Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-03-2014, 23:00   #1

The Australian Bight West to East

We have to cross the Bight west to east and on to Hobart
Opinions wanted on routes to take It's going to be an epic mission The yacht we have to take across is only a Roberts 28 .

Is there anyone else who's crossing in 2014 who would like to buddy up We will have 2 on board..And all the safety gear possible including a life raft..

Old 08-03-2014, 01:53   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: The Australian Bight West to East

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44rob View Post
We have to cross the Bight west to east and on to Hobart
Opinions wanted on routes to take It's going to be an epic mission The yacht we have to take across is only a Roberts 28 .

Is there anyone else who's crossing in 2014 who would like to buddy up We will have 2 on board..And all the safety gear possible including a life raft..
From where might you be leaving? It's already March, and February would really have been the best month.

There's another CF member, GILow, who plans to do it next year, from Adelaide.
You might send him a PM.

We are located in Tassie now, and planning to head north "soon"-ish.

Ann

Old 08-03-2014, 02:12   #3

Boat: Tops'l Schooner
Hi I have crossed 3 times all I can say it's. Very unpredictable I have had 12 m seas flat seas and the best storm sea sat on a sea anchor for 12 hours 70+ kn wind, and how long to cross 7days or 14 days jump off point Esperance to port Lincoln or Robe it's a big crossing.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:34   #4

Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord

As Ann says,March is late in the year but I am assuming you aren't leaving right away. What is your etd?
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:03   #5
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'

Boatman61 did it about 18 months back in a 31" Van DeStadt Dogger however he is currently out of internet range being somewhere in the mid North Atlantic.

Last port in WA was Albany and next port was Port Fairy Vic to get more fuel. He then crossed Bass Straight and down the east coast of Tassie. IIRC it was late October / early November.

As others have posted, it is getting rather late now unless you are planning for late spring / early next summer. Late summer will often see eastlies within 100 or so miles of the coast as the highs drop very low in the bight

All the evidence I have suggests it is very unpredictable.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:03   #6

Boat: Junk rig Schooner

The time to do it was before mid January & in the Spring. Late Jan, Feb and March have too many easterlies which are on the nose. April gets better and I know boats go across then, but later than April you're in winter storm territory. We were wanting to do it, but the boat wasn't ready before the easterlies set in. We aren't interested in going in Autumn.
Good luck.
Old 08-03-2014, 17:07   #7

We are in busselton,I was thinking early summer,september october is supposed to be a good window
Old 08-03-2014, 20:31   #8

Boat: Junk rig Schooner

This is March, and Esperance is getting Sou'westers for the first time in months.. I know, I've been watching seabreeze the whole Jan & Feb, since we were sitting around Quindalup/Busselton at the time. Looks alright now..
Old 08-03-2014, 23:50   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Rottnest View Post
The time to do it was before mid January & in the Spring. Late Jan, Feb and March have too many easterlies which are on the nose. April gets better and I know boats go across then, but later than April you're in winter storm territory. We were wanting to do it, but the boat wasn't ready before the easterlies set in. We aren't interested in going in Autumn.
Good luck.
I'm not interested in Autumn either,I'm quite happy to sit and wait for good weather window's,I know of some good sheltered place's on the way but they are a long way apart , I missed the early window as the yachts not quite ready .
Have some fishing freind's out of esperance who fish south australian coast,
So we may even cheat and have the yacht towed across the worst part..
Old 09-03-2014, 04:05   #10
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44rob View Post
I'm not interested in Autumn either,I'm quite happy to sit and wait for good weather window's,I know of some good sheltered place's on the way but they are a long way apart , I missed the early window as the yachts not quite ready .
Have some fishing freind's out of esperance who fish south australian coast,
So we may even cheat and have the yacht towed across the worst part..
Hmm... I have a different opinion .

It will be highly unlikely that one of those sheltered spots will be close enough should you suddenly feel the need for shelter. In addition you will be closing onto a pretty desperate lee shore. IMO, you will be better off by being a couple of hundred miles offshore.

Again just an opinion, try to be south of the late spring highs and as the wind starts in the NW and back to W and finally SW, you just zig zag SE, E & NE just below 40S.

As for towing, I reckon that would far worse than sailing.

Rule of thumb, deep water well off shore is far safer any water near shore regardless of weather.

YMMV.

By the way, September will be pretty cold and it really is still winter IMO.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:05   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Hmm... I have a different opinion .

It will be highly unlikely that one of those sheltered spots will be close enough should you suddenly feel the need for shelter. In addition you will be closing onto a pretty desperate lee shore. IMO, you will be better off by being a couple of hundred miles offshore.

Again just an opinion, try to be south of the late spring highs and as the wind starts in the NW and back to W and finally SW, you just zig zag SE, E & NE just below 40S.

As for towing, I reckon that would far worse than sailing.

Rule of thumb, deep water well off shore is far safer any water near shore regardless of weather.
YMMV.

By the way, September will be pretty cold and it really is still winter IMO.

I'm taking everything you say onboard well everything everyone suggests you are completely correct about deep water,I have more experience with cyclone area's than the south where we would have a chance to tie in a creek or hide behind a island I don't know the weather patterns of the south but am studying them now..to try and work the sea's out, witch winds roughens up the bight and what calms it,To steam across under engine power wouldn't worry me either..
Old 09-03-2014, 06:23   #12

Crossed the Bight January last year in a 40 ft seawind. Last anchourage was a day sail east of Esperance. First anchourage for us was Coffin bay SA. Great trip, little wind,lots of motoring. We all had a nice swim in the middle in very flat water 4kms deep. Lots of Bluefin Tuna sashimi.

Stay well off shore ie 150 miles or more from memory.

A 28 foot roberts is going to be painfully slow... Roberts are not known for speed and I am guessing she is steel too... heavy.

GIlow lives in Adelaide and to my knowledge hasno intention of crossing the Bight, his plans last I heard involve Bass Staite and Tassie, once he gets his boat ready and enough experience/confidence. A good plan.

If you are considering getting a tow as a option forget it, dangerous, uncomfortable and expensive. That tow statement has me wondering if you have any idea whatsoever what you are doing.

Do you have a reliable engine?

Do you know how to sail?

Not many boats do that crossing and the only boat likely to buddy up with you will be another 28 footer or similar... odds not looking good for the buddy up thing. On that crossing it wont take long for your buddy boat to dissapear over the horizon and you would be very lucky to even maintain vhf contact.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:52   #13

"We have to cross the Bight". No one has to cross the Bight it is something you choose to do.

Good to hear at least your schedule is flexible and you are prepared to wait for weather. The problem for you is your boat is not quick so the crossing will take a long time and your weather window wil not likely last and you will likely get caught in headwinds, bigs seas and big winds, it is the Southern Ocean and nothing but wide open ocean between Oz and f'n Antarctica.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:41   #14

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant View Post
Crossed the Bight January last year in a 40 ft seawind. Last anchourage was a day sail east of Esperance. First anchourage for us was Coffin bay SA.
Hey Giant, what a coincidence. We were camping at Coffin Bay at the time. Said hullo 1 or 2 times (from our Portabote). Talked to a lady on your Cat. Cheers
Old 10-03-2014, 02:28   #15

Yes I remember you Kjames. And I remember feasting on scallops at Coffin Bay and the relaxed attitude of people along that coast. Good memories and nice to hear from you.

Tags
Australia

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: