Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2009, 22:25   #1

Boat: Ingrid 38 S/V Semper Fi
The Chart Table

If you had the opportunity to wave your magic do-over wand how big would you make the chart table? Would you want to be able to sit down or standing only? Where would you place it in relation to the companion way?

I'm Westling with space in an Ingrid 38 that I'm building out and would really appreciate your views on the chart table.

Glen
04 Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 22:36   #2

Boat: Swan 56
Half the size of an Admiralty chart
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 22:51   #3

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Half the size of a chart with nothing else on the table but the chart, and a good seat and lighting. Also a place to store charts and nav tools, and room to look at any electronic equipment I might want.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 23:47   #4

Boat: Swan 56
To expand:

In an ideal world:

I would want to sit at a chart table, facing forwards and for the chart table to be located where it will not be pooped by water coming through a companion way, hatch or dorade. (So forward of companionway and off to one side). Not too dark in day time, and a good light for night.

I would want to be able to place a chart on top without having to quarter it and have access to all chart tools, navigation equipment and boat management systems without leaving my seat. This includes, paper charts and tools, chartplotter / PC, boat instruments, battery monitors, breakers etc etc.

As more and more people move to PC based navigation, the chart table and the laptop or PC start to fight for space. The best system that I've seen to overcome this was a remotely located PC, a monitor on the bulkhead opposite and a flexible (roll-up) keypad kept in a small nook adjacent to the chart table (typically where you would keep your tide tables etc). with a mouse (which was the old wired type).
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 23:54   #5

Bewitched,

That's great input, thank you for your time and interest.

Glen
Old 30-10-2009, 00:07   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Theres no room for a chart on the chart table because thats where the laptop is.

So the chart table needs to be the size of the laptop and space for cable, GPS, mobile phone, modems, ear plugs for Skype, 12 volt stepup box to power computer and sundry pens, shopping lists (of Nics), engine keys and my wallet.

If you do ever use a paper chart its layed out onto the saloon table where it actually fits

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 08:17   #7

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30
I would make it just big enough for the laptop. Any bigger and a lot of other stuff that should be stored somewhere ends up on the chart table.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 08:43   #8

I have mixed feelings about stand up or sit down really. Chart table should be large enough to hold the most common charts you will use. Handy to use with the boat heeled. Imagine you are coasting with the wind blowing 20 knots and dodging reefs etc. Too windy for the chart outside and you might need to go down and up repeatedly to look at the chart. This would indicate that a stand up table is more useful.... and can usually be larger too. No fiddles on the chart table... flat and smooth to the edge....just get in the habit of putting the pencil in the receptacle. Make a "clip" to hold the top edge of the chart. Maybe the best of both worlds is a locking swing out stool under a stand up table. That way you get a large table, the ability to do your chart work under way quickly and without sliding in and out of a seat. Easy to brace yourself in lieu of sliding out of the seat and a seat to sit on for work when at anchor. For route planning, with chart or laptop "all" can view the plan at a stand up table. If you have SSB or Ham radio, dont forget the radio/computer time you will be spending and will want a seat though. Of course handy receptacles for parallel rules, dividers etc. Nearby chart storage so when you realize you need another chart NOW, you can get it .
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 10:57   #9

Cheechako,

Many thanks for your time and well thought response. I am leaning towards a forward facing chart table. That is roughly 32" deep by 42" wide. I had already designed a pedestal seat that would allow me to swing in and out for easy entry. My Plan is to have a small sized laptop on the hull side of the table in a pull out drawer/shelf This one will have my electronic charts loaded and be hooked up to a USB GPS antenna. The centerline side will have a full sized laptop on the same pull out device for other work. This will keep all of the wires and cables out of the way.

I like your idea of no fiddles and a clip to hold the charts in place.

