a proper mount it may be. As a backup, however, it is great. If the Navionics app works on iPod the same way it does on iPhone, it would make a great nav station tool down below. If the iPod GPS sensetivity is improved compared to iPhone, that it.

iPhone's GPS does not need cellular communication, it works as a normal GPS receiver. Navionics charts are permanently installed, not constantly downloaded like Google Maps. It worked for me 100 miles off shore as well as on the land. This Navionics app for iPhone is the best $10 I have ever spent.
Hello, another quetsion, excuseme. Because my wyfe shold want to go to Miami for a2 weeks she likes toknow if that area i nice to sail and if in the case to rent a sailboat is expensive . Do you yell me something sbout , please<? Thank in advance Ciao Pierstefano
stevern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 13:45   #11

Boat: Island Packet 349
Yes, it is nice to sail around Miami, except it is quite hot and humid from June to October.

Unfortunately, I never rented a boat here, so cannot provide a personal opinion on those services.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 14:17   #12

Were I to get a big iPhone, I think I would want to be able to use it as a phone too.
clearsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 17:06   #13

I think I read that until there is more development, apps will display at the same size they do on iPhones & iPods. So no full-screen experience for apps, for who knows how long.
Old 04-02-2010, 17:10   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
I think I read that until there is more development, apps will display at the same size they do on iPhones & iPods. So no full-screen experience for apps, for who knows how long.
That is correct and not correct. The apps specific to the phones will work but will display the same size as the window on the phone. They can be enlarged but the quality and clarity will suffer, but probably not a lot. The iPad has its own platform and the apps that will work best with it will be based on that platform, available now. It seems to be an easy transition so you can expect most app developers to quickly redesign based on the iPad separately. WG

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 04-02-2010, 17:30   #15

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
COOL!..Finally a cell phone I can see...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad