Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Keeping celestial nav skills alive
Never learned, too many sight reduction books to haul around 18 8.22%
Plan to learn, on the "to do list" 80 36.53%
Learned, but no longer practice 56 25.57%
Learned, but only practice to keep the skills 50 22.83%
The hubby/wife does it 1 0.46%
Learned, practice every chance for that perfect pin wheel 14 6.39%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2012, 08:08   #211

Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.
Wink Re: The New and Improved Celestial Navigation Poll

Gosh.. I am in the majority on this poll ( procrastination is my long suit)...in the mean time..I will continue to use the "calabash"....but the chop on the water always makes that a bit difficult...ROFL
susanna reiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 08:33   #212

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind
Re: The New and Improved Celestial Navigation Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
p.s. For all of those that buy old Russian or Iranian sextants made from brass in wooden boxes etc. : for $0.99 you can just buy the iPhone app and be done with it

ciao!
Nick.
Ok Nick - I give up! Where is it? I've looked everywhere in the Nav catagories for I-tunes App store - can't find it!
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 09:25   #213
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoduck View Post
Ok Nick - I give up! Where is it? I've looked everywhere in the Nav catagories for I-tunes App store - can't find it!
Turn on iPhone, go to app store, select search, type sextant, tap go....

First hit is the app.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 10:07   #214

Boat: a sailing boat

I think a plastic sextant is a nice thing for training and may be used as an emergency or backup equipment. But anybody who does want to use their sextant for navigation may consider going right for a simple metal one: they are not much more expensive, they are more accurate and they offer better mechanics&optics.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 10:12   #215
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel
I think a plastic sextant is a nice thing for training and may be used as an emergency or backup equipment. But anybody who does want to use their sextant for navigation may consider going right for a simple metal one: they are not much more expensive, they are more accurate and they offer better mechanics&optics.

b.
For emergency survival mode?

cheers,
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 10:31   #216

Boat: Haida 26

I shoot my sextant quite often while underway. I'm 64 yrs old now and try to keep my brain active w/ math to keep the grey matter from turning black..I too use the GPS daily and have a plotter. But we all need something to stay busy. Alway's carry paper charts on board and use them. I have found serveral errors w/ chart plotter info.. It's just peace of mind for me & the wife..Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 10:34   #217

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

Quote:
Turn on iPhone, go to app store, select search, type sextant, tap go....

First hit is the app.

cheers,
Nick.
Now why didn't I think of that?
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 14:18   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

b.
How accurate does a sextant have to be? Any sextant, the plastic ones included are more accurate than the human using it. A high dollar insturment may give you a warm and fuzzy feeling but it will not insure you that you will get a better LOP from an observation.
moira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 20:36   #219

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
How accurate does a sextant have to be? Any sextant, the plastic ones included are more accurate than the human using it. A high dollar insturment may give you a warm and fuzzy feeling but it will not insure you that you will get a better LOP from an observation.
First let me say that a plastic sextant such as a Davis Mk 15 is sufficiently accurate for practical navigation and is capable of reliably getting a good operator within 4 to 10 miles of true position. I would certainly advocate one for a beginner learning the ropes; if one eventually decides it is too much trouble and prefers instead to use electronic navigational aids instead, then one won't be out a whole lot of money. A top of the line metal sextant on the other hand, can get you within a mile or less if you are careful. A Davis would be perfectly adequate for getting you to a destination provided the destination is relatively large and easily spotted. If your destination is a small, low-lying island like Howland or Gardner, a good top of the line sextant such as my C.Plath or Freiberger will put you within visual sighting distance; a plastic sextant might if you are both good and lucky, put you within visual range, but most likely will not.

The following has some interesting insights into using a plastic sextant:

http://www.starpath.com/online/celestial/plastic.pdf
Old 25-02-2012, 21:06   #220

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
First let me say that a plastic sextant such as a Davis Mk 15 is sufficiently accurate for practical navigation and is capable of reliably getting a good operator within 4 to 10 miles of true position. I would certainly advocate one for a beginner learning the ropes; if one eventually decides it is too much trouble and prefers instead to use electronic navigational aids instead, then one won't be out a whole lot of money. A top of the line metal sextant on the other hand, can get you within a mile or less if you are careful. A Davis would be perfectly adequate for getting you to a destination provided the destination is relatively large and easily spotted. If your destination is a small, low-lying island like Howland or Gardner, a good top of the line sextant such as my C.Plath or Freiberger will put you within visual sighting distance; a plastic sextant might if you are both good and lucky, put you within visual range, but most likely will not.

Now your speaking my language. I'll bet you pin wheel your LOPs on a small scale chart, don't you?
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 06:38   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post

The part about the food fight covinced me that I had reached the end of this thread.
moira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 10:22   #222

Quote:
Originally Posted by moira View Post
I am afraid, half of the time, you may be wrong. Think about it this way:

- there will be some observation error,
- there will be some data/calculation error,
- there will be some instrument error,
- etc.

Now, if we assume these small errors will balance out, then your attitude is correct. But how likely is this, and are we going to bet our security on it?

Cheers,
barnie
SMALL PRINT: SOMEHOW ERRORS TEND TO SUM UP at least half of the time ...
Old 26-02-2012, 10:28   #223

Quote:
For emergency survival mode?

cheers,
Nick.
I think a position from a plastic sextant is better than no position (well, read it: better than a DR after a 1000 mile+ run.

I think inexpensive metal sextants are worth the small extra we pay for the metal.

Having used a cheap metal sextant (for navigation) and a plastic sextant (to see the difference) I would pick up the metal one for navigation.

b.
Old 27-02-2012, 06:14   #224

Has any one ever used easynav software. You can enter sights cog sog and it acts like a plotter. Plus you wouldnt need all the books. I have just downloaded the free trial once I get it figured out I'll tell you how I feel about it. Hopefully someone has tried it.
alacrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:29   #225

I bought a new sextant, and a few books. Intend to teach myself (like everything else) when I really need to.
Used one in the past for coastal (horizontal) - reckon its worth it just for that use.
But, horizontal is probably about 2% of its potential/knowledge required for celestial.
I am also planning to get captain's license, and become proficient with SSB - lot of dust on these books..(cpy&pasted from other cn thread).
Is a calculator, or software program worth it - or anathema to the whole idea? And how many books - almanacs and sight reduction tables do you need?
thx
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
celestial navigation, navigation, poll