With some keen input, I am re-thinking and updating whee and how big to make the chart table.
Old 30-10-2009, 11:07   #10

Yea... I hate getting toward the edge of a chart and discovering the parallel rules are going to hit the fiddle before I get to where I want to be!! A low fiddle wont keep the chart on the table when heeled anyway. Years ago I made a SS bracket for my laptop; it folded up on the bulkhead forward and when in use it folded down on the table top and then slid toward the bottom edge of the table to be used. It was pretty slick until the laptop needed replacing and of course the new one was bigger! I used those ball bearing drawer slides to make it slide down.... It should be easier now to make something, back then I had all those RS-232 bulky cables to deal with...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 11:33   #11

Boat: Irwin 40
This is my nav station on my Irwin 40 I have a shuttle PC, SSB, VHF, stereo, AC and DC outlets. The printer is on a shelf under the table. You will note a fire extinguisher under the table as well. Nice bright florescent light and small fan help. Electronics panel for nav instruments. A cell phone booster is behind the panel. The shuttle x is connected to a monitor at the helm as well as the TV. All run on 2.5 KW inverter. Oh and note the easy button for emergencies lol. Not saying this is the only way to go but it has worked well for me and it is an excuse to show off lol maybe someone will get an idea or 2 from it, and I wanted to have an excuse to try attaching a picture lol.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...1&d=1256927209

Wayne Canning, AMS
projectboatzen.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2242a.jpg
Views:	2094
Size:	414.8 KB
ID:	10779  
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 22:51   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewitched View Post
To expand:

In an ideal world:

I would want to sit at a chart table, facing forwards and for the chart table to be located where it will not be pooped by water coming through a companion way, hatch or dorade. (So forward of companionway and off to one side). Not too dark in day time, and a good light for night.

I would want to be able to place a chart on top without having to quarter it and have access to all chart tools, navigation equipment and boat management systems without leaving my seat. This includes, paper charts and tools, chartplotter / PC, boat instruments, battery monitors, breakers etc etc.

As more and more people move to PC based navigation, the chart table and the laptop or PC start to fight for space. The best system that I've seen to overcome this was a remotely located PC, a monitor on the bulkhead opposite and a flexible (roll-up) keypad kept in a small nook adjacent to the chart table (typically where you would keep your tide tables etc). with a mouse (which was the old wired type).
The only place in our boat that comes close to the area you would like, is our salon table.
Old 30-10-2009, 22:55   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewitched View Post
To expand:

In an ideal world:

That's a cozy little area you have, now if it could be just a little bit roomier.
Old 30-10-2009, 23:44   #14

JiffyLube,

As it turns out I can't have that much space either. When I updated my CAD drawing for the layout plan, the inches started to shrink away. When all was said and done the area left after allowing for electrical panels, RO Unit controls, navigational books etc. was a flat table that was 32 deep and 35 wide. However, based on what I've heard from this group and other Ingrid 38 owners that seems to be a generous area.

Originally, I had the table placed fore and aft on the port side of the hull. With the athwartship placement and a relocation of the heater it has allowed for more room and one additional storage area. Which I will need for the purpose that I have in mind for this boat.

Again, thanks for your input and thoughful response.
Old 31-10-2009, 00:25   #15

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Good discussion...I really disliked the nav station in my boat more then any other feature...I tried to fathom the usability of the stand only configuration but I just could not grasp the sense of it...Not having any offshore experience i will freely admit I don't know what I don't know...But being able to sit and ponder things makes more sense to me even cutting the table in half to do it...Also adding another forward facing sitting area just makes sense as far as eating or conversing with others in the saloon.

Having to rewire my boat however gave me the opportunity to think about changing it..I haven't started yet but here is an example of what I will be going for..my new electrical panel unlike this example is by my choice mounted on the bulk head behind the bench seat so I have full and easy access to it.

The first picture is what I have befor I moved the electrical to the back bulk head the second is what it will sort of look like but I wont have that pod thingy on top of the table..I do like the angled bit to the left though.

We will loose three drawers which is a bummer but such is life.

The last two of course is the new panel in its new location.

The location is good 5' behind the companonway hatch so should stay dry.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	000_3607.JPG
Views:	362
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	10796   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chart Table-2.jpg
Views:	1374
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	10797  

Name:	000_0014.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	354.8 KB
ID:	10798   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0009.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	316.4 KB
ID:	10799  

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote