Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2010, 03:51   #16

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Another little misunderstanding. The iPad will be able to connect on line but it will have no phone capabilities. WG

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 21:59   #17

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
Ipad + waterproof case (like otterbox) = the ideal boating PC?
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:05   #18

Boat: pdq mv34 'dana louise'
iPad for Nav - compared to......

My 2 cents worth on this: GPS hardware is only included with the iPad wwan version - i.e. 3g model - but no need to pay ATT anything - just the extra $130 up front to apple. My experience with a similar setup on my Lenovo t400 with 'high brightness' screen and wwan/gps board is excellent - even compared to usb external 'best of breed' gps. The ipad is unlikely to have the 690 nit screen as on this lenovo so frankly imho the t400 is a better choice - if you already have a reliable win7 nav program e.g. rosepoint coastal explorer and want to use above deck. If not, and you are primarily navigating down below I think the $629 ipad with navionics nav is a reasonable choice. Regarding 3g/wifi on board in my experience the Verizon mifi card is a better choice as supports 5 devices with better coastal coverage than ATT. Just me and my mate = 2 laptops and 2 smartphones so there is 4 and ipad makes 5 [ipad for Louis our labrador - he loves animal planet on slingmedia and cannot use a qwery kb]
Brian
PS Two years ago verizon dumped me cuz I logged 700 GB's one month in Marathon FL - too much 3g tv. They said I took up half of that cell tower data traffic - ha. I think they are over that after losing a class action suit. Hopefully now they warn first.
bstronger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:08   #19

Boat: 1994 fourwinns,cabincruiser,28ft, Oh Yeah! Life is Good
Send a message via Yahoo to curiouscruiser
Re: The New iPad

Do you get charged an additional fee besides the $10 a month when useing the gps function on your phone when in Canada?
curiouscruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:22   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstronger
My 2 cents worth on this: GPS hardware is only included with the iPad wwan version - i.e. 3g model - but no need to pay ATT anything - just the extra $130 up front to apple. My experience with a similar setup on my Lenovo t400 with 'high brightness' screen and wwan/gps board is excellent - even compared to usb external 'best of breed' gps. The ipad is unlikely to have the 690 nit screen as on this lenovo so frankly imho the t400 is a better choice - if you already have a reliable win7 nav program e.g. rosepoint coastal explorer and want to use above deck. If not, and you are primarily navigating down below I think the $629 ipad with navionics nav is a reasonable choice. Regarding 3g/wifi on board in my experience the Verizon mifi card is a better choice as supports 5 devices with better coastal coverage than ATT. Just me and my mate = 2 laptops and 2 smartphones so there is 4 and ipad makes 5 [ipad for Louis our labrador - he loves animal planet on slingmedia and cannot use a qwery kb]
Brian
PS Two years ago verizon dumped me cuz I logged 700 GB's one month in Marathon FL - too much 3g tv. They said I took up half of that cell tower data traffic - ha. I think they are over that after losing a class action suit. Hopefully now they warn first.
Same thing happened to me....banned from Verizon. They lost a customer with me, will never use them for cell phone or Internet service again. I have AT&T cell service now and Sprint for Internet .
LostAtSea2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:18   #21

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

After some research, lets see if I got this right: the GPS receiver on the iPad is actually attached to the GMS cell phone chip, so the Verizon version (CMDA) of the iPad will need some kind of external GPS receiver to act like a chart plotter, because it has no internal GPS receiver. But, if you have the AT&T iPad, you don't need to actually be within the cell phone coverage area for the GPS to work.

confused yet?
Old 04-03-2011, 17:43   #22

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

iPad 2,

The one you want for Offshore Navigation is the iPad with Wi-Fi + 3G.
It has assisted GPS. $629 to $829

No monthly fee required.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iPad2.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	24550   Click image for larger version

Name:	iPad2_price.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	24551  

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 18:28   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug86 View Post
After some research, lets see if I got this right: the GPS receiver on the iPad is actually attached to the GMS cell phone chip, so the Verizon version (CMDA) of the iPad will need some kind of external GPS receiver to act like a chart plotter, because it has no internal GPS receiver. But, if you have the AT&T iPad, you don't need to actually be within the cell phone coverage area for the GPS to work.

confused yet?
Is that true?? I was going to go with Verizon as a redundancy (I have AT&T iPhone)
Old 04-03-2011, 18:37   #24

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

capngeo

Not true.

Both AT&T and Verizon model iPad with Wi-Fi + 3G has assisted gps.
For offshore use without a monthly contract.

Mark
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 18:38   #25

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug86 View Post

confused yet?
well, that wasn't quite right. The iPads from either carrier will work with GPS as if you have a 3G version. My confusion was from back when Verizon didn't sell the iPad and you could still use one on the Verizon network through a WiFi connection.

Can you imagine if the government had let private companies manage the GPS signals like they did the cell phones? Your Raymarine GPS would only work in the USA, unless you had a Canadian version, which would offer world wide coverage, but only in French. Meanwhile, the Furuno GPS would only work at night in the northern hemisphere unless you purchased their "world chip" service for extra $$$.... there would be a free GPS service, but it would only work on the Great Lakes. Oh, and all the National Parks would still be on LORAN....

Tags
Ipad