Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-03-2015, 15:50   #31

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Re: Tablet Navigation?

For less than $300 you can get a Google Nexus 7. It aquires GPS as fast as you boot it, accuracy compares to my plotter. Battery life is 8 to ten hours. If you drop it in the drink..its cheap to get another one. It also makes an excellent anchor alarm. No need to wall yourself into Apple, but if you already have, the correct model of IPad will do a credible job. I use navionics, it includes a lot if stuff like tides and currents. Both are excellent products.

Old 09-03-2015, 17:05   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
For less than $300 you can get a Google Nexus 7. It aquires GPS as fast as you boot it, accuracy compares to my plotter. Battery life is 8 to ten hours. If you drop it in the drink..its cheap to get another one. It also makes an excellent anchor alarm. No need to wall yourself into Apple, but if you already have, the correct model of IPad will do a credible job. I use navionics, it includes a lot if stuff like tides and currents. Both are excellent products.
I wasn't familiar with the Nexus 7 so just checked it out and the experts seem to like it a lot. But I think I'd prefer the larger display of a full sized iPod.

I've only played around with Navionics on my iPhone but it seems like a very user friendly program and runs raster charts, what's not to like?

Old 09-03-2015, 17:42   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!

So here are a couple of iPad gotchas.

Heat - The iPad will self protect and shut down when it gets hot
Screen - In bright direct sunlight difficult/impossible to read
Battery Life - With GPS running you will get a pretty short life (4 hours?) - Less if you drive the screen brightness up to read it

I love my iPad and use it constantly. Just disclosing some of my personal observations.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 18:31   #34

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Military spec waterproof tablets running Windows that are used by the police and like come onto the used market all the time. A bit pricey, but would make a perfect base for a DIY MFD / chartplotter as selected models have all the goodies - 12V power supply, wifi, gps, daylight screens, ip rated waterproof etc. At the end of the day the saving isn't much over a cheap plotter, but they have the advantage of both battery powered portability and the fact that they are essentially a small PC.
Old 09-03-2015, 19:05   #35

Boat: Catalina 30

I know the OP asked about tablets but here's another idea.

As to the goal to navigate the dink, I'm absolutely enamored with my GPS enabled handheld VHF. (A cheapie uniden) I nav the big boat with it too. But for a dink nav it's great - drop a waypoint where the boat is moored, and it'll take you right there. Oh, and there's also a VHF radio if ya need it.

Would be terrible if you needed a chart, 'cause it's just lat/lon.
Old 10-03-2015, 01:53   #36

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
I have a Nexus 7. Nice but the spec certainly overkill for something that may be dropped in the water.
ANY android tablet with a GPS is good enough for this task. Just get one with a glass screen. Plastik screens on cheap tablet or phones don't like salt chrystals from spray. They will get tons of micro scratches and become barely readable.

I'd go with something like a Motorola Defy, used, cheap, waterproof. Good enough to get you somewhere in the dinghy, good enough for a quick email check in the next free wifi bar. I don't want to lug around a tablet for this (i actually have done this for quite some time and i am much happier with a phone in my pocket now)
Leaves some money in the kitty for something else.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:32   #37

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
My question for those who regularly use a tablet for a similar purpose is which tablet and which charting program should we get?

Several threads on the topic; do a search.

We use Plan2Nav(C-Map vector charts) and MXMariner (raster charts) on Android tablets.

-Chris
Old 10-03-2015, 07:28   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Several threads on the topic; do a search.

We use Plan2Nav(C-Map vector charts) and MXMariner (raster charts) on Android tablets.

-Chris
You may prefer to "do a search" but I preferred to "start a thread to ask a question" of current users and current CF members, several of whom have done a very nice job of answering my questions and providing thoughtful analysis of both pro's and con's of options they are very familiar with, and this discussion has succeeded in getting me closer to the point where I feel comfortable making a decision on which product to go with!

BTW, there are several threads on nearly any topic you can name....
Old 10-03-2015, 09:22   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

I have seen Asus 8 incher Windows on Microsoft store website. This one has both GPS and GLONASS onboard. Just Add OpenCPN and you are pretty much set for around USD 150.

And if you stop liking it, you can always use it as a NMEA multiplexer and wifi router for other wireless equipment onboard.

b.
Old 10-03-2015, 18:19   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I just ordered a "refurbished" iPad version 3 from Amazon and a Lifeproof case off of eBay. I was tempted by the Asus, and even though i'm typing this on a Macbook Pro and use a iPhone 4s, I am much more comfortable with PC's than I am with Apple products and the other computer aboard is a Windows 7, on a large Dell laptop at the nav station.

But in the harbor where the boat will spend at least the next 3 summers, the only cell reception is via an AT&T tower, so I bought the iPad3 which is capable of receiving that signal, just in case we want it for things other than navigation. I didn't mention that earlier because I only found about the new cell tower this morning while talking to the harbormaster about getting my new mooring. Also, I am fairly familiar with how Apple tablets work because of my iPhone experience, and I've already used the Navionics program on my iPhone. It's also bluetooth enabled so we can put music on it and pair it with either of the boats stereo's wirelessly. chose the 32Gb version 3 so we'd have enough room to add some music and the version 3 over the version 2 because the picture and refresh rate is supposed to be clearer and faster and it was only about $40 more. I realize that some of the other options mentioned would have done most of these things as well, but as far as I know, the iPad is the only one that is capable of receiving the AT&T signal and that put me over the edge. Thanks to all for your input.
Old 10-03-2015, 18:31   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!

You won't be disappointed...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:48   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
You won't be disappointed...
BTW, your earlier mention of an overheating tendency caused me to consider that too, and keeping in mind it will be used in the sun, I ordered a white one and a white or light gray lifeproof case. I realize that most of the heat comes from the inside, but figured that every little bit helps and there was no sense in having a black frame or black case soaking up even more heat from the suns rays. Thanks again for your assistance with this.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:01   #43

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

Good choice.
Both my phone and IPad have gone into protection mode a couple of times when I left them in direct very hot sun in probably 40 c ambient temps but it's not often they are in direct sunlight for this long if they are you wont see the screen anyway.
As for power use mine is good for about 4 hours running navionics but I have fitted a cigarette type plug to the boat that has two female USB ports so simply use the standard supplied cable and leave it connected most of the time.
Chris
Old 11-03-2015, 06:13   #44

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
You may prefer to "do a search" but I preferred to "start a thread to ask a question" of current users and current CF members, several of whom have done a very nice job of answering my questions and providing thoughtful analysis of both pro's and con's of options they are very familiar with, and this discussion has succeeded in getting me closer to the point where I feel comfortable making a decision on which product to go with!

BTW, there are several threads on nearly any topic you can name....

Didn't mean to be interpreted that it was wrong to post a new question; just meant you'd also find more info from previous threads, too.

Notice I answered, too.

-Chris
Old 11-03-2015, 07:11   #45

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Keep in mind that a tablet doesn't necessarily have to be in the cockpit to be exposed to sunshine.
My iPads shut down a couple times sitting on the nav table in the sun.
Changing courses and keeping tract of the suns entry through the companionway could be a real challenge therefore tablets with overheat protection is a great feature.
I make it a habit to cover my iPad with a towel for protection from the sun or throw it in a drawer.
You chose well.

Tags
navigation

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: