Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2009, 01:58   #16
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
I tried to fathom the usability of the stand only configuration but I just could not grasp the sense of it...
Having to stand up to use the computer means that posts on CF would be shorter and less frequent! BONUS!!!!!!!!! LOL

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2009, 03:48   #17
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yea... I hate getting toward the edge of a chart and discovering the parallel rules are going to hit the fiddle before I get to where I want to be!!
Have you tried a Breton Plotter instead of Parallel Rules? (no moving accross the Chart )

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2009, 08:51   #18

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Having to stand up to use the computer means that posts on CF would be shorter and less frequent! BONUS!!!!!!!!! LOL

Mark
OK.. don't hold back ...I know you had to restrain yourself and edit that post about 5 times going back and forth wondering rather I could handle it or not..so I fixed it for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Having to stand up to use the computer means that Stillrainings posts on CF would be shorter and less frequent! BONUS!!!!!!!!! LOL Mark

I got the hint regardless...well...to that all I can say is my wife would agree wholeheartedly ..

Anyway...I still love ya man...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2009, 09:56   #19
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
I spend so much time at the chart table that if I could wave the magic wand I'd make the seat more comfy. Not certain how to do that when the "backrest" is a bulkhead, however.
Old 31-10-2009, 10:38   #20

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I spend so much time at the chart table that if I could wave the magic wand I'd make the seat more comfy. Not certain how to do that when the "backrest" is a bulkhead, however.
Bash...is that an uncushioned bulkhead your leaning against or something like I have pictured and planned?

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2009, 17:53   #21

Boat: a sailing boat
I do not think a chart table is necessary, if one uses electronics. But it is a nice to have. My dream placement would be in a small driver's house - along with the wheel (or at least the control of the auto, the plotter and a bunk for those days that some rest is possible or a must). Daydreamin, I know.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2009, 18:29   #22
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
OK.. don't hold back ...I know you had to restrain yourself and edit that post about 5 times going back and forth wondering rather I could handle it or not..so I fixed it for you...

Anyway...I still love ya man...
Ooops! Sorry! I was meaning me! If I had to stand up!

I gotta say that the Nav station is my sole 'boy spot' in the boat.
Nicolle can have her galley, saloon, bedrooms, storage cupboards etc but close to me in my nav station I have all my switches, wires, things with screens, comms and boy-toys.
It is worth it to have it well designed. Stillrainings one looks beautiful! I could veg out in there and get no work done for whole days!

Back to 04 Marine and his thread: It is important for each of us to know what your use will be for the nav table because these days some do want paper charts to spread, and others have no use for them (except on the saloon table). As the sizes and configeration of an electronic nav station are totally different than paper charts it is important to work it out.

So too with standing or not standing, or a swing out stool. One would have difficulty typing standing up; but also I can't type so well on a round top stool. Some may love arm chairs and others dont like the arms when typing.

Have fun designing you perfect table. Few get the chance

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2009, 20:31   #23

Boat: Ingrid 38 S/V Semper Fi
Mark,

A great reply...this time.

I left out what I intend to do as it has been an overly debated subject of late. I learned to sail 50 years ago! For the most part the sextant was still state of the art in those days. So I'm definately not 16 but just a bit more if those numbers are transposed. As my screen name implies I'm a Marine Corps Major (Ret.). I've logged nearly 10K offshore miles as a singlehander but have not sailed in many years. I have a two year gameplan to fit out my Ingrid 38 and one year of intense re-introduction to singlehanding off shore. I've always had a bit of a lust for adventure and would like to do the singlehanded non-stop RTW before I get to old to enjoy it. Here are some of my other adventure:

As a young enlisted guy I flew some 350 combat missions as a helicopter door gunner.

For 2 years I was a Marine Corps Drill Instructor

I've done survival training in the Phillipines, and witner survival in the high Sierras.

I done Mach II in the back seat of a F-4 Phantom

Built a 38 sailboat some years back

Built several expermental airplanes mostly Canards (Composite) and one tube and fabric bi-plane

Climbed glaicers and run marathons and had to have both knees replaced with one's built in a factory

I see a solo RTW adventure as an opportunity to test myself, my physical and mental endurance before I get to a point in life where adventure means that I'm signing up for the wheelchair races at the rest home

To answer your question, I like the idea of a mix of paper and electronics for navigation. I'm comfortable with both and still know haw to use my sextant.

I'm not looking for sponsors and really don't want to be beholding to them. I build metal art that I give to those who donate to my cause, but it is a pay my own way basis.

I would like to thanks everyone for their responses. The photos were great. I have garnered enough information to formulate how and where I will place the chart table. Again thanks to all who took time out of their busy schedules to respond.
04 Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:00   #24

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
What's a chart table? Just kidding! Actually now they have all been converted in computer work stations. Everything needs to be "bolted down" so to speak when out in rough seas, so printers, scanners, and other items need to have "planned" places and restraints.
- - So the chart table gets eaten away by computers and their supporting machines. A knockdown caused by a wave or a passing power yacht can throw valuable equipment - like your computer, et.al. - off the table and onto the floor which can be a very expensive mistake. So design your "computer station" to allow for hold-downs for all the gear.
- - Unless you are a 2-person crew with one person always on watch at the helm, locating any navigation instruments or doing chart work down below - with nobody up on deck on watch - can also be deadly/expensive. I would suggest planning carefully your cockpit/helm layout to allow all the necessary navigation functions and communications functions to be carried out without having to "go below". If you are in the planning stages of your "dream boat" or re-fitting your older boat - it pays to move all necessary "primary" navigation/communications up to the helm/cockpit. It is getting rather busy out there in the seaways these days and going below for more than a minute or two can be deadly (nobody on watch).
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:02   #25

Boat: Islander Freeport 41, AEGEA
This is my nav station on my Irwin 40 I have a shuttle PC, SSB, VHF, stereo, AC and DC outlets.
Wayne,

I have lost two laptops to salt and am thinking of putting a "desktop" in a protected area and wiring it to a navstation. It looks like you have done something similar. Am I correct and, if so, how has it worked out?

BTW, what is a "shuttle" computer?

Dick Pluta
AEGEA
Dick Pluta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:13   #26

Boat: Ingrid 38 S/V Semper Fi
AEGEA,

Your response is appreciated. Like most who have plans of taking on the Southern Ocean I have done away with the wash boards and sliding companion way hatch in favor of a near vertical hatch with dogs and a spray deflector over. This should limit some of the pooped water from getting below. I did move my nav station a bit further forward in an effort to keep the area drier. I have no ventilators except for the engine compartment, although, I may rethink that and put in two that are in benign locations in the event that I forget to seal them in weather.

Based on your equipment list, I suspect that is pretty much the same that I will be installing.

Glen
usm-c.com
04 Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:05   #27

Boat: Irwin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Pluta View Post
This is my nav station on my Irwin 40 I have a shuttle PC, SSB, VHF, stereo, AC and DC outlets.
Wayne,

I have lost two laptops to salt and am thinking of putting a "desktop" in a protected area and wiring it to a navstation. It looks like you have done something similar. Am I correct and, if so, how has it worked out?

BTW, what is a "shuttle" computer?

Dick Pluta
AEGEA
A shuttle PC is a gamers PC it has all the power of a full sized PC in a tiny box. It has the advantage that it uses a standard hard drive so that makes upgrading or replacing that part easy. It also has built in graphics card that allows 2 monitors and s-video output. A built in high end sound card that i have connected to the stereo for tunes or watching movies on the TV. It has sound USB and fire wire ports on the front very handy. I have a NMEA combiner so i get GPS and wind speed and depth data on my monitor. Draw back is high power consumption but i find i only need the detail charts when i am inshore and likely have the engine running. I do plan to upgrade solar and wind generators so that should help too. This unit has a fluid cooled processor which helps in the enclosed installation. I also have a USB external hard drive for back up. I also use a old Panasonic tuff book as a backup. i bought both computers on EBay for about $150 each

Wayne Canning, AMS
projectboatzen.com
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:52   #28

Boat: EliBit, Evolution 25
for PC's on board i should check out those in car pc's used by the car guys who are building their own PC systems in cars.
bitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:07   #29

I rebuilt the instrument panels w/ black PL and teak.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030060.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	420.5 KB
ID:	10839  
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:48   #30

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Computers on board - I have been using standard PC's you buy at discount in the mega stores or on the internet. You can get the latest and greatest for from $300 to $800 for the super fancy. **Just check out the brand/model before at one of the discount mega- computer selling stores first - the reason is you want to find the make/model with the brightest LCD screen. Some units have dimmer screens which are cheaper to make but will not be viewable in the bright sunlight of the Tropics.
- - You can also buy extension cables for your keyboard, mouse and monitor. Then leave the computer down below safely out of the elements and have the monitor and mouse/keyboard up in the cockpit. You can build a splash proof enclosure for the monitor or buy some 2 gallon zip-lock baggies and place it over the monitor like a hat. Wireless keyboard and mouse can eliminate the cables for them.
- - You can buy on-line the Chinese "hockey-puck" 20 channel USB GPS units for under $25. They are designed for the automobile roadmap systems. The marine stores sell the same type GPS for $200+. The PC computer navigation applications make great primary or back up navigation if you have a chart plotter. The "hockey puck" GPS is powered by the computer so if the main ship's power fails you have the battery inside the computer or power from a genset/inverter to keep your navigation system up and running.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote